Marinerz93
September 2, 2019, 5:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Kris2

History doesn't really matter when it wasn't recent history. That's the problem some of our fans have and why many of our fans have a sense of self importance over other fans. What have we done in the last 20 years? It was like when Liverpool were a nothing team for years while Manchester United  and Chelsea were wining everything and they kept talking about how great they were in the 70's and 80's. We do that all the time and it gets boring.

How/when did you fall in love with GTFC, don't tell me it was Jamie Clarke's free kicks and obviously not boring enough for you to take your moaning bottom elsewhere, you'd fit in well that those misery guts down the A180..

Town fans reminiscing about previous Town teams does matter it's part of why we all follow Town, be it McMenemy's day or Alan Buckleys pass and move teams those were great times and why most of us still follow Town even though there has been little joy over the last 20 years and those Town teams went up against teams with bigger budgets and we were constantly the under dog.

We have played at Championship level a lot longer than any team of a similar size, we have more than enough to be proud of and why shouldn't we talk about those days, beating Newcastle at St James the season they got promoted to the top flight and hadn't lost at home all season, Jim Dobbin bangs it in the top corner. The Scunts released a memorial plate just for playing Newcastle, Jesus what would they have brought out if they had won like we did back in the day.

As for the Walsall fan saying the likes of Grimsby, he wasn't a kid, he may have been new to the game, or a bit clueless fair enough. Most of us roughly know when you mention a team, and have been following football for a fair number of years you have an idea of a clubs history, you can say he was focusing on our clubs recent history but historically Walsall have always been 3rd / 4th tier team, he is the one who shouldn't have any grandiose attitude about him.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Kris2
September 2, 2019, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Marinerz93

How/when did you fall in love with GTFC, don't tell me it was Jamie Clarke's free kicks and obviously not boring enough for you to take your moaning bottom elsewhere, you'd fit in well that those misery guts down the A180..

Town fans reminiscing about previous Town teams does matter it's part of why we all follow Town, be it McMenemy's day or Alan Buckleys pass and move teams those were great times and why most of us still follow Town even though there has been little joy over the last 20 years and those Town teams went up against teams with bigger budgets and we were constantly the under dog.

We have played at Championship level a lot longer than any team of a similar size, we have more than enough to be proud of and why shouldn't we talk about those days, beating Newcastle at St James the season they got promoted to the top flight and hadn't lost at home all season, Jim Dobbin bangs it in the top corner. The Scunts released a memorial plate just for playing Newcastle, Jesus what would they have brought out if they had won like we did back in the day.

As for the Walsall fan saying the likes of Grimsby, he wasn't a kid, he may have been new to the game, or a bit clueless fair enough. Most of us roughly know when you mention a team, and have been following football for a fair number of years you have an idea of a clubs history, you can say he was focusing on our clubs recent history but historically Walsall have always been 3rd / 4th tier team, he is the one who shouldn't have any grandiose attitude about him.

When? Suppose I was bought up on it in my family. The first games I attended that I can recall were around 89/90 season. I guess if you want to measure your male private even more than you already keep doing you can have that one over me  .

I don't really care about how many people who are old enough to remember the good old days and talk about them, I'm just bored of people acting like we are a big club when we aren't. Punched above our weight for a little while but don't have a great deal to show for that. Just surviving in a league isn't really an achievement that we can claim makes us any more important than other teams who did it on a small budget. People still go on about the Wembley double like it matters anymore, we did nothing of note in division 1 after that, we pretty much fell into a downward spiral a couple of seasons later.

I'm not saying people can't enjoy the past but some folks need to get over the fact it was 20-30+ years ago since we mattered. In the last 20 years we've mostly been struggling to get out of non league and barely making the playoffs. We went up on a single game and not on a season of great achievement. Time to get real, we're not one of the bigger clubs in the division and most see us as a team they should be beating. You don't earn respect just because of the past, you earn it by having top form and achieving things in the now. I think it's more important to focus on the team we have now and pushing them to build on last season over comparing our dicks to every team who has been around long enough to care when we might have played higher than them for a length of time.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
Marinerz93
September 2, 2019, 7:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Kris2

When? Suppose I was bought up on it in my family. The first games I attended that I can recall were around 89/90 season. I guess if you want to measure your male private even more than you already keep doing you can have that one over me  .

I don't really care about how many people who are old enough to remember the good old days and talk about them, I'm just bored of people acting like we are a big club when we aren't. Punched above our weight for a little while but don't have a great deal to show for that. Just surviving in a league isn't really an achievement that we can claim makes us any more important than other teams who did it on a small budget. People still go on about the Wembley double like it matters anymore, we did nothing of note in division 1 after that, we pretty much fell into a downward spiral a couple of seasons later.

I'm not saying people can't enjoy the past but some folks need to get over the fact it was 20-30+ years ago since we mattered. In the last 20 years we've mostly been struggling to get out of non league and barely making the playoffs. We went up on a single game and not on a season of great achievement. Time to get real, we're not one of the bigger clubs in the division and most see us as a team they should be beating. You don't earn respect just because of the past, you earn it by having top form and achieving things in the now. I think it's more important to focus on the team we have now and pushing them to build on last season over comparing our dicks to every team who has been around long enough to care when we might have played higher than them for a length of time.

Punched above our weight for a little bit   and as for male private measuring it's obvious you sit down to pee.

You need to find fellow mood hoovers who love nothing more than to suck the life and joy out of everything, nothing sucks like an electrolux. Although I bet you could suck a golf ball through 40 foot of hose pipe if the golf ball had any joy attached to it.

You apply rules to Town fans who talk about the past but ignore the Walsall fan who was also guilty of that, we are the leagues top scorers and yet he claims we shouldn't be losing 3-1 to the likes of Grimsby, what is next non league. How derogatory is that to our current form, you can't get more recent than that, we are scoring for fun and the 5-2 over Port Vale should have been an indication we are not to be taken lightly.

Football fans who have worthy history will talk about and reminisce, we are not the worst culprits for this, there is I bet nearly 2/3rds of the fans in the league have done this at some point or another you need to get over yourself, it's not a Town thing.

We may have won in the play off final but to be in that final we had to finish in the play off places so our performance was over the season and not purely on one game as you wrongly claim. There were many victories on the way that led to the opportunity to play in the final. You have turned the mood hoovering up to maximum.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
September 2, 2019, 10:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
I’ve always been proud of this club, even in the really miserable times, and a lot of that is down to our history which, pound for pound, is more notable than all the clubs in this part of the world - Lincoln, Scunthorpe and Hull too. Why shouldn’t we be proud of that? And reference it, when we want to? ‘The good times’ of the past were all we had to cling to when things really went down the pan in the non-league days. We are GTFC, we are a special club, with fantastic fans, a history of ups and downs, pain and glory, at all levels of the professional English game going back 141 years, and, all being well, we have a bright future ahead of us. Those seeking to play this down and say it is not relevant can shove your negativity where the sun doesn’t shine! UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
sydney
September 2, 2019, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Great Post
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oppositions view

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.