2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
September 11, 2019, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
After leaving BP last night I knew that RH wouldn’t be offering any post match coverage as they decided some time ago that it wasn't worth their while staying on air any longer if they didn’t get any fan reaction after 10-00 PM

I realise that they can justify this with audience research figures etc. that would probably back up their decision

I’d have thought last night though they might have made an exception as I’m sure there’d have been plenty of material for them to cover

It is what it is I guess but I kind of expected a passing mention at least on Look North(bank) this morning or at lunchtime but nothing.

It’s almost as if they’ve made a deliberate decision not to mention us getting to the third round.

I can’t help wondering if it was any other local club if they’d have been so silent?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
lew chaterleys lover
September 11, 2019, 4:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
After leaving BP last night I knew that RH wouldn’t be offering any post match coverage as they decided some time ago that it wasn't worth their while staying on air any longer if they didn’t get any fan reaction after 10-00 PM

I realise that they can justify this with audience research figures etc. that would probably back up their decision

I’d have thought last night though they might have made an exception as I’m sure there’d have been plenty of material for them to cover

It is what it is I guess but I kind of expected a passing mention at least on Look North(bank) this morning or at lunchtime but nothing.

It’s almost as if they’ve made a deliberate decision not to mention us getting to the third round.

I can’t help wondering if it was any other local club if they’d have been so silent?

Well it is a two way street. It is very rare that Town fans ring in, and when you have the major shareholder ambushing their sports reporter at a fans forum, they are not going to do us any favours are they?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
chaos33
September 11, 2019, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Truth is it’s not really of significance to the wider region is it so wouldn’t have expected look north to run it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Theimperialcoroner
September 11, 2019, 6:11pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Might want to watch Look North tonight...

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
mimma
September 11, 2019, 6:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
I have always thought this about RH. They still relegate us to digital over Scunny even though we get larger gates and are well placed.

Is the reason nobody phones in is because we are fed up of the Hull biase and turn off before we can be heard?

Few years ago we had thrashed someone on a Tuesday night. Driving home I was listening to RH.  Instead of praising Town they wanted fans to ring in and discuss why there was less than 4,000 at the game. It was the only negative they could come up with.

Driving home after another Tuesday game, Dull City had played on the Monday.  Us and Scunny had both played so a lot of the audience wanted to listen to our teams. They managed to replay the 15 minute Steve Bruce interview from the night before instead.

If they want Town fans to listen and ring in they should cater for them, stop the constant negativity, and stop ramming north bank sport on us when none of the north bank teams are playing. At the moment, it feels like they can't be bothered with the south bank.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
moosey_club
September 11, 2019, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
they gave us darn good coverage (broadcast games) during non league days IMO, often more than Scunny and at least equal to Hull, the fact "the club" has fallen out with both Matt Dean and Burnsy in recent years, shunned them and moved to Compost F.M for a while hardly makes the relationship amicable.
Could always drop back in with Compost F.M and remind ourselves what cr@p coverage really is.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Hagrid
September 11, 2019, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Lucky we get anything at all from RH after the disgusting abuse matt dean got
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
FishOutOfWater
September 11, 2019, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37

Well it is a two way street. It is very rare that Town fans ring in, and when you have the major shareholder ambushing their spots reporter at a fans forum, they are not going to do us any favours are they?

To be honest I’ve been on air a couple of times on their shows. They now have a policy of not allowing you to go on live if you’re driving, even on hands free, so as I’m usually going back along the 180 after a match, it rules out me discussing anything in depth, although they will take a message and air that if you get in early enough
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 19
KingstonMariner
September 11, 2019, 8:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I don't see why the number of people ringing in should make a difference to whether they provide coverage. The number of people who phone in isn't a reliable proxy for audience size. More people phoning up could just mean they're angrier, or happier than usual or just loadmouths.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
diehardmariner
September 12, 2019, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
But if there's not the people to ring in, which always seems to be something they're practically begging for post-match, there isn't an awful lot to talk about.  There's only so many times they can replay audio clips of the game.   It can take a while to get the interview with Jolley post-game too so it must be difficult providing up to an hour of filler.

As others have quite rightly pointed out too, how often can we expect the club to fall out with Humberside and they still promote us?  Most clubs recognise their local media outlets as free advertising and ways of engaging with the fanbase.  It feels like we view our outlets as an obligation.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Media coverage

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.