Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He just couldn't help it could he..
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 207 Guests

He just couldn't help it could he..

This thread currently has 11,232 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
September 16, 2019, 11:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
I can understand jonnyboy's frustration when the 2nd goal went in.

BUT

Most managers tinker some more than others, they have to protect some players from too much action and make sure others get some game time to keep them happy and ready for when they might be needed.

Picking a side is easy if your job does not depend on the result , what I suggest in the future if I may jonnyboy is wait until the end of the game before having a pop at the manager you never know we might score 2 late goals,

Interesting fact,   Town would be bottom 2 based on first hald scores but top 2 based on 2nd half scores.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
oochiad
September 16, 2019, 12:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,677
Gold Stars: 27
Good fact that Pete. I’d much prefer a team that gets it right in the second half having sussed out the opposition and manager. If we can get it right earlier in the game then we could have an exciting end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
FishOutOfWater
September 16, 2019, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from oochiad
Good fact that Pete. I’d much prefer a team that gets it right in the second half having sussed out the opposition and manager. If we can get it right earlier in the game then we could have an exciting end of the season.

I saw stats a week or two ago how we were poor at getting out of the blocks but that in the last 15 minutes we were nigh on unstoppable... Saturday will only have compounded that

It's funny though that at the start of last season it was just the reverse... we were scoring first and then just weren't able to capitalise, more often than not letting the lead slip

As has been said, we are not the finished article but we're getting better... marry last season's games where we got the lead to the way we end games now and we could be in for a good time

I quite liked a comment made by Pete Smurthwaite ( Brid Town chairman ) on Friday night's RH Sports Talk.... he said he was really impressed with our fitness and how in the second half against Macc, if it had been a boxing match, the ref would have stepped in.

His independent view means a lot more to me than folk who are dissecting our squad and taking aim at our manager... Jolley has been in charge of us now for 18 months and that fact that our expectations are now much greater comes down to what he & AL have achieved

Anyway on to the next game tomorrow at Salford .... who should be picked, what positions should they play in and why? Discuss...  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 50
Meza
September 16, 2019, 1:27pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
I thought the slight rotation is MJ maybe trying to keep players happy.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2019, 1:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rik e B
But then I didn't attend to have the anger from being thoroughly un-entertained for 80 minutes...

I suspect johnnyboy didn’t either

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
jonnyboy82
September 16, 2019, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Wrong again kingston.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
rancido
September 16, 2019, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Wrong again kingston.

Maybe jonnyboy can explain the difference between how a League 2 manager prepares for a game and a Premiersh*t one? I always thought it was down to who is available, what format you want to play and how you counteract what the opposition will throw at you. Maybe the Premiersh*t is different but then again I wouldn't know because the only football I watch is basically GTFC and England.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
jonnyboy82
September 16, 2019, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Well rancid if you went to the Macclesfield game you would have seen we played 442 2nd half with ogbu out wide and max wright on the other wing and green up top with hanson . We played excellent and dominated.

Now if you would have gone on Saturday we started 442 and yes matt green was injured but we played elliot whitehouse on the wing which was just bizarre, the fans at the match thought the same and we were shite, why he didnt just play wright and ogbu out wide and cook or vernam up front with hanson?

Hewitt who has looked fine in defence looked horrible in midfield as he has whenever he has started there before.

It never worked from the 1st minute and as soon as he changed it and played players in there more natural positions we strangely scored twice and looked a different team, similar to the Macclesfield 2nd half.

Elliot Hewitt is not a midfielder but is fine as a right back and Elliott whitehouse is from what i seen a more than adequate central midfielder but putting him out wide was a bad move.

I been to all the games this season and the 800+ fans on saturday were not happy at half time and couldn't understand what jolley was trying to do, im not sure you have or even went saturday as if you had you would have seen how we played before he changed it.

Hope this answers your question but as always it's easy to have a go from the cheap seats.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
rancido
September 16, 2019, 7:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Well rancid if you went to the Macclesfield game you would have seen we played 442 2nd half with ogbu out wide and max wright on the other wing and green up top with hanson . We played excellent and dominated.

Now if you would have gone on Saturday we started 442 and yes matt green was injured but we played elliot whitehouse on the wing which was just bizarre, the fans at the match thought the same and we were shite, why he didnt just play wright and ogbu out wide and cook or vernam up front with hanson?

Hewitt who has looked fine in defence looked horrible in midfield as he has whenever he has started there before.

It never worked from the 1st minute and as soon as he changed it and played players in there more natural positions we strangely scored twice and looked a different team, similar to the Macclesfield 2nd half.

Elliot Hewitt is not a midfielder but is fine as a right back and Elliott whitehouse is from what i seen a more than adequate central midfielder but putting him out wide was a bad move.

I been to all the games this season and the 800+ fans on saturday were not happy at half time and couldn't understand what jolley was trying to do, im not sure you have or even went saturday as if you had you would have seen how we played before he changed it.

Hope this answers your question but as always it's easy to have a go from the cheap seats.

Very interesting read and a very thorough analysis of the last two games. Sadly , it never answered my original  question which was  apart from their difference in the football pyramid ," what is the difference between a Premiersh*t manager and a League 2 manager" ?
I don't know about cheap seats but I suppose mine are as I acquired them from the previous owner of my property.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
Rik e B
September 17, 2019, 12:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Strange that County fans said Hewitt better in midfield and shocking at full back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He just couldn't help it could he..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.