10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
September 10, 2019, 1:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,142
Gold Stars: 209
Hmm, I've been thinking about this more and thought of something else we might be glossing over.

The Cowleys have, up until now, been working with grounded individuals. Think of what they did at Braintree. They had very little money and motivated part-timers to balance football with real world jobs to finish above us in the Conference.

I know Lincoln were full time when they joined but, even so, the same applies. Footballers at that level won't be earning much, and can't retire on their wealth.

I appreciate that the players they've brought in since being a League 2 side (and now League 1) are an increase in standard, but still, I'd say the majority of them have been playing around this level for a while.

Basically, there are no superstars.

Now, Cowley's going into a club that was last season in the Prem. They might not be world class players but they're still a cut above. I doubt there are many down-to-earth footballers at Huddersfield in terms of them knowing what life's like outside of the bubble.

Cowley might be able to get the very best out of limited footballers, motivating them with tactics, ambition, punching above their weight, etc. Now, he's got to pick up a load of players who are probably on very healthy salaries, possibly overpaid and probably not motivated by much other than £££.

I'm not saying he's destined to fail, but it's a totally different challenge (and environment) to what he's known before.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
chrissy
September 10, 2019, 1:41pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from RichMariner
Hmm, I've been thinking about this more and thought of something else we might be glossing over.

The Cowleys have, up until now, been working with grounded individuals. Think of what they did at Braintree. They had very little money and motivated part-timers to balance football with real world jobs to finish above us in the Conference.

I know Lincoln were full time when they joined but, even so, the same applies. Footballers at that level won't be earning much, and can't retire on their wealth.

I appreciate that the players they've brought in since being a League 2 side (and now League 1) are an increase in standard, but still, I'd say the majority of them have been playing around this level for a while.

Now, Cowley's going into a club that was last season in the Prem. They might not be world class players but they're still a cut above. I doubt there are many down-to-earth footballers at Huddersfield in terms of them knowing what life's like outside of the bubble.

Cowley might be able to get the very best out of limited footballers, motivating them with tactics, ambition, punching above their weight, etc. Now, he's got to pick up a load of players who are probably on very healthy salaries, possibly overpaid and probably not motivated by much other than £££.

I'm not saying he's destined to fail, but it's a totally different challenge (and environment) to what he's known before.

Some very good points there I would think thats why Hurst was not successful at Ipswich,
Don't ask me why it is not working at Scunthorpe.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
jamesgtfc
September 10, 2019, 2:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner

I would imagine players like Bostwick, Frecklington and Shackell will have served him well as they will have earned a handsome sum; particularly in the case of Shackell. That said, he's probably going from being the top earner or one of the top earners to managing a first team squad earning more than him. That in itself turns the hierarchy upside down.

Be interesting to see if he can command their respect and what he does if he can't. He was teaching PE alongside management less than 5 years ago. That in itself will provide a huge barrier in winning over that dressing room.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
Helgy
September 10, 2019, 2:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Knew they would go it was plain to see as soon as they went on about budgets earlier in the season, not a shock to me.
Taking over a club that's struggling isn't ideal & the step up is massive.
Ainsworth said he was surprised by the step up to L1& it caught him out, so i'd imagine the step up to the Championship is why so many up and coming managers have been found out.
Our board will get the right man in and its something they have been preparing for ever since they arrived.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 10, 2019, 3:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner

This is what I meant earlier about Huddersfield recruitment policies. Most of the players are valued in the £2m to £5m bracket with one or two above that though the most is about £13m. From Cowley’s perspective you make some good points Rich. He has not been in charge of players worth even that much before. He will also need to spend in January to turn things round.

Huddersfield have abandoned their previous policy for buying players, the one that got them promoted. So Cowley has a free hand but he has no experience of scouting or agents at this level either. I think this was one of the reasons for Hurst failing at Ipswich. The only players he could recruit were cast offs or ones he knew like Tojo and the fans soon realised he was out of his depth. The same applies to Jones at Stoke.

New managers need time but even time is no help if they have no contacts abroad or at high levels in the PL/EFL.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
Mariner Timsky
September 10, 2019, 3:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Good ol' Tojo  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
Les Brechin
September 10, 2019, 3:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Helgy
Knew they would go it was plain to see as soon as they went on about budgets earlier in the season, not a shock to me.
Ainsworth said he was surprised by the step up to L1& it caught him out, so i'd imagine the step up to the Championship is why so many up and coming managers have been found out.
Our board will get the right man in and its something they have been preparing for ever since they arrived.

A bit like Paul Hurst, although I must say that he's doing a fantastic job at Scunny now/.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
grimsby pete
September 10, 2019, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Helgy

A bit like our board    they only give out 6 month contracts so they are always looking for the next man.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 10, 2019, 5:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,649
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Helgy

Lincoln are clearly very well run and Clive Nate’s appears a smart cookie however, as probably every professional football club in the country has found selecting the right manager is not as easy as probably most us fans believe it should be.
Nearly 50 years ago we  had Lawrie McMenemy in charge who built up the same rapport with town fans as the Cowleys have achieved at Lincoln and it took us a few goes before we got a decent replacement. As an aside we replaced Lawrie with Ron Ashman who was at the time managing Scunthorpe so be good if Lincoln follows the precedent and appoint Agent Hurst, nothing like a safe pair of hands 😄😩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
Helgy
September 10, 2019, 5:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Its a big no for Agent Hurst he already deep into his mission in guiding Scunny down the same path as Chesterfield with a back to back relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cowley to 'udders

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.