5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
August 31, 2019, 8:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Wayne Burnetts Golden Goal

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
Poojah
August 31, 2019, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,474
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Rik e B
For sheer elation Burnett backheel in Shield final, more recently and more importantly Bogle's second to seal the deal pretty much in Conference playoff final.

This one for me too, probably more so than Arnold’s. I was certain, absolutely certain, in that moment that the curse had been lifted and we were going to be back in the league. By contrast, the John Lewis goal a year earlier just felt ‘too early’.

Other less obvious ones which stand out:

• Groves away at Scunny in the Auto Windscreens on the road to Wembley
  • Burnett away at QPR in a game where were completely outplayed but won thanks to that goal and a Danny Coyne masterclass
  • Alan Pouton’s penalty away at West Brom circa 2001 in a game where we were again outplayed but again won thanks to the genius of Danny Coyne

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
GollyGTFC
August 31, 2019, 9:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah

Burnett away at QPR in a game where were completely outplayed but won thanks to that goal and a Danny Coyne masterclass

It was a Paul Groves header which took a large deflection off QPR's Ian Barraclough.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1224528.stm]BBC Match Report[/url]

We also beat them (2-1) at Loftus Road in October 1998. But that was prior to signing Danny Coyne. The goalscorers on that day were David Smith & Kingsley Black. Before that you have to go back to 1949 for a win at QPR when we beat them twice (February & December).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 46
Poojah
August 31, 2019, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It was a Paul Groves header which took a large deflection off QPR's Ian Barraclough.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1224528.stm]BBC Match Report[/url]

We also beat them (2-1) at Loftus Road in October 1998. But that was prior to signing Danny Coyne. The goalscorers on that day were David Smith & Kingsley Black. Before that you have to go back to 1949 for a win at QPR when we beat them twice (February & December).

Clearly my memory has been obscured by the mists of time (and the several pints of Guinness I had that day in order to secure myself a novelty Paddy’s day hat). To be fair, the goal itself was, evidently, entirely forgettable - it was more how completely against the run of play it was and it’s significance in keeping us up that season that sticks in my mind.

The only game I can remember us being under more pressure and getting anything out of it was a 0-0 draw against Rotherham around 2002. George’s Santos and Steve Chettle (I think) were sent off in the first half and do we played the bulk of the game with nine men. Steve Kabba was absolutely unreal and practically played them on his own.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Poojah
August 31, 2019, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Clearly my memory has been obscured by the mists of time (and the several pints of Guinness I had that day in order to secure myself a novelty Paddy’s day hat). To be fair, the goal itself was, evidently, entirely forgettable - it was more how completely against the run of play it was and it’s significance in keeping us up that season that sticks in my mind.

The only game I can remember us being under more pressure and getting anything out of it was a 0-0 draw against Rotherham around 2002. George’s Santos and Steve Chettle (I think) were sent off in the first half and do we played the bulk of the game with nine men. Steve Kabba was absolutely unreal and practically played them on his own.

Having just Googled it it was actually Paul Raven, not Chettle who was sent off.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
Yossarian
August 31, 2019, 3:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Vance Warner
Can't believe it but no one has mentioned Donovan's volley away at Burnley. It's hard to imagine now that we'd never played at Wembley in our history. In those days a Wembley final meant everything. The atmosphere in the away end and on Bernard's bus after was pure jubilation. And what a goal!

Great shout!   Yes, that was mental - I was in line with the volley - it was in from the second he touched it.  Absolute scenes when that hit the back of the net.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 31, 2019, 7:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Joe Waters’ goal against Sheffield United in May 1980 takes some beating, in spite of Kev Dinkell’s hat trick in the same game.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Favourite Town Goal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.