3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
September 10, 2019, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Strange old game....started bright but then allowed them into the game and as on Saturday their shape gave us problems down the flanks, quick switches of play leaving our full backs exposed....after 20 mins i thought it was inevetable they would score but we then started playing possession football ourselves and the game went into a lull as our play was very lethargic.
Only Ogbu looked to attack his players with the rest of the players looking one paced and playing safe.

Half time i thought they edged the first half......second half one way traffic, Green and Ogbu went a little wider to restrict their wide play and we just upped the game....Hess everywhere, Ogbu running and using the ball well and they couldnt live with the tempo...how we didnt score i dont know, Hanson, Green, Ogbu, Whitehouse, Ohman, Pollock and that wonder solo run from Max Wright could have given us a cricket score on another day.
With time running down it felt like a last minute sickener might be coming up but no and tension of penalties just added to the win, fully deserved on that second half performance.
Jolley - good substitutions, Wright is a cracking impact player and added the strain on Macc when he came on. Cardwell on at the death for his penalty taking, fully justified.

MOM - Hess for relentless hassling and nullifying their centre midfield, Ogbu a close second for his attacking threat.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
bawarmy
September 10, 2019, 11:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
They (Macc) were playing for penalties after about 60 minutes so got what they deserved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
barralad
September 10, 2019, 11:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Spot on Moosey. It would have been a travesty if they'd won. Their keeper (bizarrely) appeared to be looking for penalties from about the hour mark.
Hessenthaler is fast becoming one of my favourite Town players this century..what an engine
Must admit my heart filled with dread when I saw Ogbu step up for his penalty but he put it away really well to cap a very good game for him.
Just a word for their defence. That clearance off the line was a remarkable feat of defending.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 10, 2019, 11:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Just want them to get the highlights uploaded now so I can see that Wright attempt again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
promotion plaice
September 10, 2019, 11:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Just want them to get the highlights uploaded now so I can see that Wright attempt again

How many of their players did he go past, I'm going for four ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Kris2
September 10, 2019, 11:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from promotion plaice

How many of their players did he go past, I'm going for four ?

Left 5 for dead I think. Probably would have been an easy goal if he made the pass but at that point he's probably entitled to go for goal.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
toontown
September 10, 2019, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
thought it was 5 but might have 'only' been 4 he went past lol!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 10, 2019, 11:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Hope the photographer snapped a Maradona-esque photo of it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Kennyh
September 11, 2019, 6:26am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +48
Anyone see how Ethan Robson played, please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
jonnyboy82
September 11, 2019, 6:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Kenny ethan robson was pretty anonymous apart from 1 very nice pass but as was most of the team first half, it was only until the 2nd half and we changed to a 442 i think we really got the better.

Ogbu Really played well last night imo and looks better every game but mattie pollock was standout for me and this lad is like a league 2 Harry maguire in he will head owt, can see clubs sniffing around him but also in max Wright too.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
MuddyWaters
September 11, 2019, 7:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Ogbu decent going forward but doesn't track back as much as he should. I thought Robson and Hess as a centre 2 looked very good and Gibson did OK too. Very hard to look past Pollock for MoM though.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
psgmariner
September 11, 2019, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I was shocked by how few were there but guess the England game was a factor for some.

Thought we were the better team overall after improving after half time. Max Wright's cameo was hugely impressive and Ogbu did all his Ogbu things. As others have said Hess did very well at breaking up the play and then getting us going.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Malta_Mariner_90
September 11, 2019, 8:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +796
For those who were there, was the switch to 4-4-2 what improved our game? Or was it just the second half in general?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Maringer
September 11, 2019, 9:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184
We were better in the second half from the off (not too difficult as we were awful for the middle part of the first half). The referee helped to galvanise the team through some absolutely ludicrous decisions - Hanson was practically rugby-tackled on one occasion but he waved play on.

I thought we looked much improved following the arrival of Wright. Possibly in part because of his extra pace, in part because of the change of formation and in part because Robson went off. One decent pass aside, I really don't recall Robson doing anything at all during the game which is not good for a central midfielder. Gave Hessenthaler and Whitehouse a heck of a lot of work to do.

I thought it was a lively and entertaining game and, for all their nice passing and runs from midfield, I'm not sure McKeown had a difficult save to make? Lots of potshots from outside the area which he fielded well.

I was disappointed by Green once again. We need to see more from him because he's obviously capable of it. Might be the formation which is why he isn't as involved as he could be? Fluffed the chance which came to him last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 11, 2019, 9:09am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
We were better in the second half from the off (not too difficult as we were awful for the middle part of the first half). The referee helped to galvanise the team through some absolutely ludicrous decisions - Hanson was practically rugby-tackled on one occasion but he waved play on.

I thought we looked much improved following the arrival of Wright. Possibly in part because of his extra pace, in part because of the change of formation and in part because Robson went off. One decent pass aside, I really don't recall Robson doing anything at all during the game which is not good for a central midfielder. Gave Hessenthaler and Whitehouse a heck of a lot of work to do.

I thought it was a lively and entertaining game and, for all their nice passing and runs from midfield, I'm not sure McKeown had a difficult save to make? Lots of potshots from outside the area which he fielded well.

I was disappointed by Green once again. We need to see more from him because he's obviously capable of it. Might be the formation which is why he isn't as involved as he could be? Fluffed the chance which came to him last night.

I have to disagree with the part about green I felt he rose to the occasion when the rest of the team did, like you said the change in formation could've helped, despite having his shirt pulled constantly he was fighting and holding up the ball and causing them plenty of issues. Im not sure if Ethan Robson was supposed to be playing attacking mid that game, but I think if cook had been there instead he'd have linked the front 3 together better, Robson probably needs time to build confidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
Mariner Timsky
September 11, 2019, 9:13am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Do we miss Clifton in the middle along with Hess + Whitehouse? Thoughts?

Anyone heard / read how he got on last night for Wales?

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
Oly1987
September 11, 2019, 9:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Clifton was brought on in the 74th minute and Germany smashed them 5-1. I hope he can get back in the team when he gets back as he will be competing with Whitehouse and Hess for the 2 workhorse spots in midfield.

Overall it was a pretty even game in my opinion. Ogbu may have some detractors but sometimes it seems like he has glue on his boots with his ability to hold the ball.

Wright for me was superb when he came on and as well as being a genuine attacking threat he also wasnt afraid to track back and put a tackle in. Probably should've squared it to Hanson after that amazing run but he'd earnt the right to try and finish it.

Pollock as I mentioned on another thread looked a little nervous at times but defended well and didnt get drawn into fouls. Only real criticism was him hoofing the ball whenever he had it at his feet but I'm not forgetting that the lad is only 17 and still has some developing to do. A fantastic prospect for town.

Exciting times when we have 3 home grown lads pushing for 1st team places and credit has to go to the youth setup, and Jolly for not being afraid to play them.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
marinerdazza
September 11, 2019, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Really important to get back to winning too after last Saturday. There was a time when one defeat would start a bad run for a couple of months. Great team spirit. They look like they're actually enjoying themselves. Unlike at the other end of the M180.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
Pogo
September 11, 2019, 11:21am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Literally a game of two halves again but overall I think town deserved it!
Just a mention on maccs number 6 vassell, I thought he was a very good player, surely if the management thought the same then could we be in a position to go for him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
lew chaterleys lover
September 11, 2019, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
For those who were there, was the switch to 4-4-2 what improved our game? Or was it just the second half in general?

We started the first half very well, and were well on top.

Then there was a pause, Macc came back into it with good play themselves, but then we started to get on top again towards half time.

The second half was all about movement and tempo. Tempo is the key rather than formation per se - we can play some good football but we have to play it with a tempo that unsettles the opposition and it certainly had Macclesfield on the back foot for most of the second half.

Ogbu was superb.

We fully deserved to get through.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
rancido
September 11, 2019, 11:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Oly1987
Clifton was brought on in the 74th minute and Germany smashed them 5-1. I hope he can get back in the team when he gets back as he will be competing with Whitehouse and Hess for the 2 workhorse spots in midfield.

Overall it was a pretty even game in my opinion. Ogbu may have some detractors but sometimes it seems like he has glue on his boots with his ability to hold the ball.

Wright for me was superb when he came on and as well as being a genuine attacking threat he also wasnt afraid to track back and put a tackle in. Probably should've squared it to Hanson after that amazing run but he'd earnt the right to try and finish it.

Pollock as I mentioned on another thread looked a little nervous at times but defended well and didnt get drawn into fouls. Only real criticism was him hoofing the ball whenever he had it at his feet but I'm not forgetting that the lad is only 17 and still has some developing to do. A fantastic prospect for town.

Exciting times when we have 3 home grown lads pushing for 1st team places and credit has to go to the youth setup, and Jolly for not being afraid to play them.

UTM

If it was a choice of Clifton or Hess then it would be Hess every time. I think Hess has been one of the" finds" for a long time and I hope we can keep him for many seasons to come. I do like the combination of Hess and Clifton as the " workhorses " in midfield and if we can find a " creative " midfielder to complement those two then IMO we have the basis for a very good midfield.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
thefish
September 11, 2019, 12:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from psgmariner
I was shocked by how few were there but guess the England game was a factor for some.

Thought we were the better team overall after improving after half time. Max Wright's cameo was hugely impressive and Ogbu did all his Ogbu things. As others have said Hess did very well at breaking up the play and then getting us going.

I think some of towns and MIAB's regulars are currently sunning themselves in Spain...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.