Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 30,000 away fans!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 279 Guests

30,000 away fans!

This thread currently has 2,892 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
October 31, 2019, 6:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
German football does stuff right yes, remember working in Germany over a decade or so ago and bumping into a Munich 1860 fan, we had a right good football chat his English was superb as was his knowledge of all the tiers of English football... He knew all about Grimsby Town and came out with some facts prior to my era that even I only just knew about, Wilkinson v. Everton etc etc. He asked if I had heard of Munchen 1860 to which I said yes; from my Championship Manager escapades venturing into the Bundesliga and beyond after doing English football to death 😅

It was quite eye opening all the schemes they had over there catering to fans, he was a season ticket holder and said they had a plastic credit card style card they used to swipe through turnstiles which automatically earned them points for offers etc and I believe his two Sons received their Season tickets free as part of a family offer. I got the impression supporters very much appreciated and looked after.

Left me thinking how behind them we are (or were, but over ten years on still are), anyway after a good 20 minute chat he said he'd keep a close eye on Grimsby results from now on. Wonder if he still does.

He said his family could have chosen to support Bayern Munich but everybody supported them so they chose the more homely local feeling underdogs who needed support to stick with through thick and thin, I related completely saying its the same being a Grimsby fan when so many plastic Man U fans about.

On a side note, couldn't have met a nicer bunch of people... Of course there was the odd Anglophobe neanderthal just like you u get the minority far-right extremist element here but it totally changed my opinion of them after being young and sucked along with the general anti-German/nazi element of being a proud England supporter a decade or two ago.

Don't think a Jurgen Klopp would have been quite so welcome way back when, in fact for years Germans were very rare on the English football scene.

I digress 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Gaffer58
October 31, 2019, 7:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
If scunny extend Glumford Park to a 35k then we would beat their 30k easily, and it would also leave space for the 3k scunny fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 30,000 away fans!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.