arryarryarry
September 18, 2019, 11:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Are you sitting with your thighs too close together Arry?

No, they just come with age
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2019, 12:21am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

No, they just come with age

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
coddy60
September 19, 2019, 6:46am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Second highest on the list, the Port Vale game, and we were excellent....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
wuffing
September 19, 2019, 8:41am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
Thread convergence: Long ball and big bellies...

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 19, 2019, 8:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A long pass is good as long as it does not give away possession. As any coach would say - the ball can run faster than any player. If you are going to do the “sit back and wait” game and then counter attack it is very likely that a fair few long passes will happen. To do it well you need a Dave Boylen.

The snag is that opponents soon suss it out. That is what used to happen with the Hurst master plan of using Monkhouse disguised as a flag on the halfway line to nod  the ball on into the corner. It happens with Engerland. That long diagonal ball to Sterling or Rashford out wide works for 5 minutes and maybe even a goal until the other side gets the message and then Southgate has to scratch his stubble for a Plan B. Much better to vary it with someone carrying the ball out at pace which is why I like to see Max Wright there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
sam gy
September 19, 2019, 9:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,386
Gold Stars: 53
Would be interesting to see how that correlates with possession percentages though. We had 66% possession on Tuesday, which must be the highest for us this season. Watching it, it certainly felt like Salford barely touched the ball.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Tommy
September 19, 2019, 10:07am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Very much depends on how these stats are counted.

There's a big difference between a long (say, 40 yards) pass to pick a player out or switch play, and a floated punt up from the CB that is either just put into "an area" or put in the rough vicinity of the big striker. The first one is a deliberate and accurate pass, the second is a bit of a hopeful punt that pretty much leaves it 50-50 who gets possession as it's just who wins the aerial challenge.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 19, 2019, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Tommy
Very much depends on how these stats are counted.

There's a big difference between a long (say, 40 yards) pass to pick a player out or switch play, and a floated punt up from the CB that is either just put into "an area" or put in the rough vicinity of the big striker. The first one is a deliberate and accurate pass, the second is a bit of a hopeful punt that pretty much leaves it 50-50 who gets possession as it's just who wins the aerial challenge.

Exactly Tommy. I would guess that most of the hopeful wellies in the direction of a target man come in games where we have lots of possession and very few ideas what to do with it. Tip-tap, tip-tap, tip-tap ...... thump.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2019, 2:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
A long pass is good as long as it does not give away possession. As any coach would say - the ball can run faster than any player. If you are going to do the “sit back and wait” game and then counter attack it is very likely that a fair few long passes will happen. To do it well you need a Dave Boylen.

The snag is that opponents soon suss it out. That is what used to happen with the Hurst master plan of using Monkhouse disguised as a flag on the halfway line to nod  the ball on into the corner. It happens with Engerland. That long diagonal ball to Sterling or Rashford out wide works for 5 minutes and maybe even a goal until the other side gets the message and then Southgate has to scratch his stubble for a Plan B. Much better to vary it with someone carrying the ball out at pace which is why I like to see Max Wright there.

Don't totally agree with the highlighted bit Ron. There's the tactic of deliberately losing possession providing it's in the area down the opposition defender's flank. Long ball into that area or even into touch and it gives the other team the problem of what to do with possession in that area. Obviously you've got to push up as a unit to minimise their scope to do something useful. Not the most eyecatching football though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
Mallyner
September 19, 2019, 3:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from sam gy
Would be interesting to see how that correlates with possession percentages though. We had 66% possession on Tuesday, which must be the highest for us this season. Watching it, it certainly felt like Salford barely touched the ball.

I quite agree and if Hanson didn't win as few aerial challenges as people have counted, most of the times Salford got possession was from the punts.

I felt we did some great inter passing, but what was missing was a bit of raw pace, like their number 3 had; and some guile at playing the killer pass. I would like to have seen Harry and a fit Ahkeem go at them.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Long balls

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.