2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
August 27, 2019, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Right, I don't pay for iFollow but I have an account, so I can login and watch the freeview stuff when it becomes available, so maybe this precludes me from hammering them too much, but sod it, I'm gonna say this anyway...

These 'extended' 10-min highlights they release a day or two after the match... they're utter garbage.

I've just watched the Port Vale highlights. I appreciate there were seven goals to cover, so that would take up much more of the 10 minutes than if, say, it'd finished 1-0, but literally all they did was show the goals and take an absolute age to go through the replays.

And on the rare occasion they showed a clip that didn't result in a goal, they'd spend another 30 seconds showing a replay of that chance too.

The whole thing just feels like it's wasting time. The teams lining up at the start while the commentator — who's in a tiny little room, talking away into a crappy microphone 24 hours after the game has finished —waffles on and adds nothing.

Then, with about 30 seconds still left, the match ends and you just hear background noise and chatter as the commentator forgets to switch off his mic.

I get the impression literally nobody cares about the quality of these videos. In the Bradford extended highlights, they left out McKeown's brilliant late save, so editorially they're pisspoor. The commentator is totally unnecessary. The Morecambe highlights didn't have one, and I preferred it that way I think.

Actually— I preferred it when the club uploaded the highlights by the GTFC video crew. The commentary may be a little biased but it's far more entertaining. I know the video crew are up there every match so it'd be good if there was a place where we could go to see their footage and commentary (but I imagine there's some FL ownership/rights issue about making this available).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Malta_Mariner_90
August 27, 2019, 1:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from RichMariner
Right, I don't pay for iFollow but I have an account, so I can login and watch the freeview stuff when it becomes available, so maybe this precludes me from hammering them too much, but sod it, I'm gonna say this anyway...

These 'extended' 10-min highlights they release a day or two after the match... they're utter garbage.

I've just watched the Port Vale highlights. I appreciate there were seven goals to cover, so that would take up much more of the 10 minutes than if, say, it'd finished 1-0, but literally all they did was show the goals and take an absolute age to go through the replays.

And on the rare occasion they showed a clip that didn't result in a goal, they'd spend another 30 seconds showing a replay of that chance too.

The whole thing just feels like it's wasting time. The teams lining up at the start while the commentator — who's in a tiny little room, talking away into a crappy microphone 24 hours after the game has finished —waffles on and adds nothing.

Then, with about 30 seconds still left, the match ends and you just hear background noise and chatter as the commentator forgets to switch off his mic.

I get the impression literally nobody cares about the quality of these videos. In the Bradford extended highlights, they left out McKeown's brilliant late save, so editorially they're pisspoor. The commentator is totally unnecessary. The Morecambe highlights didn't have one, and I preferred it that way I think.

Actually— I preferred it when the club uploaded the highlights by the GTFC video crew. The commentary may be a little biased but it's far more entertaining. I know the video crew are up there every match so it'd be good if there was a place where we could go to see their footage and commentary (but I imagine there's some FL ownership/rights issue about making this available).

Agree with the above I think the highlights are provided to the club to upload? I do not think the club edits the ones on iFollow. The guy on the Port Vale highlights seemed like it was the first time he had commentated on anything let alone football.

Some clubs do some really neat highlights on Youtube, wish we would take this approach.

Many non-league clubs do really great highlights of their teams well below the conference. In fact I first saw Bogle via Stockport County's highlights on youtube when he was in the Connie North!

Also as many FL clubs already do extended highlights with their own commentary I do not see what would stop Town from bringing out some extended highlights on Youtube with the "original" commentary team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
HistonMariner
August 27, 2019, 2:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 13
I have found the iFollow a complete pain in the backside.
Over the past few seasons sometimes I could get onto it sometimes not.
This season first game I was remembered, was straight on - great I thought......

Next game was asked to re-register but couldn’t because my Email address was currently in use ( of course it was, it was mine.)
Emailed a complaint, received a prompt reply. This led to a further 6 Emails and responses the last of which asked for bank details in order to upgrade my Sky account ?

Finally, next day I received a telephone call enquiring about my details but said they had only received 2 Emails even though I had replied to 7 of theirs. I am naturally cynical but it all did not feel right.

I terminated the telephone call because I had to go next door, give the neighbours hamster an
enema  after which I’d be in need of a lay down.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
oochiad
August 27, 2019, 3:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,705
Gold Stars: 27
We have had a chap who’s been doing some videos but they’re more match day moments I suppose but they do usually include the goals. I haven’t seen one though for the last couple of matches which is a shame as they are usually excellent. I agree with all that has been stated regarding the ifollow footage and commentary. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Meza
August 27, 2019, 6:18pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Yeah the highlights definitely need improving, such as being in HD for example.

The highlights look more like Skysports ones, with a voice over (commentator behind a pc lol).  Some of the NL highlights are very good.  I wonder if sky own iFollow.

My only worry is Town not making any money.  We moan about when the club drag their knuckles regarding Marketing, and when they go for something like iFollow it ends up non profitable.  I guess its cost effective to have someone else deal with the highlights, then having to employ several people to do it.  Personally I'd much rather the guys that do the YouTube have a go at recording towns games, if they can manage the roof haha.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
moosey_club
August 27, 2019, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Meza
Yeah the highlights definitely need improving, such as being in HD for example.

The highlights look more like Skysports ones, with a voice over (commentator behind a pc lol).  Some of the NL highlights are very good.  I wonder if sky own iFollow.

My only worry is Town not making any money.  We moan about when the club drag their knuckles regarding Marketing, and when they go for something like iFollow it ends up non profitable.  I guess its cost effective to have someone else deal with the highlights, then having to employ several people to do it.  Personally I'd much rather the guys that do the YouTube have a go at recording towns games, if they can manage the roof haha.

Problem is it's a customer relation thing...the service is only just better than nothing and we are expected to be grateful.  I follow match coverage is never quality... just check in on here on any match day and the complaints are there to see....no picture...wrong commentary.....stream doesn't settle it until 20mins in....
Alot of videos on Freeview when people are paying for exclusive access...
An independent service with Mooro's commentary , to me , would be the ideal but I guess the club have signed up for convenience so arent too fussed.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2019, 10:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

In fact I first saw Bogle via Stockport County's highlights on youtube when he was in the Connie North!

I met her once at the Bags Ball. She's much too old for Bogle! Talk about granny grabbing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Kris2
August 27, 2019, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
I'm sort of surprised that the extended highlights are free and the short highlights after the game are behind a paywall. I guess won't complain about something for free but they don't give you a reason to pay unless you live overseas or pretend to via VPN. The regular service doesn't offer much exclusive video, commentary often felicitations up and they make it a pain to unsubscribe by email they take days to respond to.

It's just the thing that all clubs jumped on, no different to Mariners Player and whatever else was before I'm pretty sure it's the same people. Barely works o PC and the phone app is useless, poor customer service etc.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Davec
August 28, 2019, 6:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
The highlights are dreadful, yes they are 10 minutes long but as already alluded too you don't see many highlights! The commentary is clearly dubbed on afterwards, you can hear other people talking in the background, for the Colchester highlights you could hear the guy next to him commentating on Northampton! Not to mention the commentators are dour with no Charisma, awful awful service in almost every aspect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
pen penfras
August 28, 2019, 9:59am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from moosey_club

Problem is it's a customer relation thing...the service is only just better than nothing and we are expected to be grateful.  I follow match coverage is never quality... just check in on here on any match day and the complaints are there to see....no picture...wrong commentary.....stream doesn't settle it until 20mins in....
Alot of videos on Freeview when people are paying for exclusive access...
An independent service with Mooro's commentary , to me , would be the ideal but I guess the club have signed up for convenience so arent too fussed.

I've watched virtually every match that's been on ifollow live for the UK and a fair few others when I've been working away, and I will say that the coverage has always been fantastic.The picture is good and runs smoothly. The commentary is often a second or two behind, but it doesn't really affect the experience too much.

I wonder if the people complaining are those watching through VPN, I've had problems with lots of things not working well when using those.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
moosey_club
August 28, 2019, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from pen penfras

I've watched virtually every match that's been on ifollow live for the UK and a fair few others when I've been working away, and I will say that the coverage has always been fantastic.The picture is good and runs smoothly. The commentary is often a second or two behind, but it doesn't really affect the experience too much.

I wonder if the people complaining are those watching through VPN, I've had problems with lots of things not working well when using those.

i had subscribed for i follow and the previous player for quite a few years and last year was the final straw....virtually everything was on freeview anyway and then after selling the package on exclusive content and access to the away games they then announced at season start you could access the games individually....now i settle for Skybet highlights available by 7p.m ish, Quest later on Saturday night and then the GTFC you tube channel.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
buckstown
September 1, 2019, 5:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
Anyone else have an issue with match highlights and interviews "freezing" sporadically? I thought it was buffering at first and it makes watching highlights a pain.
I watched the Colchester game live and that was ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
Grantham_Mariner
September 1, 2019, 5:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,181
Gold Stars: 50
Yes, very annoying!  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
buckstown
September 1, 2019, 6:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Yes, very annoying!  

Thanks, I thought it might be my laptop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
grimsby pete
September 1, 2019, 6:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from buckstown
Anyone else have an issue with match highlights and interviews "freezing" sporadically? I thought it was buffering at first and it makes watching highlights a pain.
I watched the Colchester game live and that was ok.

Same problem here getting fed up with it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › iFollow match highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.