FishOutOfWater
October 25, 2019, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from diehardmariner
Off the top of my head I can think of 3 games that were called off due to waterlogged pitch at BP, all during the game.

Sunderland about 25 years ago.  Sunday game that was televised and ref called it off after a few minutes.
Derby a few years ago in the cup.
Macclesfield this season in the cup.  

All down to absolute freak downpours.  I think the Sunderland game may have been a result of some draining fault with Anglian Water come to think of it.

Both the Derby and Macclesfield games were downpours of biblical natures, no pitch in the world would have survived them.  

Be it good natural drainage or good care of the pitch, we do well at our level with the very low number of games called off due to the weather.  

That's not what the Derby fans said at the time..... they thought we didn't do enough to keep the game on. If only we had a sliding roof eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 33
dicko995
October 25, 2019, 3:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
just hope we don't 'leak' goals like we have been doing lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
thornemariner
October 25, 2019, 5:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +654
Gold Stars: 22
I think we were due to play Telford (?) a few years back and I'd travelled over from Donny for the game. I was surprised the game was off but apparently there had been an intense hailstorm that morning that had left big puddles on the pitch.

I can't recall that many postponements in my forty years watching Town as I think we do better than many clubs at our level and I always saw our pitch as invincible to the elements. There's no doubt though that it's been tested more in recent years. The ground where I am isn't waterlogged yet but if it carries on like this it will be. Fingers crossed anyway.

I went to Wrexham in January 2014.Everything had gone well. A 3 1 win to Brentford on the Friday night with the home fans giving stick to then Orient manager Slade and I had a cheap first class rail ticket to Derby the next day where I was picked up for the game in Wales. As soon as we got near Wrexham there was an almighty thunderstorm and that was the end of my double-header. A thunderstorm in January FFS.

Mind you, that thundersnow at Stockport in January (?) 2008 was something else when they had to move us under cover for the second half. I'm convinced the noise we made in that away section contributed to our win and a great night out in the end.

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2019, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
Surely these arguments are now water under the bridge now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2019, 11:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 140067

Isn't Yoda a little green thing and the last time I saw him demented he was.

Rude but to say he was demented is going too far. And Mr Marley is certainly not green.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
golfer
October 26, 2019, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
There should have been a precautionary pitch inspection by now to enable Cheltenham supporters to make a decision about travelling. If I got here and it was called off at 1-0 clock without the possibility being broadcast earlier I would be very angry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Northbank Mariner
October 26, 2019, 8:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from golfer
There should have been a precautionary pitch inspection by now to enable Cheltenham supporters to make a decision about travelling. If I got here and it was called off at 1-0 clock without the possibility being broadcast earlier I would be very angry.

I suspect they'll leave the covers on until around 11, that'll give the time to prepare the pitch for the match, have to say though I'm not holding out much hope for today's game to go ahead ..🥴🥴
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
barralad
October 26, 2019, 8:56am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Chester away August 2005. We got there to be met by a steward who said the game was off. We told him he must be joking so he let us into a side gate. You could "just" see the tops of the dug-outs. Amazing conditions...40 miles up the road England were playing "that" Ashes series in reasonable conditions...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
golfer
October 26, 2019, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
Town have come up with new innovations- 3500 buckets and  sponges can be picked up from car park. Paper fans to be issued once inside ground.  Patents applied for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
LH
October 26, 2019, 9:15am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,496
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from golfer

Yeah but it is Cheltenham fans...
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Prolonged rain is forecast

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.