Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › They'll try anything!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 225 Guests

They'll try anything!

This thread currently has 3,741 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
pizzzza
October 1, 2019, 6:10pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I remember the time when conference sides were in this competition and that Morecambe won but I didn't know it was on penalties  

I think Tony Crane's pen is still in orbit.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Abdul19
October 1, 2019, 10:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
The year before the infamous Crane pen we also lost in that competition to Conference Carlisle (Colin Cramb scored, I think)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
topuphere666
October 2, 2019, 6:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Lincoln seem to forget about the boycott 3500 there last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Abdul19
October 2, 2019, 7:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
It's hard to resist the lure of watching both the teams you 'support'

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
barralad
October 2, 2019, 7:58am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Heisenberg

I really, really hope the clubs speak out about the format of this competition when they meet at their annual EFL shindig, it's beyond a joke now.  It was a competition that we all quite liked in it's old format, and of course getting to 2 finals over the years increases that fondness, but Town fans literally have ZERO interest in this right now because of the ridiculous U-21 thing, and it's such a shame.

How would we go about getting Fenty to tell us exactly what the club's stance on it will be in the coming summer, and would he actually inform us if we asked?  Will it even be on the agenda of the meeting?  It's probably a topic they're hoping goes away with time, but we can't let that happen.

It's mad that we've drawn Scunny at home and Sunderland away, yet we can't (and shouldn't) attend!  It's a crying shame that we've been deprived of those two proper fixtures.  If the U-21's were kicked out, we'd probably take 1,000 or so, maybe even much more, to the Stadium of Light, but alas......

I don't think the issue came up at the meeting this last time.  My memory might be playing tricks but I think the vote in 2018 was to continue in the present format for two years. As you will be aware Town were one of seven clubs to vote against. The Trust will have the same discussion with the club as they did prior to the 2018 meeting (the same discussion we'd had since the inception of this format)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
psgmariner
October 2, 2019, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
France have scrapped their league cup. Can see it happening here soon. No need for 3 cup competitions.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
jamesgtfc
October 2, 2019, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
I think the regionalised groups is a great idea and guarantees each team 3 games. We should be selling out a home fixture versus Scunthorpe.

Replace the U21 teams with invited Conference teams and support for the competition will increase. Keep the competition regionalised until the final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
RichMariner
October 2, 2019, 12:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I think our first game in the competition when we won it in 98 was at Chesterfield. Think the attendance was below 1,000.

It's already been pointed out by others but this competition has never been popular in the early rounds, with or without 'invited' B teams.

Having won the trophy, we all have a certain fondness for it, but I really wouldn't care if it got ditched altogether. Trouble is, that's the last thing the EFL will want to do as it'll deny the PL teams a chance to give their kids a game, and they wouldn't want to upset the rich.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
MarinerDevil
October 2, 2019, 1:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
I'd rather keep the Trophy in a revised format than the League Cup.  It's great that we can draw Prem teams every once in a while, but isn't the FA Cup for that?  At least the trophy gives lower league teams a good chance of getting to Wembley.  I think regionalised groups with non-league is a good idea, perhaps play the group games in pre-season or take two weeks out of the league calendar to play the group stage?  Might put more emphasis on the competition than having midweek matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › They'll try anything!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.