1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Croxton
September 11, 2019, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
I've not given up on 433 yet but if we carry on hoofing it to Ogbu and Green as well as to Hanson we will just invite pressure on our full backs. Every team tries to get it wide when we lose possession leaving our front 3 stranded. When we do get the ball down, usually via Ogbu, we are slow to offer a wide option especially if Hewitt is on the bench.
Robson joined in down the left trying to work triangles but pace is not in his locker. Hess is smaller than Robson but wins more tackles.
433 can work if the movement is there and we use the wide areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
September 11, 2019, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,485
Gold Stars: 185
It wasn't just the hoofing that was a problem, it was the accuracy of the passes. We only put a handful of balls anywhere near Hanson that first half and there's little point in having somebody strong in the air and good at lay-offs if he doesn't get a chance to win the ball in the first place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
Malta_Mariner_90
September 11, 2019, 10:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Croxton

433 can work if the movement is there and we use the wide areas.

As obvious as this is 433 works best when playing actual wingers IMO. And while I like Jolley a lot as manager he does seem to have a slight blind spot when it comes to wingers for some reason.

Last summer he got rid of all our effective wide players (not counting Woolford) in preparation for 3-5-2. Then of course he signed Pringle when that failed. We then got rid of Pringle in January and reverted to 3-5-2 which overall was a failure again.

This summer we signed Green....to play wide? Why?

Why not go out and sign actual wide players if you are going to play 433? Wright will probably eventually force his way in to the starting 11 as he is the only real winger at the club and shows how much more dangerous it is to play with players in their proper positions.  

I suspect Jolley's main problem is wanting to always play Hanson and Green. Hence poor old Green is being forced out wide where he is trying his best but against any half decent full back he is not going to get any joy. He did put in a lovely cross at Walsall but that was a one off in my opinion.

I think Jolley obviously wants the fullbacks to get forward and support in the 433 like the Port Vale game. Hewitt in particular has done this very well at times so far this season. But on Saturday and by the sounds of it last night this did not happen and I cannot really understand why.

Just hope we see a similar performance to Walsall at Oldham this weekend as opposed to Crewe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Bradford Mariner
September 11, 2019, 11:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Since I watched the Bradford game I've been saying that 433 leaves us exposed down both flanks and other teams will wise up to this and have a field day down the wings.

We are playing 433 too rigid, the midfield 3 stay narrow protecting the middle and none of the front 3 drop back so that we can cover the wide areas when not in possession. If we play like that against Chelsea it'll be a cricket score and it won't need Duckworth Lewis to sort it out.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
diehardmariner
September 11, 2019, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,542
Gold Stars: 537
Last night highlighted the importance of Hewitt's runs and crossing from right-back.  Without him we had a massive portion of our attacking arsenal redundant.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
Son of Cod
September 11, 2019, 1:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from diehardmariner
Last night highlighted the importance of Hewitt's runs and crossing from right-back.  Without him we had a massive portion of our attacking arsenal redundant.

He came with such scathing reviews about him being a RB from Notts County fans. I remember he let someone in against Morecambe in the first half and they set up one of their strikers from about 7 yards but fortunately he skied it. Other than that, I think he's been pretty solid defensively too. Hopefully, that's the positive effect of having a better defence alongside him. Hendrie being at LB will never be ideal, but it's the best way forward right now, for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 11, 2019, 4:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Think a number of us commented after the Crewe game that the current players are probably best suited to a 4-4-2 with the two front players being much closer together then we see at present.

Unfortunately we don’t have Childs & Gilbert for those wide roles but maybe the Wright/ Ogbu experiment could be repeated to at least give us a plan B. Be good to get the wide players down to the byline as would love to see Hanson attacking crosses that are pulled back rather than deep crosses from 30 yards out.

Pity Devitt didn’t find his way back as he may have provided that type of player plus contribute a few goals, oh well let’s hope we get At least another four points from our forthcoming trips to Lancashire before playing Macc yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First Half 433

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.