2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
September 12, 2019, 9:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Not knocking anyone at Compass FM but I think we can all agree that, after experiencing their coverage for a couple of years (or whatever it was), Radio Humberside's sports coverage is far, far superior. There are a lot of other clubs at out level who can only dream of getting the quality coverage we get from our local radio station.

I'm sure we all feel the coverage can be better in certain areas, as pointed out in the OP, but generally speaking there are some very proficient broadcasters working for Humberside and, personally speaking, I think we're extremely lucky to have someone as good as Matt Dean reporting for us. He does loads of extra stuff on social media.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
KingstonMariner
September 12, 2019, 9:38am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
But if there's not the people to ring in, which always seems to be something they're practically begging for post-match, there isn't an awful lot to talk about.  There's only so many times they can replay audio clips of the game.   It can take a while to get the interview with Jolley post-game too so it must be difficult providing up to an hour of filler.

As others have quite rightly pointed out too, how often can we expect the club to fall out with Humberside and they still promote us?  Most clubs recognise their local media outlets as free advertising and ways of engaging with the fanbase.  It feels like we view our outlets as an obligation.

What did they do to fill in time in the old days before broadcasters became obsessed with courting feedback? It’s not just Humberside but everyfrigging station. It’s just a poor excuse by RH.

The way the club has dealt with RH can’t have helped.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
LH
September 12, 2019, 9:48am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
People really need to hear other club’s local radio coverage if they think ours is bad - Radio Lincolnshire is borderline North Korea propaganda towards Lincoln.  Some counties will have an hours worth of midweek local sports coverage - we get an hour a night and up to 8 hours on a Saturday. You have to remember there are 5 professional clubs in the Humber region over two sports amongst other stuff like the Hull professional boxers, that biker from Scunthorpe and other stuff like snooker.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Madeleymariner
September 12, 2019, 1:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Had WM on after Walsall match, other than a report they weren't mentioned again during the whole programme. Just the big clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
diehardmariner
September 12, 2019, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What did they do to fill in time in the old days before broadcasters became obsessed with courting feedback? It’s not just Humberside but everyfrigging station. It’s just a poor excuse by RH.

The way the club has dealt with RH can’t have helped.

I honestly can't remember but you're right, they must have done something.  I suppose in days gone by the round up of the national scene was more of a thing.  You got back to the car and finding out that Southend had beat Blackpool was of relative interest because it was new, now-a-days we all know the scores as and when they go in.  

My memories of Humberside on a Saturday of away games I couldn't go to as a young lad, I would be glued to the radio from well before kick-off until the broadcast ended.  But that was my football fix for the week.  In the age of 24-hour wall-to-wall coverage, maybe the feature programme is dead in the water.  What can they really talk about?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
mimma
September 12, 2019, 1:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
I agree that radio Lincs is worst, in that they only have three clubs to cover, but only cover the wimps.  If it wants to call itself Radio Lincolnshire then it should cover ALL of Lincolnshire.  Otherwise change its name the South Lincolnshire and have done with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
GollyGTFC
September 12, 2019, 2:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from mimma
I agree that radio Lincs is worst, in that they only have three clubs to cover, but only cover the wimps.  If it wants to call itself Radio Lincolnshire then it should cover ALL of Lincolnshire.  Otherwise change its name the South Lincolnshire and have done with it.

Grimsby & Scunthorpe aren't in their catchment area. BBC Radio Lincolnshire's catchment area, since the stations launch in 1980, is the county of Lincolnshire of which neither Grimsby & Scunthorpe are apart of and haven't been since 1974.

Also, BBC Radio Lincolnshire offer regular coverage of many of the non-league clubs in the county such as Boston, Gainsborough, Grantham & Stamford.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 19
sam gy
September 12, 2019, 5:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,452
Gold Stars: 54
Honestly, i find it hard to find a fault with the coverage at all. As an exile, I listen to RH from 2pm every Saturday if i'm at home (and on Tuesday nights if we're playing) and look forward to it. I feel like they do a really good job and to be honest, don't really notice any bias (match commentary aside where obviously i have to use iFollow).

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
marinerjase
September 12, 2019, 5:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
As DHM says the saturation of non stop coverage/access to clubs and events make it much different to years gone by. One thing I recall they used to do was encourage fan participation in the form of competitions to win tickets, such as Golden Goals, when Dave Gibbins fronted the programme. Think you had to guess total goals in the games of Hull, Town and Scunny and guess the last local goal scorer.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Abdul19
September 12, 2019, 6:19pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,528
Gold Stars: 215
G-G-G-G-G-G-GOLDEN GOALS

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Media coverage

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.