3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
mariner tommy
September 21, 2019, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
Blimey, talk about a game of two halves.
The first half was very even with few clear chances, maybe Green should have done better with his effort inside the six yard box, but not to be.
In the second half we stepped it up a bit, but the big difference happened when Wright came on. At times he was unplayable on the right and took a lot of stick from Macc, I think the goal from Robson is certainly the best I’ve seen at home this season.
Good atmosphere in the second half as well.
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
September 21, 2019, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Robson looks like he has a bit of class. Can he play on Wednesday?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
jimgtfc
September 21, 2019, 7:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
First half, well let’s just forget that ever happened. Game changed when we went 442 and started trying to get the ball wide. Max was fantastic and is a good old fashioned winger who wants to run at people. Robson grew with confidence after his well taken goal and him and Hess bosses the midfield. Gibson looked like a proper centre half and will more than do a job when required.

I like the way that despite not playing great, we ground the 3 points out so credit to all the lads for that.

Sounds stupid I know, but we deserve to be where we are in the table. We’re not consistent or good enough to break into that top 7 for me, but a huge improvement on last season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Abdul19
September 21, 2019, 7:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from arryarryarry
Robson looks like he has a bit of class. Can he play on Wednesday?

Yep (he played against Macc so I assume he's not cuptied!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
arryarryarry
September 21, 2019, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19

Yep (he played against Macc so I assume he's not cuptied!)

Just testing 😉
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 21, 2019, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Got to say Gibson stood out for me today, reads the game really well and always timed his tackles superbly plus never once got done by their right wing back...
Hoping MJ realises that we pose more of a threat and control the game better player 4-4-2 and it seems to suit the players better..
Felt for Max when his excrement hit the inside of the post, sat behind the goal and it seemed to go in slow motion
Good win, stops the winless rub in the bud, plus scunny lose again... Carlsberg Saturday for me today👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
September 21, 2019, 7:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Got to say Gibson stood out for me today, reads the game really well and always timed his tackles superbly plus never once got done by their right wing back...
Hoping MJ realises that we pose more of a threat and control the game better player 4-4-2 and it seems to suit the players better..
Felt for Max when his excrement hit the inside of the post, sat behind the goal and it seemed to go in slow motion
Good win, stops the winless rub in the bud, plus scunny lose again... Carlsberg Saturday for me today👍

What hit the post?!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
WesternMariner
September 21, 2019, 7:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +874
Gold Stars: 34

I feel for the lad as well........

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
quebec38
September 21, 2019, 7:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Ok performance but most importantly capitalised and took all 3 points off a team that turned up and didn’t really go a great deal.
Glad Gibson got MOTM as he looked steady at centre half and I don’t think it’s his natural position. I must admit I was scratching my head at that selection before kick off.
Hats off to Wright as well in the second half of course. They only had one answer for him and that was to take him out. For me he’s already a better option than Rose but MJ seems to think otherwise which is a strange one for me. Thought Rose did ok in the first half though, especially for his first game back. Not sure why he was replaced so hopefully nothing serious and just a tactical decision.
We will play a lot better than today and lose, so a good 3 points which is what it’s all about.
It would be tough to keep it up across the course of the season but we’re on for 69 points as things stand which would put us in a healthy position come the end of the season so every reason to be happy as a Mariner tonight, not to mention how the rest of the results went today ha ha.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 21, 2019, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker

What hit the post?!

Oh dear, appears I must have put sh!t instead of shot....😂😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
HertsGTFC
September 21, 2019, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Really poor 1st half and one that is very easy to forget other than another poor refereeing display.

In the 2nd half with the addition of Max Wright and the change in shape we looked half decent and it made for a better spectacle.

We have some decent starting players at this level and a bench with a bit of pace which was illustrated by the impact Wright made.

Thought Gibson deserved MOM and Robson took his goal really well and Green ran his socks off in a team performance that once again had application, effort and plenty of work rate. This groups desire and spirit certainly isn’t in doubt.

So the best Team won just a shame it wasn’t in front of more of the “followers” who’ll be going on Wednesday..... just saying!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
fishboyUTM
September 21, 2019, 10:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Gibson doesn't look athletic enough for me as a full back. Not slow by any means, but not quick over a few yards. I may be unfair as he probably is finding his fitness, but he was excellent at centre back where those attrubutes aren't as vital. How tall is he? Maybe centre back is his position?

I expect us to be in the market for a left back as Seb isn't working out I'm afraid. Maybe that man is Gibson. I was really impressed with Macclesfields left back today though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
supertown
September 21, 2019, 10:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53

What hit the post?!

Messy 💩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Mallyner
September 22, 2019, 8:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22

Did it also hit the fan?

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
RonMariner
September 22, 2019, 9:32am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216

Yes, and a pleasing wake up call for the Imps too  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
September 22, 2019, 10:47am
Guest User
Quoted from mariner tommy
Blimey, talk about a game of two halves.
The first half was very even with few clear chances, maybe Green should have done better with his effort inside the six yard box, but not to be.
In the second half we stepped it up a bit, but the big difference happened when Wright came on. At times he was unplayable on the right and took a lot of stick from Macc, I think the goal from Robson is certainly the best I’ve seen at home this season.
Good atmosphere in the second half as well.
UTM

I agree entirely seems we went to the same match. Ref was poor, what about the drop ball!
Inconsistent.
Reply: 15 - 22
FishOutOfWater
September 23, 2019, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Really poor 1st half and one that is very easy to forget other than another poor refereeing display.

In the 2nd half with the addition of Max Wright and the change in shape we looked half decent and it made for a better spectacle.

We have some decent starting players at this level and a bench with a bit of pace which was illustrated by the impact Wright made.

Thought Gibson deserved MOM and Robson took his goal really well and Green ran his socks off in a team performance that once again had application, effort and plenty of work rate. This groups desire and spirit certainly isn’t in doubt.

So the best Team won just a shame it wasn’t in front of more of the “followers” who’ll be going on Wednesday..... just saying!

I think you were saying what maybe MJ didn't when in his post match interview he said he had to be careful what he said ( or didn't as the case may be )

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 22
Ipswin
September 23, 2019, 6:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Was very surprised (and disappointed) to see that Town had one of the smallest attendances on Saturday

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Gaffer58
September 23, 2019, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
In defence 4 days earlier nearly 1k at Salford, 3 days earlier 800 at Oldham and 5k going to the smoke another 4 days after Saturday, quite a bit of expense over a 10 day period. North East Lincs in general is not a wealthy area, so I think this time Saturdays attendance can be forgiven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2019, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I think you were saying what maybe MJ didn't when in his post match interview he said he had to be careful what he said ( or didn't as the case may be )

I took it to be uppity about social media criticism of the early season optimism fading after the Salford result. I felt any minute he was going to say people like that Lew Chaterleys lover on the fishy...

I have absolutely no idea why managers take a blind bit of notice about what social media is saying. It is the same at every single club in the land. You get perfectionists optimists, pessimists, football purists, pragmatists, people who have spent a lifetime going and people who have never gone to BP in their lives, all vying to express their views, and quite rightly so.

I think he corrected himself by saying our fans are fantastic (including that idiot LCL) who would have to be dead to miss a home game, and the travelling army that follows us everywhere.

It would be a lot, lot worse if people didn't care enough to comment.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2019, 7:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
In defence 4 days earlier nearly 1k at Salford, 3 days earlier 800 at Oldham and 5k going to the smoke another 4 days after Saturday, quite a bit of expense over a 10 day period. North East Lincs in general is not a wealthy area, so I think this time Saturdays attendance can be forgiven.

And of course next to no away fans.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 23, 2019, 7:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
And the massive away following of 69 hardly helped the stats swin...you and I know that generally GTFC has a good following and decent league crowds but as gaffer points out there are several mitigating circumstances as to why Saturday was a little down on usual ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
moosey_club
September 23, 2019, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
And the massive away following of 69 hardly helped the stats swin...you and I know that generally GTFC has a good following and decent league crowds but as gaffer points out there are several mitigating circumstances as to why Saturday was a little down on usual ..

well..... Nick Dale had probably been in touch with their SLO to warn them not to come or risk being strung up from lamposts on Grimsby Rd by our hooligan element.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.