3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
September 11, 2019, 1:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
In the very, very, VERY early days of the Internet Mariners, before a team had been formed, a few of us used to have a kick about in an evening. I remember Neil Woods turning up one night, who gave us some very simple but effective coaching.

I'm not sure if he was employed with the club at the time. It's certainly before he worked with the youth players that have been mentioned earlier in the thread. I don't think he was long retired, actually. Just seemed to be wandering around, happy to help.

I only have vague memories of his style of play, but watching some of the early 90s videos that are shared on social media he had an exquisite touch and was technically gifted. Think he's got a lot of experience and knowledge to pass on, and his record at this club — including long spells when youth wasn't valued by certain managers — speaks for itself.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
bedders78
September 11, 2019, 2:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
He deserves the sort of club legend status given to Lord Buckley and Dave Moore.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
cannylad68
September 11, 2019, 2:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Just to reiterate, what a top class player he was for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
BackHeelTony
September 11, 2019, 9:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Agreed Woodsy is doing a great job, as are all of the staff involved in the youth set up.

What is really encouraging now is that, not only are we developing good local talent we are also bringing in quality young players from out of  area (Rose, Pollock, Burrell)

A lot of town's success under Buckley can be attributed to players from away being recruited in to our youth system (McDermott, Handyside, Croft, Watson, Lester, Lever)

Great to see successful youth development and recruitment. Long may it continue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
codcheeky
September 11, 2019, 9:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Was a top class player and has always been a top class bloke, wished it had worked out better for all when he was manager
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
mimma
September 12, 2019, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
It's the best youth set up we've had since the days of the Moores, Drinkall, Ford, Wilkinson, Lund etc.

One word of caution though, back then top clubs couldn't poach youth team players on the cheap and let them rot earning a fortune like they do today. Makes it unlikely we will see the Town team of the Buckley era full of local talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
A Brace Of Tees
September 12, 2019, 12:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 3
Except it wasn't the Buckley era - it was the Tom Casey/John Newman/George Kerr era. Buckley's players on the other hand were drawn from various sources which, to his credit, he fashioned into exciting and successful teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
mimma
September 12, 2019, 1:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Sorry getting my years mixed up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
jamesgtfc
September 13, 2019, 1:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
I'm not an expert on the ability of our youth players but does anyone know how the current crop compare to others in the last 10/15 years?

The sheer number around the first team implies that they are a better bunch but having a manager willing to try certainly helps.

A lot of young players just need a chance. If Slade hadn't gone then Clifton and Wright would almost certainly have fallen down the pyramid.

For those in the know, how did prospects of years gone by compare to this crop?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Abdul19
September 13, 2019, 7:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
To be fair to Slades, he did give Wright a new contract (after he released him then got him back on trial.)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neil Woods

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.