Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › was anyone else here?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 415 Guests

was anyone else here?

This thread currently has 1,967 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
forza ivano
September 25, 2019, 5:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/25/grimsby-chelsea-carabao-cup

Anyone else going tonight who got drenched at the last meeting of these 2 great clubs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
September 26, 2019, 1:32am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
No. Missed out. Two of my housemates at uni at the time were Chelsea fans and they went. I declined on the basis of having an aversion to getting a shoeing. It was a good night in Herne Bay when they came back - full of praise for ‘your little coloured lad’ (Tony Ford)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 2
FishOutOfWater
September 26, 2019, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I was at all four of our games at their place in the early 80s

First up, Clive (Flasher) Walker ran us ragged in a 3-0 defeat October 80

The next season Tony Ford got our goal in a 1-1 draw November 81

The following season, October 82 we lost 5-2 ( Drinkell & Cummings   ) with David Speedie playing a blinder for them

Prematch we were top of the second tier and full of hope that we were in for a good season. Just avoided relegation on the last day actually. This was actually the day when we were all totally drenched!  Hissed it down on the open terrace behind the goal from where we were watching forlornly

The victory in the article was the following December but I remember it as being a crisp clear winter's day and not raining

It was the day that Harrods got bombed so most of central and west London was a no-go zone with most tube stations closed, so I was late getting in there ( as I was last night too actually) Absolutely fantastic turnaround

For a moment or two last night after Green's little belter we started singing " 3-2, we're gonna win 3-2 " but sadly a repeat of history was not to be  

Given the disparity between the two clubs now I doubt I'll ever see a win at the Bridge again but that one is probably one of my favourite ever games following Town

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › was anyone else here?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.