Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 263 Guests

Just Back (Merged)

This thread currently has 10,518 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
August 31, 2019, 6:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Great battling performance against 12 men but we'll let the ref off as he gave us the penalty to make it safe. No one played badly but we need to defend better against teams with wingbacks as all their chances came from the fullbacks being overloaded. Cracking header from Hanson to take the lead, and set up for him brilliantly by Green. Ogbu gets better and better and is so good at tackling for a striker, we have got a bargain there. I'm one very happy Mariner and sewriously believe if our players stay fit we will be in the playoff chase come April,  
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
August 31, 2019, 6:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Well what to say about that. Nothing too negative to say mostly positive (I'm still not used to that after a game).

We didn't deserve to go behind, but some dodgy defending with the midfield not tracking their man (a problem for most of the game), plus Macca spilling an easy ball he should of held resulted in them poking the ball in at the back post just beyond Maccas finger tips.
Green was unlucky not to get one back with a great save from thier keeper.
Whitehouse scored a good scrappy header to get us the equaliser.
Hanson was special today, he won everything even surrounded by 4 players and the ref being rather blind to a number of fouls on him (alot like in the Vale game). Great headed goal at the back post from an inch perfect cross from Green and a lovely slotted away peno, thought he may of even got his hatrick at one point but it wasn't to be. My MOM today and I expect a few others as well.
Macca made some Macca level saves at the other end there was one at the near post that was really special.

Now the negative, a clueless ref for both sides fortunately he didn't really effect the game or the outcome, but some of the decisions made my head hurt.
Our Midfield was poor today, even Hess, they were all over the place, not tracking men back, and either sat with the defence leaving a giant gap between them and the attack, or they didn't track their men back and put the defence and Macca under the cosh. Can't moan too much as we did win and I don't want to take away from that.

UTM (its hard not to get optimistic isn't it   )

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
Malta_Mariner_90
August 31, 2019, 6:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
From an iFollow perspective we were well worth the three points. Walsall had a few decent spells but over the entire game we were much the better side. I said after the Port Vale game it would be interesting to see if we would go to Walsall with the same attacking intent and have to say full credit to Jolley for setting the team up to go for the three points today. Nice to see us really mix up the pay as well just like we did against Vale. If we play like that most weeks we will certainly be nearer the top than the bottom.

Of course still things for the team to work on but considering we have plenty of new signings in today's 11 (6 by my reckoning including Whitehouse) we are coming together as a side well already.

UTM long may this continue!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
PB
August 31, 2019, 6:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
Well I didn't see that coming after a poor start with a sloppy goal. I don't know the possession stats but they had long periods moving it around in wide positions without too much end product. We remain very narrow, but it worked!
Hanson MOM - literally head and shoulders above the rest. Green had a good game (with the assist too) and the Wright cameo for the penalty was impressive.
There was no announcement re the away support figure, but it was excellent. I'm one happy Mariner, and looking at the squad after the final whistle, they are obviously very much up for the fight!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
chipsandgravy
August 31, 2019, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Well what to say about that. Nothing too negative to say mostly positive (I'm still not used to that after a game).

We didn't deserve to go behind, but some dodgy defending with the midfield not tracking their man (a problem for most of the game), plus Macca spilling an easy ball he should of held resulted in them poking the ball in at the back post just beyond Maccas finger tips.
Green was unlucky not to get one back with a great save from thier keeper.
Whitehouse scored a good scrappy header to get us the equaliser.
Hanson was special today, he won everything even surrounded by 4 players and the ref being rather blind to a number of fouls on him (alot like in the Vale game). Great headed goal at the back post from an inch perfect cross from Green and a lovely slotted away peno, thought he may of even got his hatrick at one point but it wasn't to be. My MOM today and I expect a few others as well.
Macca made some Macca level saves at the other end there was one at the near post that was really special.

Now the negative, a clueless ref for both sides fortunately he didn't really effect the game or the outcome, but some of the decisions made my head hurt.
Our Midfield was poor today, even Hess, they were all over the place, not tracking men back, and either sat with the defence leaving a giant gap between them and the attack, or they didn't track their men back and put the defence and Macca under the cosh. Can't moan too much as we did win and I don't want to take away from that.

UTM (its hard not to get optimistic isn't it   )

How about his. Forget the 'negative bits' and trying to get the 'pundit of the year award' and revel in a thoroughly deserved 3-1 victory. This team is getting better.
OH, and I thought he Ref was fantastic today!!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
forza ivano
August 31, 2019, 6:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
I thought Walsall were pretty decent first half, their pace n trickery caused us some problems but even at half time we had created more chances.would love to know what jolley did at half time because we looked far more effective in the second half and as we got better they got worse.absolute bullet header from Hanson who they just couldn't cope with after a superb cross by green ,who is very impressive too. Good all round team performance, strong and hard working.it was an enjoyable game, and I thought it was reffed quite well, although I thought the penalty was pretty soft. Nice to see us play a bit of football with some good passing moves rather than the mini lincoln performance atFGR.a good day for the big away followings all the sweeter by Scunts losing again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
RonMariner
August 31, 2019, 7:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,547
Gold Stars: 225
We looked strong today.

In the first half, after gifting them a goal, we played most of the football while Wallsall looked dangerous on the break.It was almost as if we were the home team. Their keeper pulled off a terrific save from Green, and Hanson missed an excellent opportunity. So I'd say Wallsall were fortunate to go in level at half time.

Different story in the second half when they bossed it for the first twenty minutes or so, but we defended resolutely, and with Green and Hanson up front we are always a threat. It was against the run of play when we scored, but a fine move, and brilliantly taken. This is the best forward line we have had for years.

And then we have the option of bringing on  Max Wright, who will always trouble defenders with his pace, and so it proved today.

This team is streets ahead of what we have seen since our return to the league. We have some good footballers, some very solid defenders, plenty of energy and commitment all over the park. We look tough to beat.

Yes, I'm happy!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
headingly_mariner
August 31, 2019, 7:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Great effort. We are really hard to beat and just have too much aerial power for teams. Thought at times we knocked it about well and were a lot more patient with the ball.

Thought the ref had a good game as well. Let lots of physical stuff go and that really suited us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
monkeyboy
August 31, 2019, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
How did ogbu do today?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Meza
August 31, 2019, 7:20pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from forza ivano
I thought Walsall were pretty decent first half, their pace n trickery caused us some problems but even at half time we had created more chances.would love to know what jolley did at half time because we looked far more effective in the second half and as we got better they got worse.absolute bullet header from Hanson who they just couldn't cope with after a superb cross by green ,who is very impressive too. Good all round team performance, strong and hard working.it was an enjoyable game, and I thought it was reffed quite well, although I thought the penalty was pretty soft. Nice to see us play a bit of football with some good passing moves rather than the mini lincoln performance atFGR.a good day for the big away followings all the sweeter by Scunts losing again

I also think we have a few characters like Hanson, Whitehouse and Waterfall etc who may also have an influence in the dressing room.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
Meza
August 31, 2019, 7:22pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Did Cook play ok in CM?

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
TownSNAFU5
August 31, 2019, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,863
Gold Stars: 42
So Max Wright directly involved in another goal after coming on as a sub again?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
marinerdazza
August 31, 2019, 7:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
It’s funny, I saw the line up and just thought “yeah, they’ll win”.

Don’t think I’ve had that confidence since 1990...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Rik e B
August 31, 2019, 7:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yep he won the pen - the lads making his mark 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Hagrid
August 31, 2019, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Thought you were being harsh on macca at the time and seen thr highlights and that confirmed it, guys 6 yards out expecting him to hold the initial shot think your expecting a hell of a lot
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Madeleymariner
August 31, 2019, 8:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from monkeyboy
How did ogbu do today?

He danced quite well at the end, looks a real character
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Croxton
August 31, 2019, 8:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Meza
Did Cook play ok in CM?

Yes, growing into the role and unlucky to be subbed. Thought Whitehouse was one paced and bypassed a lot today. But he scored and might have taken it badly. Even so, it's worth trying Wright sooner if Whitehouse tires again second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
The Boys Paddock
August 31, 2019, 9:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
very solid performance, from about the 5th minute, deserved ti be level at HT

Some good stuff played in the first half. , not so much in the second, but really good 2nd goal.

Hanson the handful MOM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
A.l.f.
August 31, 2019, 9:14pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Ladies and Gents - we have a team!  
Full of commitment, power and passion.
We look dangerous every attack and there is a good team spirit developing.
Enjoy.........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
jaygy
August 31, 2019, 9:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Hanson is an absolute monster in this league, causes so many problems and can find the net. He’s the all round player that we’ve been asking for for years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
HertsGTFC
August 31, 2019, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from jaygy
Hanson is an absolute monster in this league, causes so many problems and can find the net. He’s the all round player that we’ve been asking for for years!

This ☝️

Jolley has also pulled together a side that is fit for purpose at this level. There is little depth but the quality is better, only injuries can stop us being half decent.

Couldn’t go today due to a family commitment but I hope the impressive support who travelled enjoyed it as much as it sounded like they did.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
Theimperialcoroner
August 31, 2019, 11:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,142
Gold Stars: 102
Hanson is the new Lump.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
forza ivano
September 1, 2019, 12:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Hanson is the new Lump.

Tb h from what ive seen in 2 games Hanson is more effective than Lumpaldinho .just a couple of other comnsnts. Didn't think mckeown made a mistake with the goal  he was just unlucky that he made a decent save but it ended up at the feet of their centre forward. Ogbu  was quite restrained today beat men for pace n trickery but laid the ball off effectively rather than doing too much. Suspect him n green could work together if Hanson gets injured. .still not sure about cook.wonder if jolley is in the same quandary as Nathan jones i.e. There's a good player there but somehow we haven't found a way to make him truly effective. Would still love to know what role he had at Walsall when he was at his best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
kamakazebear
September 1, 2019, 1:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
What I love most about this strike force is that as Hanson becomes more prolific and teams start to mark him more and more, it's just going to leave Green and Ogbu with more space and time to work their magic. Can't remember the last time we had a strike force where I feel confident with any three of the strikers having a chance and burying it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Fishy clapper
September 1, 2019, 6:21am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Like watching Liverpool init
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
SalsaE70
September 1, 2019, 10:55am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
Good to see Imps second Xl doing so well.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
mariner91
September 1, 2019, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from SalsaE70

Coming on another team's forum on a Sunday morning doesn't say urban free wheeler, it says sofa masturbator.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
IlkleyMariner
September 1, 2019, 11:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from SalsaE70

Can't remember when Hanson and our Swedish transfers played for Imps?
But I won't rise to the bait

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2019, 11:51am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from SalsaE70

Still got Grimsbyitis over there then. Can't stop thinking about us.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
SalsaE70
September 1, 2019, 11:58am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
Hanson... poor mans Matt Rhead
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
rancido
September 1, 2019, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from SalsaE70

……… and a lot slimmer with more talent.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2019, 12:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from SalsaE70

Funny that because the higehst Fatty Rhead has played at is League 2, whereas Hanson played at Championship and League 1. Fatty's current level? National League South. So that makes Hanson about 2 divisions better on average.

Come back when you've got some better bants E45.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
tanga_the_indestructible
September 1, 2019, 1:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from SalsaE70
Hanson... slim and athletic man's Matt Rhead

Fixed your misspellings and misconceptions x
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
WesternMariner
September 1, 2019, 1:02pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from SalsaE70

Hanson ..... fit mans Matt Rhead, with skill, without the pies and the nasty cheating streak.

So not like Fatty Rhead at all really......

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 1, 2019, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The header for our second goal reminds you of Matt Tees in his pomp (or Ron Rafferty ) and there is no greater praise. It’s been a long time since we have seen a quality cross buried like that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
lew chaterleys lover
September 1, 2019, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
The header for our second goal reminds you of Matt Tees in his pomp (or Ron Rafferty ) and there is no greater praise. It’s been a long time since we have seen a quality cross buried like that.

Indeed. We have got to keep those crosses raining in as Hanson is unstoppable when he is attacking the ball just like Tees and your hero.

There is something special about a great headed goal and let's hope for many more where that came from.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
tanga_the_indestructible
September 1, 2019, 1:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5

I can't remember a better header of the ball at the club since Tees. He may even be a bit better in the air (though no one will ever replace Matt in my heart).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
Gaffer58
September 1, 2019, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Wonder if our troll friend from down the A46 is as busy on teams forums from league 1, I bet the Portsmouth and Sunderland fans will be thinking what a right tool.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.