3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
September 30, 2019, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
So do with we go with the same side on Saturday or hanson and green come back in?

Tough call but its hard to change a winning side but also hanson is our 1st choice striker and Green I suppose wasnt bought into go on the bench.

Thought's?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
September 30, 2019, 11:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,007
Gold Stars: 216
I think Jolley will pick the team that he thinks will be most effective against the opposition. Pace was selected on Saturday as he foresaw that we would be under pressure and that counter attack was probably the way to go.

But at home to a side that are well below us, it is possible they may park the bus, and so a different strategy is required, one that may well involve Hanson and Green.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
RonMariner
September 30, 2019, 11:46am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,007
Gold Stars: 216
Tell you what though. It’s s good problem to have!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Sigone
September 30, 2019, 11:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
Well if we don't know theirs a fair chance Mansfield haven't got a clue..Kudos for us me thinks..Green will want to play against one of his former clubs (not that he has anything to prove to them)..I think I could have 3 guesses at our starting front 3 and possibly not get it right..happy days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Abdul19
September 30, 2019, 1:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Think Hanson will come in for Rose, but Wright and Ogbu will start.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
monkeyboy
September 30, 2019, 6:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Im not worried about up front, think we have some good players there now they get a bit of service.
For me Robson must start over Whitehouse, i do like the look of Whitehouse but think he needs a break and possibly overplayed since his injury and we are not seeing the best of him.
Cook, robson and Hess will do nicely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Skrill
September 30, 2019, 6:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
What about Vernam?

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2019, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Skrill
What about Vernam?

Afraid he's one of those enigmas, we've all seen there's a good player in there somewhere but never really shown the promise he appeared to have during his loan period since signing permanently for us...
Although MJ speaks highly of him he's obviously down the pecking order when it comes to the starting 11...plus he drifts in and out of games and certainly doesn't have the work rate of Cook and others..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Meza
October 1, 2019, 5:54pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,633
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Afraid he's one of those enigmas, we've all seen there's a good player in there somewhere but never really shown the promise he appeared to have during his loan period since signing permanently for us...
Although MJ speaks highly of him he's obviously down the pecking order when it comes to the starting 11...plus he drifts in and out of games and certainly doesn't have the work rate of Cook and others..

NBM didn't he have problems pre season with shin splints.  Maybe he is still suffering with it and either can't train much.  I've had shin splints it's a horrible thing to have.  Only rest cures it.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
AussieMariner
October 1, 2019, 9:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Meza

NBM didn't he have problems pre season with shin splints.  Maybe he is still suffering with it and either can't train much.  I've had shin splints it's a horrible thing to have.  Only rest cures it.

Pretty sure that was last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Bigdog
October 2, 2019, 9:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Vernam is a very good player who missed most of pre-season with an inury, and due to us having a decent start, is down the pecking order for now. He wont let us down if he gets a start in this team once he has some game time under his belt..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Jarmo.Is.God
October 2, 2019, 10:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86

It would be criminal to rule out Vernam IMO.
Very very good player, but hasn't had a run in the team

He minutes for each league game, starting from most recent are

73 minutes out of 990...

He is 22, and should definitely be getting more of a chance IMO

But, whilst we are doing well, and sit 7th, it's hard to see when that will happen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 2, 2019, 10:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
People have been very patient with Vernam for over a year now. He was injured at Derby, he has had a number of injuries here and has struggled to get match fit. That much we can sympathise with. But when he gets on the field he starts like wildfire and then burns out very quickly. Even when he has had a few games or parts of games on the bounce he has not been consistent.

Definitely a good player. I thought when he came he was ideal for the role Cook is now playing but he is just not capable of the stamina needed to do the fetch and carry bit and as a provider out wide would we really leave out Max Wright to play Vernam?

I do hope I'm wrong in this because he does have talent.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
toontown
October 2, 2019, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
I have read a number of times people think he will be an important player for us this season. I would say I think he will be a peripheral figure I'm afraid. That's not to say he might not get some important goals or assists on occasional appearances as he has ability. I just can't see him nailing down a place as he doesn't have consistency to perform well across a number of games or across 90 mins if started to be honest.

I thought he played well when he came on at oldham but we were on the front foot by then. I do remember him getting a rollicking from Hanson for not closing down as well.

If we are to challenge at the top end we need better than him in the first 11, or he needs to improve consistency, in my opinion. Good squad player tho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Jarmo.Is.God
February 12, 2020, 10:22am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

It would be criminal to rule out Vernam IMO.
Very very good player, but hasn't had a run in the team

He minutes for each league game, starting from most recent are

73 minutes out of 990...

He is 22, and should definitely be getting more of a chance IMO

But, whilst we are doing well, and sit 7th, it's hard to see when that will happen

Told you so, the guy has stood out from the moment he joined on loan, and maybe due to poor management, he never got to consistently show us, and now he has...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Mallyner
February 12, 2020, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Told you so, the guy has stood out from the moment he joined on loan, and maybe due to poor management, he never got to consistently show us, and now he has...

And apart from his injury, you were spot on.

Perhaps people didn't take much notice of somebody, who claims 'Jarmo is God?'  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Jarmo.Is.God
February 12, 2020, 10:31am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

And apart from his injury, you were spot on.

Perhaps people didn't take much notice of somebody, who claims 'Jarmo is God?'  

I was a young boy at the time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Les Brechin
February 12, 2020, 10:57am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Bigdog
Vernam is a very good player who missed most of pre-season with an inury, and due to us having a decent start, is down the pecking order for now. He wont let us down if he gets a start in this team once he has some game time under his belt..

Good call Bigdog.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Gaffer58
February 12, 2020, 2:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Not to decry anything Ollie is doing as he is a complete breath of fresh air, but he probably has a bit more of an advantage over previous managers as not only has he put his own money into the club,which I assume some was used to bring in some of January’s players, but he no matter what happens this season was never going to be sacked, so he can experiment a bit, like last night, to see which players he wants to keep for next season, how versatile they are etc. Whereas previous managers are always looking over their shoulders awaiting the dreaded vote of confidence from the chairman( or non chairman) if results are poor.
  Who knows though, probably because Ollie can experiment or he is just a bloody good manager the players do not get complacent as nobodies starting place is guaranteed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
TownSNAFU5
February 12, 2020, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Yes good calls Jarmo.Is.God and Bigdog.   Going against the tide of opinion.

There are plenty of talented players that don’t make it.  Really good that Ollie has got the very best out of Vernam.  Especially as he had stamina issues and had a history of playing an average of only about 20 mins a game - when he did get a game.

You can’t keep a good player down.  All this from playing for Chorley recently.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 12, 2020, 8:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,984
Gold Stars: 283
Quoted from jonnyboy82
So do with we go with the same side on Saturday or hanson and green come back in?

Tough call but its hard to change a winning side but also hanson is our 1st choice striker and Green I suppose wasnt bought into go on the bench.

Thought's?

My thought is that thoughts is plural and therefore does not have an apostrophe.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 12, 2020, 9:35pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +787
Gold Stars: 113
One of the best things Ollie has done is given some of the new boys contracts only until the end of the season. No worries about if they fail to fit in or fail to perform. It's up to those players to do something special to prove to Ollie that they deserve a place in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
KingstonMariner
February 12, 2020, 11:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

My thought is that thoughts is plural and therefore does not have an apostrophe.

But Bobby Cummings Tackle [sic] should have one.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
diehardmariner
February 13, 2020, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,065
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes good calls Jarmo.Is.God and Bigdog.   Going against the tide of opinion.

There are plenty of talented players that don’t make it.  Really good that Ollie has got the very best out of Vernam.  Especially as he had stamina issues and had a history of playing an average of only about 20 mins a game - when he did get a game.

You can’t keep a good player down.  All this from playing for Chorley recently.  

Whereas now he looks one of, if not the, fittest players on the pitch.  Still full of running and going past people like they're not there very late on in games.  Don't want to hark back to previous regimes but something must be different in the training set-up since Jolley left.  That transformation doesn't happen by fluke.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
toontown
February 13, 2020, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner

Whereas now he looks one of, if not the, fittest players on the pitch.  Still full of running and going past people like they're not there very late on in games.  Don't want to hark back to previous regimes but something must be different in the training set-up since Jolley left.  That transformation doesn't happen by fluke.

More left in the tank as fewer tracking back and marking duties when town have the ball?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
diehardmariner
February 13, 2020, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,065
Gold Stars: 518
Yet that was one of his biggest criticism's under Jolley.  I think it's fair to say that Jolley didn't trust him when it came to defensive duties.  In fairness to Jolley it was often a fair point as Vernam had left his full-back exposed on a few occasions, often costing us goals.   Now he looks after his full-back a lot more, does far more of the dirty work and is more than willing to get stuck in.

Could be a combination of staying fit, confidence, feeling loved, better training....whatever it is, it's working and long may it continue.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
FishOutOfWater
February 13, 2020, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from diehardmariner

Missing a lot of the pre-season probably meant he was lagging behind a lot of the squad in terms of match fitness

Going to Chorley and getting regular game time maybe he's just now getting to grips with any past stamina ( and other injury ) issues

Whatever happened prior to him going out to Chorley and what he's now delivering can't really be compared - I'm just glad he's back and has found his mojo!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 29
Northbank Mariner
February 17, 2020, 2:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
After hearing Hessenthailer on Humberside last Saturday and knowing he's not far off a return, where does he fit in into this new found style of football we are playing?.
One of, if not the, most consistent players until his horror challenge yet since his omission we've gone on a 5 game invested run..
Dilemma to me is the only player I could him getting in front of is Whitehouse, who's been an absolute revelation since Holloway has gotten beady hands on him...
Glad I'm paid to inspect pressure systems rather than pick a football team..nice problems for Ollie tho I suppose..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
February 17, 2020, 6:36pm
Guest User
After hearing Hessenthailer on Humberside last Saturday and knowing he's not far off a return, where does he fit in into this new found style of football we are playing?.
One of, if not the, most consistent players until his horror challenge yet since his omission we've gone on a 5 game invested run..
Dilemma to me is the only player I could him getting in front of is Whitehouse, who's been an absolute revelation since Holloway has gotten beady hands on him...
Glad I'm paid to inspect pressure systems rather than pick a football team..nice problems for Ollie tho I suppose..

Think you've expressed it all very well.

Not so much a dilemma, more a nice problem for the manager.

Ollie's dealt with this situation, maybe 50+ times in his career?

I'm stressing less than you, Northbank.
Reply: 28 - 29
acko338
February 17, 2020, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
All good for a high level of competition for places !

Players fighting to get back into contention provides a great strength bench for Ollie to utilise ! !

They will all need to keep.impressing, or there's no ice cream !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dilemma

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.