2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Timsky
October 2, 2019, 11:39am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Well no mid week we are coming up with things to talk about!!

I was just thinking about last season the first full season under our leader MJ and his assistant AL and what has been addressed in order for progression to be made this season , ,

Certainly attacking wise we are more of a force, with plenty of options and variation available, which is fantastic and something we certainly lacked last season , , ,

I was also thinking about the temperament of the players , , , if I remember correctly it was the first 5 games that we had 3 red cards , , , Rose, Dixon and Thomas , , , interesting all three are no longer with us , , , but has something changed in the set up or the way the players attack each game that has changed??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
October 2, 2019, 12:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Progression is an interesting topic... depends whether you measure it by league positions or something more encompassing.

Clifton, Wright and Rose are all in and around the first team more regularly (when fit and available), so that's good to see. Obviously we're scoring more. Style of football seems to be a bit more direct but I think most of us will accept that while it's giving us generally positive results.

Discipline has improved. Togetherness seems strong. Signings this summer were better than last. All in all, I think progress has been steady. We've more points than this point last season, higher in the league, second top scorers in the division.

Keep up this rate of progression and you never know, we might sneak into the play-offs — or be a real contender next season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2019, 12:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Fair assessment Rich. Quarter of the way through the season nearly, so reasonable to make a tentative judgement that things are going OK. (Don't wanna jinx it).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Rik e B
October 3, 2019, 12:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
We on a nice upward trajectory improving in many areas, slow and steady wins the race - although sudden   rapid upturns always welcome!

Great to see the youth getting their chance, how many have fallen by the wayside over the years as not been nurtered or chanced on? I'm pretty sure Clifton was about to leave under Slade, thank God Jolley came in when he did.

And the small matter of saving us from the abyss also to go with that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Garth
October 3, 2019, 6:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Progression, let's see:-

Would we want to swap MJ for Slade. No

Would we want to swap MJ for Hurst. No

I suppose that's progression from where we were
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
Son of Cod
October 3, 2019, 11:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Took us until late November to get our first point from a losing position last season (Northampton away I think it was?). I've stopped counting how many we've fought back to win this season. This team is made of sterner stuff throughout. The streaky erratic form seems to be becoming less of a problem now too. Oh and one surefire sign of progression...A POSITIVE GOAL DIFFERENCE COLUMN.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
AussieMariner
October 4, 2019, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
3 forward players in D3D4 team of the week with Hanson on the bench smacks of progress
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
October 4, 2019, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I think whats interesting is that despite our good position you can look at most players and say that theres more to come from them, you can just imagine that if we get the right way of playing and the right players get into their stride, we could go on a really good run, like we haven't found that yet but the quality and team spirit has still yielded good results while things start to gel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Kris2
October 4, 2019, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Looking at the players we bought in versus the ones who left the club you can see a rise in quality. Even the players who are coming into the team after being sideline players or in the youth team feel like they have a lot going for them. How many of those players who went out have gone on to better things? I think that tells the story of progression.

It's always been about building on last season and getting the right players in that will help the nucleus progress further and cutting away the excess.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
October 4, 2019, 8:26pm
Guest User
Was it this time last season we still had Hoops?
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Progression

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.