5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
October 30, 2019, 3:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Begging letters from schools asking parents to contribute to their budgets because they don’t have enough from public funds. Not extra money for special treats or fancy facilities. Money for normal stuff like paper and books.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Maringer
October 30, 2019, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding the chlorinated chicken, it's almost certainly not a health issue in itself. The problem is that they have chlorinated chicken because their standards for livestock are so lax elsewhere and it is the only way they can get the stuff to be edible!

That is the thing we definitely don't want. Nor their beef which is pumped full of growth hormone and antibiotics - more than ten times as much in antibiotic supplements as our own cows are given!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
codcheeky
October 30, 2019, 6:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Absolute rubbish, the core Conservative leave vote will remain firm, it's the Labour vote that will collapse in leave areas, either by moving to the Brexit party, or more likely abstaining, because they hate Corbyn/ don't want a 2nd referendum a.k.a stop Brexit, and feel Labour are a lost cause.

However much you or Boris the Clown want it to be Brexit, most think, rightly, the NHS is much more important. Even the yanks are talking about cancelling student loans and backing fracking and being in bed with big oil will do the Tories no favours, expect the environment to be a big issue as well
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
KingstonMariner
October 30, 2019, 7:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Already in full flow, looks like he's had a word with the chaps who were paying him £275,000 a year to write a couple of paragraphs every week, asking them, 'as there is an election coming, if they could swerve any sort of responsibility for Grenfell from the tory government to those incompetent fire brigade workers risking their lives.'

Interestingly the news here in Finland just featured the Grenfell inquiry then news of the general election. We’ve become a flipping laughing stock as a country. We used to be a country where things like that no longer happened. Dozens of people burning to death because of dodgy decisions to cut costs on building standards mixing with inadequate safety resources  is the sort of thing that happens in corrupt developing countries, and shouldn’t be happening in one of the richest countries in the world.

I hope everyone who is anxious to ‘get Brexit done’ by backing Boris remembers that before they put their cross in the box.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
codcheeky
October 30, 2019, 8:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Interestingly the news here in Finland just featured the Grenfell inquiry then news of the general election. We’ve become a flipping laughing stock as a country. We used to be a country where things like that no longer happened. Dozens of people burning to death because of dodgy decisions to cut costs on building standards mixing with inadequate safety resources  is the sort of thing that happens in corrupt developing countries, and shouldn’t be happening in one of the richest countries in the world.

I hope everyone who is anxious to ‘get Brexit done’ by backing Boris remembers that before they put their cross in the box.

https://www.theguardian.com/co.....tain-hungry-election

This is the country we have become
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
FishOutOfWater
November 1, 2019, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
I see that Farage has thrown his ring in to the hat earlier which muddies the waters even more as far as I can see

As it stands ( and excuse me if I'm not seeing things perfectly ) then the electorate is going to be made up of

Left of centre who want to leave
Left of centre who want to remain
Middle ground who want to leave
Middle ground who want to remain
Right of centre who want to remain
Right of centre who want to leave

So in effect with the two "major" parties and the two "minor" parties and a first past the post system, there could be any number of outcomes. A bit like doing the pools where you used to do a perm...

It's only my take on it but this could end up decidedly messy and we'll maybe have taken a step forward but also another couple of steps back.....

Could be another Brexit entension on the cards if they need time to decipher the election outcome.... February 29th maybe? If not next year, then maybe the year after?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 42
Manchester Mariner
November 1, 2019, 2:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Could be another Brexit entension on the cards if they need time to decipher the election outcome.... February 29th maybe? If not next year, then maybe the year after?  

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Maringer
November 1, 2019, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
No surprise that Farage is contributing to the farrago as usual.

If the Brussels gravy train is finally going to end for him (by no means certain as yet), he wants to ensure he's got his next income stream ready. An MP's salary and the opportunity to keep his name in the lights as a parliamentary controversialist should do just fine. I wonder if he would actually bother to turn to up and do any work at Westminster?

By making a demand that Johnson can't possibly agree to (i.e. drop his deal for an electoral pact), he keeps himself in the limelight and makes a hung parliament more likely.

My guess is that there will be some behind the scenes deals so that Farage and a few of his flunkies get the opportunity to stand in very leave-y areas with little effort or expenditure put in from Tories in the expectation that they can win a handful of seats. Farage's backers will then not put much effort into winning Tory marginals but will instead go all guns blazing trying to take votes away in certain Labour marginals.

He'll still be an utter excrement, whatever happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
grimsby pete
November 1, 2019, 3:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I think the election will not sort anything out instead we will be in a bigger muddle than ever.

With no party having enough seats to govern they will all be doing deals trying to get in power.

Then they will have to agree what they are doing with a hundred other things apart from Brexit.

Chaos looms for the foreseeable.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Maringer
November 1, 2019, 4:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Interesting to see Trump openly interfering with our democracy and nobody seems to have complained about it too much yet.

Trump phones in to Farage on his LBC show and conveniently mentions that the US can't sign a free trade deal with the UK if we go with Johnson's deal with the EU (which is untrue, of course) and - lo and behold - shortly afterwards, the Brexit Party announces that an electoral pact is on the table with the Tories, if they reject the EU deal! Absolutely shameless collusion with a foreign power from Farage. 51st State indeed.

I would say that I hope it comes back to bite them on the bottom, but I think the Brexit Party are probably one of the best hopes for keeping the Tories out.

How on earth did we get into this shitshow?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › We are having a Election

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.