2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
codcheeky
October 16, 2019, 7:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Now we have plastic bottles we just dump, we used to buy beer, lemonade and other soft drinks in the same way, now it is next to impossible to do so, and certainly the deposit scheme has long vanished (the bi-product of all this cheap sugar in plastic bottles is a diabetes epidemic)
Cars were a luxury, now it’s not uncommon for a single household to have three or four, tv’s and other electrical appliances are made to be on standby for ease of use, some cafes don’t have crockery even if your sitting in, food is covered in 2 or 3 layers of plastic, in short everything is easier, more affordable and disposable and getting people to accept this cannot go on is going to be very difficult, everyone can come up with a reason why they are special and desperately need something their grandmother never dreamed would exist, even if it is just to make the strange argument of them in China or India are nearly as bad.
Will we do enough, I doubt it, we have been told about this problem for the last 30 years, in that time we have not reduced emissions globally once, in fact we have increased them every year. The oil industry lobby is massive and like tobacco companies did they will drag this out as long as possible, but this is much more dangerous.
Without the government not only of this country but others as well making new laws we have no chance, as arryarryarry points out it is just too easy to be a hypocrite

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
grimsby pete
October 16, 2019, 10:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Another hypocrite comes out and say je feels like giving up on everything because most people do not care about saving the planet,

Guess who  ?

It's Lewis Hamilton who earns a living by driving a F1 car round and round a race track and jetting all around the world to do it.

When he is not working he spends his leisure time jetting round the world even  between races attending WWE  and fashion shows because he can

twit of the year.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2019, 9:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from codcheeky
Now we have plastic bottles we just dump, we used to buy beer, lemonade and other soft drinks in the same way, now it is next to impossible to do so, and certainly the deposit scheme has long vanished (the bi-product of all this cheap sugar in plastic bottles is a diabetes epidemic)
Cars were a luxury, now it’s not uncommon for a single household to have three or four, tv’s and other electrical appliances are made to be on standby for ease of use, some cafes don’t have crockery even if your sitting in, food is covered in 2 or 3 layers of plastic, in short everything is easier, more affordable and disposable and getting people to accept this cannot go on is going to be very difficult, everyone can come up with a reason why they are special and desperately need something their grandmother never dreamed would exist, even if it is just to make the strange argument of them in China or India are nearly as bad.
Will we do enough, I doubt it, we have been told about this problem for the last 30 years, in that time we have not reduced emissions globally once, in fact we have increased them every year. The oil industry lobby is massive and like tobacco companies did they will drag this out as long as possible, but this is much more dangerous.
Without the government not only of this country but others as well making new laws we have no chance, as arryarryarry points out it is just too easy to be a hypocrite

I think you're right, people will only give up stuff when given a strong incentive plus lots of other 'nudges' and outright bans. But I don't think people are hypocrites so much - it's just a case of 'well why should I give up X if other people don't'. We really do have to be in it together. And that can only happen with more government intervention not less.

I think most people are quite amenable to the idea of making 'sacrifices' if they're implemented in the right way. For one it's got to be led by government and legislation. Yes there is still a significant number of people who will be swayed by arguments made by the types of party backed by big business interests (they usually use the 'it's an inhibition of freedom of choice' argument' - quite frankly I couldn't give a stuff about missing out on the freedom to choose flights to, say, Dubai where I'd sit in air conditioned rooms all the time and travel in air conditioned cars, to do what?).

Reinstating those old recycling schemes you mentioned would be a good idea for one - if they're not economically self-sustaining they've got to be 'subsidised' or at least things balanced in their favour (like a plastic tax).

Modern 'milk floats' might not be such a bad starting point for all manner of deliveries - it needs someone to organise it: the state! With the growth of 'last mile' deliveries with increased online shopping, the logical thing would be to end competition (which leads to overstretched drivers who are competing at barrel-scraping prices slinging parcels over the fence/not waiting for you to answer the door to sign for something/not even bothering if you're up a country lane). I think the government even used to have a delivery service that went everywhere in the country - not sure what happened to it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Extinction Rebellion and Global Warming

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.