This thread currently has 3,696 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
September 26, 2019, 10:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
at least we scored the best goal and our Fans Took Stamford Bridge for ninty minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/marinersfootball/videos/523640271704322/

ENJOY!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
marinerdazza
September 26, 2019, 10:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Feels a bit like Big Keith at Plough Lane. Scoring and thinking we could do this for about ten minutes. I suspect we'll be re-running clips of Green's goal for the next 30 years too.

Bit deflated today. Promised myself I wouldn't, but can't help it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
GrimRob
September 26, 2019, 10:44am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
We scored the best goal when we lost 7-1 at Sheff Wed too. A consolation prize  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 14
LH
September 26, 2019, 11:35am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
A long, frustrating day for me yesterday but that goal was one of the best moments of the past ten years. Made us all dream for all of ten minutes. What might have been had we gone in at half time at 2-1, eh?
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Mrs Doyle
September 26, 2019, 12:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Agree that penalty really hurt just before half time still think we would have lost but maybe not so heavy. They gave their young kids a go after the break knowing they were safe and gave them licence to enjoy themselves which they did.

Looking back maybe if we had played a more defence minded game like we were forced to at the Palace match due to early sending off we may have been able to keep our shape and mark there players better.

Jolley got it right on that occasion but perhaps let them have miles far to much space, time and possetion yesterday they had the quality players to really hurt you at this level.

Our lads looked knackered after chasing shadows for most of the game on a big lovely pitch looked like a snooker table from high up.

Automatic sprinklers that are hiddern underneath the pitch no expence spared it really is a cracking stadium worthy of any team.

Oh well that dream came crashing down but over all I enjoyed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
scrumble
September 26, 2019, 12:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Our lads looked knackered after chasing shadows for most of the game

As much as we moan about our lack for funds for buying players, I often wonder how we'd perform if our players had access to the same training facilities, training staff, dieticians etc. I'm not saying they'd turn into a team of Messi's and Ronaldo's, but I am curious as too how much difference that kind of stuff makes. How many times have we seen cup ties like this go all the way, only for the players from the small club run out of steam?

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2019, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
They pick the cream of the crop.  This includes the best athletes.  CHO has been out for a long time and still lasted 90 mins at age 18.  And scored late on.

You can have all the conditioning and support, but the raw product must be top-quality in the first place.  At the highest level anyway.

Ironically, talkSPORT this week reported this week that some managers have serious concerns that the Prem Under 23s are not developing properly.  There is no manager demanding 3 points, no pressure or intensity, no firm tackling and no-one kicking an opponent who is better or quicker than you.  All this does not prepare players for the first-team.

Anyway, the value of their squad must be astronomical.  Ours is minuscule by comparison. It still hurts getting thrashed though.  I feel for the Watford fans.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
mimma
September 26, 2019, 1:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
What I take from last night is the obscene amount of money there is around in London. The whole Chelsea village concept reeks of money that NE Lincs can only dream of. It's a fantastic place to play in. I always thought Stamford Bridge looks a bit dated and old fashioned, but after last night I found it to be a fantastic place to watch football (if you can afford to go there!).

A lot has been said about Colchester and Rochdale playing well against premier sides and couldn't match them. To me it's more about how Spurs and Man U. players  responded to playing lower sides than how they set up to play the big boys. Lampard prepared Chelsea as though they were playing any premier side and that was the real difference on the night. They were utterly brilliant and ruthless. Hats off to Lampard for the manner in which they approached the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Barrattstander
September 26, 2019, 1:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Automatic sprinklers that are hiddern underneath the pitch no expence spared it really is a cracking stadium worthy of any team.

Our subs got a good soaking whilst loosening up last week at Salford's Peninsula Stadium by their under pitch sprinklers. If your team playing style is based on a fast passing game then sprinklers seem to be a necessity to keep the surface slick.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
mimma
September 26, 2019, 2:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Sprinklers in Manchester FFS?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One moment of Glory

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.