KingstonMariner
September 18, 2019, 9:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
Love the over reactions of a football fan.  Fears that Lincoln will nick Jolley from us less than 2 weeks ago, couple of bad displays and he's the worst manager ever and we need to get rid.

I think our form of 3-3-3 is about right.  Over the course of the season that gives you 60ish points, midtable.  Which is where we are now, with a more or less identical record to the much fancied Plymouth.

The early season optimism was cautiously weighted by many with warnings that we're lacking a creative influence in midfield and we may be too reliant on the aerial prowess of James Hanson.  Those warnings appear to have come to fruition in recent games and we're not as good as our early season form may suggest.  

There's quite a few factors at play in our relative drop in performances.  I think there's a bit of fatigue setting in (Whitehouse, Ogbu and possibly Waterfall all maybe need a break due to adjustment, lack of pre-season or just burn out).  Harry Davis is a big blow because he makes us play a bit more from the back as opposed to Waterfall and Ohman hitting it long most of the time.  We need to keep Hewitt at full-back for his crossing abilities.  I would also like Jolley to look at having people work around Hanson a bit more, he's far too isolated and whilst he may win a lot of headers he doesn't have anyone around him to make use of it.

You solve most of those issues and we're probably a decent side again.

To be fair DHM, are the people having a whinge the same ones who were wondering which Championship clubs we would be playing in League 1 next season?

Either way, I agree, it's too extreme a reaction.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
bawarmy
September 19, 2019, 12:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mariner_501
1 point from 3 games

Man City 0 points from 1 game . Pep out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
Rik e B
September 19, 2019, 4:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
12 points from 9 games, 11th in table. Zero cherry picking to suit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
forza ivano
September 19, 2019, 9:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Rik e B
12 points from 9 games, 11th in table. Zero cherry picking to suit.

and took us until 20 October to get that many points last year, so a month and 4 games better off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
Jarmo.Is.God
September 19, 2019, 9:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
99% fans said they would take mid table this season, to build on next season.

We are mid table...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
Rik e B
September 19, 2019, 11:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
But you just knew the vocal minority would be out shouting from the rooftops the second a blip occured whatever the expectation...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
September 19, 2019, 11:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Rik e B
But you just new the vocal minority would be out shouting from the rooftops the second a blip occured whatever the expectation...

What do you want us to do then Rik, settle for mediocrity?

We have had nearly 20 years of being in division 4 or worse; it is right that fans show their displeasure when things are not going as well as we hoped. Do you think the Cowleys, for example,  would have the mindset that because we are not in the relegation zone things "aren't too bad?"

Football is an intense business, as you know and you simply have to be all guns blazing all of the time. Jolley and his team must know that another of his winless runs will be unacceptable, as the loyal fans quite rightly demand more.

I have seen us play well twice this season - but I have been cautiously optimistic because it is clear we have better players. Better players should mean better performances and results, and that is where the manager must earn his wages.

I am not the most patient of people but I have stuck with my home town club for decades even through the non league years, but it is imperative that we see genuine improvement this season and at least try to threaten the play off places.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
RichMariner
September 19, 2019, 12:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I'm often accused of 'settling for mid-table' when I try and be pragmatic about our progress, and consider a wider context. I totally get that my sort of attitude could breed complacency, and normalise mid-table as an 'achievement' but I'm also aware that a pursuit for promotion can also breed recklessness and overspending.

It's a difficult balance to get right, and with so many fans having such wildly different demands and expectations it's no wonder players, managers and chairmen often think they can never win.

I'd absolutely love it if we could win automatic promotion. Of course that's what I wish for. I don't wish for mid-table, but if that's where we finish then I won't want to feel massively deflated.

I want to enjoy football — I don't want to accept failure, but a football club isn't totally defined by its achievements on the pitch. Mitchell and Webb parodied Sky Sports in that sketch, but they got it right — football will never end. It'll never be decided who wins the football.

If it's just going to go on and on, then I'll want to enjoy as much of it as I can and not sweat about why we're not top of the table despite other clubs having much more resource than us. For this is the world we now live in.

We're mid-table fourth division with a mid-table fourth division budget. Yes, aim higher, wish for more (I'm sure Jolley and the players aren't deliberately losing to Salford) but try and be realistic about what's possible.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
rancido
September 19, 2019, 1:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
So , The Boys a Pillock is once again having a go at MJ after a defeat - well that's a surprise! Although I didn't go and consequently can't comment on the actual performance , I at least can mention  two incidents that help to cause a defeat, one of which I saw on tv.. Their goal came about because of a howler by Macca. No matter how you dress it up and regardless of the fact that it may have took a slight deflection, Macca fuc*ed that one up. Then we have Green screwing up what would have been an opportunity to get something out of the game. You can blame MJ for tactics, formation and use of substitutes but no way is he responsible for two acts of stupidity by senior and experienced players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
FishOutOfWater
September 19, 2019, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm often accused of 'settling for mid-table' when I try and be pragmatic about our progress, and consider a wider context. I totally get that my sort of attitude could breed complacency, and normalise mid-table as an 'achievement' but I'm also aware that a pursuit for promotion can also breed recklessness and overspending.

It's a difficult balance to get right, and with so many fans having such wildly different demands and expectations it's no wonder players, managers and chairmen often think they can never win.

I'd absolutely love it if we could win automatic promotion. Of course that's what I wish for. I don't wish for mid-table, but if that's where we finish then I won't want to feel massively deflated.

I want to enjoy football — I don't want to accept failure, but a football club isn't totally defined by its achievements on the pitch. Mitchell and Webb parodied Sky Sports in that sketch, but they got it right — football will never end. It'll never be decided who wins the football.

If it's just going to go on and on, then I'll want to enjoy as much of it as I can and not sweat about why we're not top of the table despite other clubs having much more resource than us. For this is the world we now live in.

We're mid-table fourth division with a mid-table fourth division budget. Yes, aim higher, wish for more (I'm sure Jolley and the players aren't deliberately losing to Salford) but try and be realistic about what's possible.

Good post RichMariner

The demands & expectations part in particular for me

Every time I see Town I would like them to play well / compete and of course hope that they win, but I certainly don't expect it and even less demand success

There are no certainties ever with this game and as long as I see effort aplenty rather than a lot of the apathy we had a few years back, I'm prepared to wait for better days ( if they ever come?? )

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Totally unnaceptable Mr Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.