5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2019, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I remain of the belief that Hanson and Green as a two would operate better than in a three. By all means play 1 behind (Cook or Vernam) but in a three, they are too far apart.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Croxton
September 7, 2019, 10:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Garth
Suggest the max exodus at the end was people scurrying home to watch England

Nah, we wanted to get our Oldham and Salford tickets. Exiles and Away fans have priorities in order!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
HertsGTFC
September 7, 2019, 10:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I remain of the belief that Hanson and Green as a two would operate better than in a three. By all means play 1 behind (Cook or Vernam) but in a three, they are too far apart.

And with Max Wright starting wide right.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
LH
September 7, 2019, 10:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Crewe better than us - go and win at Oldham next week and it becomes an insignificant loss. We’ve had a horrible habit of losing back-to-back (to-back (and even to-back again)) in recent years so let’s shake that off this season.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
blundellpork
September 7, 2019, 11:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 31
Crewe, like Colchester, showed how one dimensional our play is. High balls pumped diagonally to Hanson looking for knock downs. The angle of the balls in make it difficult to head towards goal. Would prefer to see at least one winger who can get the ball to the byline and pull it back for an onrushing Hanson.

We will get results playing like this, but attractive to watch it ain’t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
quebec38
September 8, 2019, 6:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Nice to see the majority walk away yesterday saying fair result, beaten by the better side on the day rather than moaning.

We need to work out a way to get our midfield 3 in to the game more. We seem to skip them out transitioning from defence to attack and it feels like they are only used when we don’t have the ball and are trying to win it back. I think that may be the last of the Cook experiment and I would expect to see Robson starting there next weekend.

Bit disappointed yesterday but that’s how it goes. Hopefully learn from it and back to winning ways next weekend.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
monkeyboy
September 8, 2019, 7:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
I thought Whitehouse was really poor today. Hendrie well below par but not in his natural position.

Not sure where Cook should be playing but pretty sure its not central mid or up front, i suspect somewhere in between would suit.

Allround off day today but the subs and cjange in shape that proved effective came much too late but Jolley in all fairness is still learning his trade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
rancido
September 8, 2019, 11:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Maringer
Big disappointment was that they clearly decided to sit back for the last 15 minutes or so to defend and try to break. Our tactic of whacking it forward from our own half didn't change as we'd given up all semblance of trying to pass by then. Nothing wrong with using Hanson, but you've got to try something else as well.

I must admit it was my concern that when we signed Hanson we would play to a "target man" too much. I got the impression that MJ decided that the long ball was the main tactic to use against Crewe but it was obvious after about 20 minutes that we needed to " mix and match it " more. I hope MJ learns from this. We need to implement a Plan B sooner in the game if Plan A is floundering. Crewe showed the kind of football we need to aspire to - a passing game, use of wide men when appropriate but still go long if and when that option is on.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
HertsGTFC
September 8, 2019, 11:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

I must admit it was my concern that when we signed Hanson we would play to a "target man" too much. I got the impression that MJ decided that the long ball was the main tactic to use against Crewe but it was obvious after about 20 minutes that we needed to " mix and match it " more. I hope MJ learns from this. We need to implement a Plan B sooner in the game if Plan A is floundering. Crewe showed the kind of football we need to aspire to - a passing game, use of wide men when appropriate but still go long if and when that option is on.

Similar to last season he hasn't quite got the balance right so that we can get wide players in behind and have full backs working in tandem with the mid field.

I feel that on reflection both yesterday and versus Colchester it was the 4-3-3 that caught us out and not the personnel, We need to find a way to get Hanson & Green closer together with a bot of supply on the deck.  .    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
arryarryarry
September 8, 2019, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
I thought that Crewe were quite a bit better than us. They played the ball about with ease and whilst not creating too many chances in the first half I think in the second McKewan had to pull off two good saves, Waterfall made a great goal line clearance, they should have scored when McKeown came rushing out and fluffed it and they scored two good goals whilst all we had all game was the penalty and a tame shot by Ogbu on target.

Whilst a number of our players didn't pIay that well I think that MJ was out thought by their manager and hopefully we can learn from it and improve.

PS: Would someone have a word in Ogbu's ear and tell him not to fanny about with the ball in front of our penalty area.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.