5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
September 20, 2019, 10:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,817
Gold Stars: 89
Remember them? 71 EFL chairmen will vote next week on whether they should be reinstated next season. I just wondered, what’s your gut feeling about this? Will the football family show sympathy or go for the throat?

Even if they’re reinstated, they still haven’t been purchased/rescued - can you imagine if they were reinstated and STILL went bust?! The EFL would look ridiculous then.

It will be fascinating. I wonder how Town will vote?
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
September 20, 2019, 10:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Other teams have been kicked out of the league for the same problems so I see no reason to let them back in let them win promotion to get back .

Unless if they get voted in it means the Scunts go down.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2019, 11:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
No question. Let em go. Won't do any good reinstating them, and possibly do more harm in the long run. If the likes of Rotherham, Leicester and Pompey had been disciplined properly (like Luton were) then a lot of the present troubles could have been nipped in the bud. And when you think what we've been through complying with the rules, re-instatement would be unfair.

As for the Bury fans, well they'll have a chance to re-found a club which they'll have control of and be able to avoid this happening again. If they stick by it in anything like present numbers they should soon progress through the pyramid. Maybe FC United can return the favour and let them share their ground. Or there's Oldham who could do with a few quid. Plenty of options around Manchester.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
Rob_in_Grimsby
September 20, 2019, 11:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
I can see the championship and L1 all voting for them to stay in as it does not effect them directly and if it happens to them in the future they can use this as a way out.
L2 clubs will vote them out as it would mean two go down this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
IlkleyMariner
September 20, 2019, 11:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,873
Gold Stars: 66
Let them go

Other clubs who should have been let go and this situation would not have happened include

Leeds
Hull
Rotherham
Portsmouth
West Ham for cheating
Chelsea for hoovering up players and letting them out on loan
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
Abdul19
September 21, 2019, 8:27am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Hi Mr Warnock!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
TownSNAFU5
September 21, 2019, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
As it has already been flagged up over the last few weeks, I suspect that the EFL will vote to re-admit Bury into Div 2.  A short-sighted and wrong decision in my opinion. They are victims of their own downfall.

I think that clubs may well vote to keep them in the league for selfish reasons.  It could be their own club in a similar position in the future..

Older fans will remember the annual vote to retain the bottom 4 clubs in the old Div 4 who had to apply for re-election.It was rare for a club to be voted into NL.  (Including Grimsby who survived a vote). Turkeys don't vote for xmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Poojah
September 21, 2019, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
It’s a real tricky one this. In an ideal world, it would be the crooks who have destroyed the club who would be punished, not the fans.

Sadly, it’s the the opposite that seems to be true.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
Abdul19
September 21, 2019, 11:31am

Season Ticket Holder
Has there ever been a case of a club taking a season off before? A complete farce, AFC Bury should be kicking off in Step 4 next season.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 21, 2019, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
there seems to be a lot of disparity when it comes to issues regarding financial affairs and regulations.

how can "bigger clubs" get points taken off (Leicester etc) after falling into financial distress, yet teams like (the proper) Wimbledon, Aldershot, darlington get stripped of their league status

football is losing faith in the people that care about it.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
HertsGTFC
September 21, 2019, 1:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
In reality letting them back into League 2 would not work unless they have real cash.

They’d effectively be a new club on and off the pitch and a new team made up of what would be journeymen and kids so coming in at that “professional” level would be a massive challenge to sustain.

Though I really feel for their loyal support they’d be better off from building further down the pyramid.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Abdul19
September 21, 2019, 1:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
The last team kicked out the FL was Maidstone and that was 27 years ago

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Heisenberg
September 21, 2019, 1:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
In reality letting them back into League 2 would not work unless they have real cash.

They’d effectively be a new club on and off the pitch and a new team made up of what would be journeymen and kids so coming in at that “professional” level would be a massive challenge to sustain.

Though I really feel for their loyal support they’d be better off from building further down the pyramid.

That’s a good point; who on earth would sign for them next season? Hardly without financial risk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
KingstonMariner
September 21, 2019, 2:07pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
there seems to be a lot of disparity when it comes to issues regarding financial affairs and regulations.

how can "bigger clubs" get points taken off (Leicester etc) after falling into financial distress, yet teams like (the proper) Wimbledon, Aldershot, darlington get stripped of their league status

football is losing faith in the people that care about it.

The (alleged) difference is that the clubs kicked out of the FL couldn't demonstrate they could meet their obligations for the season when they had an act of insolvency. Bolton, Leicester, Portsmouth etc apparently could when they had their rescue deals. I'm sceptical about the robustness of the process personally, but that's the official rationale.

Wimbledon was a different case. Their league position was taken over by another 'franchise' in effect. They weren't in admin. AFC Wimbledon was a new club, founded when 'Wimbledon FC' were still in existence, so they started from lower down the pyramid, as did the new Aldershot and Maidstone (and Darlo).

Darlo were already outside the FL when they went bust. The Conference has always been stricter than the FL.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
moosey_club
September 21, 2019, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
I can see the championship and L1 all voting for them to stay in as it does not effect them directly and if it happens to them in the future they can use this as a way out.
L2 clubs will vote them out as it would mean two go down this season.

well considered and i would think that would be the case.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Marinerz93
September 21, 2019, 5:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
No one wants to see a club go bust, but they have and should be reinstated next season.

However, I think it is time to implement a 3 up 3 down between the national league and league 2.

Edit as I miss typed
No one wants to see a club go bust, but they have and should not be reinstated next season.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
fishboyUTM
September 21, 2019, 10:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
I feel for them. Anything that can be done for them should be. As long as that cretin Dale has gone, signed and sealed and the club can demonstrate they are financially viable then I would re-admit them into league 2 next season.

Understand what people are saying though. Andy Holt, the Accrington owner makes a lot of sense and has been calling for massive reform for a long time. The Football League needs to do more to make sure this doesn't happen again, I can only imagine how Bury fans feel at the moment and for that reason, I would re-admit them into the Football League. Maybe expel MK Dons as well while they are at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
supertown
September 21, 2019, 10:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Their demise will save scunny unfortunately
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
mariner83
September 22, 2019, 9:33am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from supertown

My understanding of it is that it would be just the 3 down from L1 this season, and all other relegation/promotion spots would remain the same.  So effectively Bury if reinstated are one of the 4 teams that are relegated from L1 this season.

If they're reinstated, what example does it set for other clubs...
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Gaffer58
September 22, 2019, 11:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
Terrible thing to say but if it was MK Dons instead of Bury if it meant scunny going down then I'm all for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
Heisenberg
September 22, 2019, 12:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from supertown

Do people really expect Scunny to struggle all season? Surely not? Personally I can’t see them going down at all, despite their awful start. Let’s hope I’m wrong, though!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
Ipswin
September 22, 2019, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Quoted from Heisenberg

Do people really expect Scunny to struggle all season? Surely not? Personally I can’t see them going down at all, despite their awful start. Let’s hope I’m wrong, though!!

They'll finish mid table the same as us

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
MarinerRob
September 22, 2019, 3:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text
Do people really expect Scunny to struggle all season? Surely not?

I thought the same about Nott County last season. I still can't believe that they could not do enough to stay up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
jock dock tower
September 22, 2019, 4:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The Football League regulations say that clubs can gain access to the Football League through the National League. I don't agree with them going into the National League straight away either as that isn't what happened to the likes of Stockport, and to Chester City, who were made to drop down to the NPL fater they went belly up in the Conference. You have to have consistency on such matters, anything else is wide open to abuse, just as the re-election process used to be when teams from the old 4th Division had to apply for league membership if they finished in the bottom four.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
wiggers
September 23, 2019, 8:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
What example does it set if they are reinstated to the league? They should be made to reform and start from the bottom simple as that. Hopefully it will make clubs and their owners think twice about cheating their way out of a division. It’s about time football started to live within its means. If they are simply let back in nothing will change, in fact I think it will make things worse for football in the long run. As hard and unfortunate as it is for Bury fans it’s the only way I’m afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
marinerdazza
September 23, 2019, 10:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Heisenberg

A couple more defeats and their chairman won't be able to help himself. Changing a manager constantly has to be one of the key factors in relegation. Chesterfield/Notts County.

Scunny are at home to Bradford and away at Plymouth next. I don't see them getting anything from either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
Heisenberg
September 23, 2019, 11:07am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza

A couple more defeats and their chairman won't be able to help himself. Changing a manager constantly has to be one of the key factors in relegation. Chesterfield/Notts County.

Scunny are at home to Bradford and away at Plymouth next. I don't see them getting anything from either.

Ooh, they ARE tough games!  I agree with you too, that Chairman will get nervous if things don't improve soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
Paris Mariner
September 23, 2019, 11:14am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from jock dock tower
The Football League regulations say that clubs can gain access to the Football League through the National League. I don't agree with them going into the National League straight away either as that isn't what happened to the likes of Stockport, and to Chester City, who were made to drop down to the NPL fater they went belly up in the Conference. You have to have consistency on such matters, anything else is wide open to abuse, just as the re-election process used to be when teams from the old 4th Division had to apply for league membership if they finished in the bottom four.

Stockport were in the National League. We beat them 7-2 at home in 11/12. Chester and Boston were forced to drop. Bury should not be readmitted.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 47
Heisenberg
September 23, 2019, 12:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Stockport were in the National League. We beat them 7-2 at home in 11/12. Chester and Boston were forced to drop. Bury should not be readmitted.

I agree, a stance needs to be taken.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2019, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
For future sustainability the best thing would be to wind up Bury FC and start again, whether that be at Counties or Northern Premier.

If they retained 25% of their support, they would be among the best supported down there by some distance so they would soon rise without any inherited debts which has ultimately been their downfall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
sydney
September 23, 2019, 1:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
I think there is an EFL meet and possible vote on this this week?
I think that the local Bury MP is asking for support from other MP,s
Be Interesting
My view is they should follow the same route as all other teams that have gone bust in recent years
i.e. reform and come back in at a lower level
Come on Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
Meza
September 23, 2019, 5:58pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
I certainly don't like gulf between divisions for the EFL handouts.  80% championship, 12% Lg1 and 8% Lg2, surely that's not right.  It was something I read on the BBC football website, or maybe that thread about wages etc.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Irv93
September 24, 2019, 6:23pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +14
Statement by Bury FC.... 'Request to our former fellow clubs'

Thoughts?

"We would ask before you send in your votes, for our reinstatement to our former position in the EFL this Thursday, to consider your own circumstances, and then give a thought to what has happened to Bury FC. Bury Football Club is a Victim, not a Villain, so why was it treated so unjustly.

How can 125 years of our historic Club be wiped out by the actions of a former Custodian, Bury the Club, did nothing wrong so culpability/prosecution should be aimed at the Culprit - not the Victim?

It has been frustrating as a Club not to be able to go Public with the causes of our problems. A lot of unjust vitriol has been received, but pending Criminal and Legal actions have not allowed us to do this, as it could prejudice the various cases, however as these unfold Clubs/Fans and the Public will be shocked at the injustice Bury has suffered and blame can be laid firmly at the feet of those responsible without lies and spin.

We have heard rumours that we gained our promotion unfairly, one wonders how our Club, fighting for its life for the last 11 months, c£17m in debt, the threat of losing our Stadium, enough stat demands, winding up orders and CCJ's to paper our offices in, bailiffs every other day, having to choose between paying threats that could close us or wages was an advantage?

We would not wish on anyone what we have been through and steps need to be taken to ensure that this can never happen to any of our Fellow Clubs again, it is unjust and wrong.

Even through all our difficulties, we never took action against our fellow clubs for monies owed to us, and believe us when we say we needed it, but fellow clubs in our position need help and solidarity from fellow Clubs, not writs.

There is a lot to address in our great sport to prevent injustice, a fairer slice of the pie to the lower leagues will help that before the TV rights disappear and there is no pot to help them. A body set up with people on the board who have been through tough times and indeed insolvency and specialists for advice so Clubs can go to them without retribution or being made public and believe us when we say there are many Clubs in need of help.

Of course, we need our SuperClubs, it gives us all hope in our aspirations, but seeds need watering, oak trees are more resilient.

If our Fellow Clubs are in doubt, give us time to allow us to put the facts forward as they unfold. Believe us when we say it would leave little doubt to reinstatement. If we could have our academy status back whilst this unravels, we can continue to help the youth as it is unfair that they have been hurt by these unjust events."

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Heisenberg
September 24, 2019, 6:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Irv93

Thoughts?

"We would ask before you send in your votes, for our reinstatement to our former position in the EFL this Thursday, to consider your own circumstances, and then give a thought to what has happened to Bury FC. Bury Football Club is a Victim, not a Villain, so why was it treated so unjustly.

How can 125 years of our historic Club be wiped out by the actions of a former Custodian, Bury the Club, did nothing wrong so culpability/prosecution should be aimed at the Culprit - not the Victim?

It has been frustrating as a Club not to be able to go Public with the causes of our problems. A lot of unjust vitriol has been received, but pending Criminal and Legal actions have not allowed us to do this, as it could prejudice the various cases, however as these unfold Clubs/Fans and the Public will be shocked at the injustice Bury has suffered and blame can be laid firmly at the feet of those responsible without lies and spin.

We have heard rumours that we gained our promotion unfairly, one wonders how our Club, fighting for its life for the last 11 months, c£17m in debt, the threat of losing our Stadium, enough stat demands, winding up orders and CCJ's to paper our offices in, bailiffs every other day, having to choose between paying threats that could close us or wages was an advantage?

We would not wish on anyone what we have been through and steps need to be taken to ensure that this can never happen to any of our Fellow Clubs again, it is unjust and wrong.

Even through all our difficulties, we never took action against our fellow clubs for monies owed to us, and believe us when we say we needed it, but fellow clubs in our position need help and solidarity from fellow Clubs, not writs.

There is a lot to address in our great sport to prevent injustice, a fairer slice of the pie to the lower leagues will help that before the TV rights disappear and there is no pot to help them. A body set up with people on the board who have been through tough times and indeed insolvency and specialists for advice so Clubs can go to them without retribution or being made public and believe us when we say there are many Clubs in need of help.

Of course, we need our SuperClubs, it gives us all hope in our aspirations, but seeds need watering, oak trees are more resilient.

If our Fellow Clubs are in doubt, give us time to allow us to put the facts forward as they unfold. Believe us when we say it would leave little doubt to reinstatement. If we could have our academy status back whilst this unravels, we can continue to help the youth as it is unfair that they have been hurt by these unjust events."

If they’re in £17m of debt, then how do they intend to pay this? The answer, of course, is they do not intend to - creditors will receive pennies in the pound.

That statement is just flim flam. All this self pity, all because they’ve never been in non league before. Well we have, for 6 awful years, and nobody missed us, just like nobody will miss Bury.

If their fans really love the club they’ll be back one day. The fact is, if the EFL did nothing back in August, Bury would now be in even more debt, living carefree and nothing would change.

Football needs Bury to pay so we all learn a lesson. Give their place in the league to a Conference club who can be trusted, as clearly Bury can’t be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Gaffer58
September 24, 2019, 7:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
It all seems a bit like the old method of clubs keeping their mates in the league, if they've broken the current rules then down they must go, its selection of the fittest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Northbank Mariner
September 24, 2019, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Irv93

Thoughts?

Feck 'em...masters of their own downfall...whining about being hard done to..well, as a club they have committed the worse crime of all and that's let their fans down...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
denni266
September 24, 2019, 8:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from Irv93

Thoughts?

BYE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
sydney
September 24, 2019, 9:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Spent 11m
Turnover approx 3.5m

Went into voluntary liquidation so no one gets paid
Not even St Johns Ambulance I guess

To let them back in would be a green light to any or all clubs to just do what they did

Has our cleethorpes MP leant his support to them been let in?

They must bear the consequences of their actions

Feel genuinely sorry for the fans but if they reformed and came back in at step 5 (like previous clubs who suffered the same fate) they at least would have a team to support
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
KingstonMariner
September 24, 2019, 9:11pm
Meths Drinker
To summarise:

"It wasn't me that did it mam. It was him honest. Sure I went along for the ride. OK I did take drugs as well, but I didnt pay for them. It was him."

I assume you are a Bury fan Irv93. If so, stop your flipping whining and get on with starting again. Other clubs have had to pay their debts (still are) and some, like us, have had to do our time in non-League.

Shame you couldn't take Bolton with you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Irv93
September 24, 2019, 9:23pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +14
Quoted from KingstonMariner
To summarise:

"It wasn't me that did it mam. It was him honest. Sure I went along for the ride. OK I did take drugs as well, but I didnt pay for them. It was him."

I assume you are a Bury fan Irv93. If so, stop your flipping whining and get on with starting again. Other clubs have had to pay their debts (still are) and some, like us, have had to do our time in non-League.

Shame you couldn't take Bolton with you.

Nope not a Bury fan at all Kingston, GTFC and only GTFC for me! I was just curious to know how you all felt regarding the clubs demise. Believe me when I tell you that the only people I feel sorry for at all are the fans of the club. I suppose it is now up to them fans to carry on and get behind whatever form the club takes in the future.

UTM.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
KingstonMariner
September 24, 2019, 9:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Irv93

Nope not a Bury fan at all Kingston, GTFC and only GTFC for me! I was just curious to know how you all felt regarding the clubs demise. Believe me when I tell you that the only people I feel sorry for at all are the fans of the club. I suppose it is now up to them fans to carry on and get behind whatever form the club takes in the future.

UTM.

Ah, it seemed like some sort of statement Bury fans were flooding message boards and social media with.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Grantham_Mariner
September 25, 2019, 10:00am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
17 million in debt does not happen overnight, They spent money they did not have for a very long period of time.

Phoenix restart for me, and if the fans get behind it they could get back in the League in a few years.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
Malta_Mariner_90
September 25, 2019, 10:11am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
For me as others have said you have to feel a degree of sympathy with the supporters. But it does not extend to letting them getting away with financially cheating their way to promotion by letting them back in L2 next season.

Their demise should signal a huge change in approach from the FL regards the sustainability of its members. Will it? Of course not.

Bury have to go, but at the same time if nothing alters and these sort of people are still allowed to invest in EFL clubs then what will the EFL have learned from the situation?

If I was a Bury fan, while I would be devastated I would be determined to become involved in setting up a proper community club which the local area could be truly proud of. It is an opportunity to take football back to its roots in the area and create something really special.

A few years in the lower reaches, winning promotions, scoring lots of goals, connecting with the local community could actually turn out to be a god send.

At the end of the day football clubs are their supporters. We walk away there is no club, it really is that simple. Lets hope they take up the challenge and get back up to where they belong sooner rather than later.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
Civvy at last
September 25, 2019, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
I say let them back into League 2 next season.. On the proviso that that they have paid every single creditor in full.

Lets see how serious they are about wanting to come back in the league.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
rancido
September 25, 2019, 2:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
I would have thought that gaining promotion with a wage bill you can't afford is tantamount to cheating your way to promotion.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
FishOutOfWater
September 26, 2019, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Correct decision in my opinion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49841324

Feel genuinely sorry for their fans, but I don't think they had a valid case to be re-admitted
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 47
sydney
September 26, 2019, 11:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
100.00% right decision
Well done EFL
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
RonMariner
September 26, 2019, 11:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
It's sad for the fans of Bury, who have my sympathies.

However, Bury are no more a special case then Hereford, Darlington, and various other clubs who have been badly managed by their owners.

EFL have acted with some consistency here. Bury will have to regroup, and re-establish themselves as a phoenix club free of their crippling debts. This may mean saying goodbye to Gigg Lane, but that's how it is.

The comments in the release about the activities of the various owners is interesting. We already know some of it. Sounds like the full story will contain even more shocking revelations.

This sport certainly seems to attract some pretty disreputable characters.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.