September 15, 2019, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from headingly_mariner
N

Word for the stewarding, it was awful, aggressive and pointless. Not opening the bottom seats was just a recipe for disorder. It meant that those who’d been late in from the pub where stood up on the stairs and it caused friction between the Town fans.

...hmmmmmm

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
Gaffer58
September 15, 2019, 1:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
You would think that stewarding would be at least in general good, but invariably it appears quite poor. Nowadays with health and safety and litigation you would think clubs would really be making efforts to improve, but from remarks on here it seems that football still treats away fans ( and not just Town) as an inconvenience and not as paying customers. As I made a remark many moons ago, just imagine if you were a Millwall fan and travelled to an away game how you would be treated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
AdamHaddock
September 15, 2019, 2:08pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
It was pretty embarrassing the way a group of town fans were having a go at the kiosk staff just before kick off.

What was the fat guy thrown out for in the second half?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
headingly_mariner
September 15, 2019, 2:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

...hmmmmmm

I am merely suggesting that the extra space would’ve been of benefit to everyone, especially the families who ended up having the latecomers stood in front of them.
I am not suggesting people who behave like twits should be given special treatment. I saw plenty of childish and moronic behaviour from people old enough to know better. Had I had my kids with me I’d have appreciated the space to move them away from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
moosey_club
September 15, 2019, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I am merely suggesting that the extra space would’ve been of benefit to everyone, especially the families who ended up having the latecomers stood in front of them.
I am not suggesting people who behave like twits should be given special treatment. I saw plenty of childish and moronic behaviour from people old enough to know better. Had I had my kids with me I’d have appreciated the space to move them away from it.

Fact is there was enough room in the top tier....the fact people tend to gravitate towards the centre of a stand to gete a decent view of the goal creates overcrowding in a stand where there is room for everyone.  Now that is a stewarding issue as they should be monitoring the situation and steering people away from those areas at the point of entry to the stand.
Definately didnt happen yesterday and i witnessed some stewards clearly not capable of doing the job, several O.A.P type stewards amongst    the numbers but we all as individuals have to accept we have a responsibility...turn up late in the day because an extra pint is more important then dont expect a premium view....if a steward directs you to a seat or section then follow that instruction/ request.
Standing in an aisle does create a hazard, puts people at risk end of....it may not be apparent to all why sections are closed but just be sensible.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Madeleymariner
September 15, 2019, 5:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
As Moosey said lots of there were proibably a hundred seats to the side I was with sets of 10 or more in a row empty. More than enough room but the morons all need to be together. People were buying pints at the back 5 mins before kickoff and necking them. Their own fault if they can't sit/stand where they want. What was it our stadium mnanager said, other clubs dont like us when we visit, yesterday was a prime example why.. The fact they all went near the front and stood up blocked far more peoples view than when they were in the top section.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
hampshiremariner
September 15, 2019, 5:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
The. problem I have with it all is that most of the fans are decent and we all get treated as if everyone is a hooligan. The most aggressive stewarding I have seen was at WBA.

You get the impression that some of the stewards are looking for a good bundle so as to justify their existence. Ruins the experience of going to the match.

In the good old days you'd have half a dozen coppers and that was it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
toontown
September 15, 2019, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
We started the game brightly enough but after about 10 mins we were truly dreadful. Definitely the wrong players and/or formation, more worryingly a far far too slow recognition of that fact from jolley - it was obviously not working and that it took so long to change is concerning. Because of the change (and our new found goal threat and never say die attitude for which jolley must be commended) we had literally just enough time to turn it around and Nick something from a game we didn't deserve to. This was against a poor oldham side with a demoralised crowd who should have been there for the taking in my view. Don't think we will come up against such a physically weak and lacking in height team in league 2 too often. Their players were tidy enough on the ball but that was about it.
The only reason I can see for jolley playing Gibson is he feels he has got to in order to please Newcastle and if he doesn't he is worried it will be a black mark for future loan deals from them and other teams. Ultimately tho you've got to be ruthless and if Hendrie is a better left back than Gibson (and he undoubtedly is) then he has to have the spot. Hewitt and hendrie are definitely our best full back pairing. Hewitt is anonymous in cm and shoehorning him in there for his throws to allow Gibson to play is just too costly in terms of weakening the team. I feel the game tends to pass white house by as well, he puts in effort but apart from getting in good goalscoring positions I don't think he should be in the first 11. I would rather Clifton play who has a better all round game for me and use Whitehouse off the bench if we need a goal. Can't criticise the application of white house tho and it wasn't his fault he was played out if position yesterday, odd decision by MJ.
Hess had a good game and I thought max Wright was another bright spot in the first half. Ogbu was absolutely shocking all game, nothing came off for him and poor decision making when he had the ball. Hanson had the poorest game I've seen him play too and was wasteful a number of times from decent positions were he failed to work the keeper. He still worked hard for the cause tho, even on an off day he is a great pro.
Obviously great to come away from such a poor performance and being 2 goals down with 10 mins to go with a draw. There was belief in the team and fans that if we scored one we could get the other too. Not something we could have said in previous years.
But I do think that team selection (and a few off days on the pitch as well to be fair) gave us an unnecessary mountain to climb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
chrissy
September 15, 2019, 6:36pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
GYinScuntland
September 15, 2019, 6:40pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Croxton

Nearly kicked off near me when a Ronnie Kray impersonator tried to goad a guy who simply asked him politely to walk on instead of blocking his view. Credit to the seated guy who maintained his cool throughout.

For two seasons, Cambridge have tried a similar compaction tactic by sheeting down whole sections causing even small groups or families to separate in search of seats.. On the first occasion I asked a rather nervous young female steward to trot down to the front and ask her boss to allow her to uncover another section. He obliged so we could watch a shocking performance in relative comfort.

One or two of our prominent 'lads' were being spoken to by the Police as we left. Hopefully they will give Salford a miss.

Did you notice if their names were taken or were they just let on their way? Any cameras in the area?
this type of thing is impacting on us all and there seems to be a new a new breed emerging who'd rather pick on easy targets than go man to man with the same numbers or someone the same size, not that I'm condoning that either, classless bullies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.