6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
September 3, 2019, 7:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Boring , drab , relegation , out his depth , clueless .......just a few of the words used to describe hurst from Scunthorpe supporting work colleagues. Can’t wait to point out this interview to them 😀 if they haven’t already seen it that is , I’m sure they will be loving the fact he could spend so much time talking about us 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
SomeSanity
September 3, 2019, 7:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
The rise and fall of Paul Hurst reminds me a lot of Russell Slade’s but a lot faster. A poor performance from his side tonight  May well earn the  man another P 45.

Grateful for his contribution to our club, but time to move on..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
Jarmo.Is.God
September 3, 2019, 8:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
The thing with Hurst and Scunthorpe is, that when a team are desperately on a downward spiral, it's hard to stop that.

Look at Nathan Jones at Stoke...

Hurst is a good manager, and I thank him for getting us out that league, I don't care how long it took.
I can't stand Doig.

But we are in a better place now than when he left.

MJ & AL are doing wonders here, and managing to turn a club on another downward spiral around, and I think Hurst will do that with Scunthorpe, if Swann gives him time, like Fenty has Jolley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 3, 2019, 8:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I take on board he ultimately got us up but at no point did we challenge for the title , we choked plenty of times in big games ( Wembley & play offs ) and his refusal to change tactics when it was going wrong bored me stupid. I would say he was professional in his approach day to day but that’s a given in my eyes but obviously not in every case. All in all I’m glad he’s at scunny and not managing us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Hagrid
September 3, 2019, 8:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I take on board he ultimately got us up but at no point did we challenge for the title , we choked plenty of times in big games ( Wembley & play offs ) and his refusal to change tactics when it was going wrong bored me stupid. I would say he was professional in his approach day to day but that’s a given in my eyes but obviously not in every case. All in all I’m glad he’s at scunny and not managing us

that's not the case, we played well away at Gateshead and we were done over by terrible refereeing, the same in the Wembley final against Bristol Rovers, a ref that could do his job would have seen us win that game ( and we played well)

We were also challenging for the title in 2013, we was top at Christmas, unfortunately falling away
i'd have him back in a heartbeat but all about opinions isn't it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Malta_Mariner_90
September 3, 2019, 9:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Hagrid

that's not the case, we played well away at Gateshead and we were done over by terrible refereeing, the same in the Wembley final against Bristol Rovers, a ref that could do his job would have seen us win that game ( and we played well)

We were also challenging for the title in 2013, we was top at Christmas, unfortunately falling away

Just out of interest would you have him back now? Over Jolley?

For me Hurst's level is max L1 due to the fact that he only has one plan as a manager "keep us shape". He was often tactically out thought by Semi Pro sides managers in the conference at Blundell Park.

He did well for us in getting us back on track and stabilizing a sinking ship, for that he deserves a lot of credit. But I think the troubles he is facing at Scunny show that he is limited as a manager. He needs to create that siege mentality to be successful with a really tight knit squad. With the current crop of relegated wasters at Scunny he cannot do it.

Myself I am taking no satisfaction in seeing him struggle as I do appreciate that he was the manager who potentially stopped the rot before it was too late, if he had any sort of personality at all, instead of being possibly the most dull Yorkie in history, he would have been one of the most popular managers for a long time at Town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
mariner91
September 3, 2019, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Hagrid

We were unfortunate with the reffing decisions but we definitely didn't play well and we'd played pretty poorly in the first game too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
Hagrid
September 3, 2019, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Just out of interest would you have him back now? Over Jolley?

For me Hurst's level is max L1 due to the fact that he only has one plan as a manager "keep us shape". He was often tactically out thought by Semi Pro sides managers in the conference at Blundell Park.

He did well for us in getting us back on track and stabilizing a sinking ship, for that he deserves a lot of credit. But I think the troubles he is facing at Scunny show that he is limited as a manager. He needs to create that siege mentality to be successful with a really tight knit squad. With the current crop of relegated wasters at Scunny he cannot do it.

Myself I am taking no satisfaction in seeing him struggle as I do appreciate that he was the manager who potentially stopped the rot before it was too late, if he had any sort of personality at all, instead of being possibly the most dull Yorkie in history, he would have been one of the most popular managers for a long time at Town.

At this present moment no i wouldnt. So i should have worded it better, i like what MJ is doing at the moment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 3, 2019, 9:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Hagrid

How soon we forget. That was the case. Hurst has never been a one game tactician. How many times did pub teams come to BP and park the bus and Town did nothing but lump the ball up to LJL or whoever? What tactics did he have in the promotion season apart from a huge diagonal lump from RB to LW so his mate could try and nod it on. We had the only left wing target man in the business and it was not until he was injured that we looked more like a side with a few ideas and actually won. What other manager would bloody-mindedly persevere with a loan striker who failed to score for more than a dozen games while keeping a player like Bogle or Podge on the bench?

He did well at Shrewsbury and cleverly left before he had to do the hard work of fulfilling expectations. He was found wanting again at Ipswich, perhaps the level was too high. He has been a bit unfortunate down the road but given a 3 or 4 years might be able to turn that round. He should have given a good interview, Grimsby is the only place he has struck lucky.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
pen penfras
September 3, 2019, 9:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from mariner91

We were unfortunate with the reffing decisions but we definitely didn't play well and we'd played pretty poorly in the first game too.

Not how I remember it. Their keeper had a worldie at BP and they scored from a Mckeown howler. The second leg we were absolutely hammering them, even with 10 men. The second sending off was when they really got on top. The stats from the second leg don't agree with my memory, but I seem to think a lot of their chances were in the last 10 minutes when we were chasing the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27193081
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.