3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2019, 9:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
I know we're very early into the new season but I think what we're seeing is that the management have changed the team in two major ways.

First, in terms of recruitment, they have made us more of a threat and less soft-centred. In the past, we would have certainly lost on Tuesday and possibly yesterday too. We also have members of the squad that can cover various positions and, whilst I don't agree with square pegs in round holes per se, players like Hendrie, Cook and Hewitt are vital in small squads.

Secondly, we seem more adaptable. There were clearly changes at half-time yesterday as there were on Tuesday night. Let's hope they can use our current form to attract the couple of players they're still looking to recruit.
Private Message
Nutsy
August 25, 2019, 9:38am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 5
Spot on except Cook is playing in a far more natural role in the centre in my opinion he looked more of a threat yesterday than up front or when he was on the wing. Similarly with Hewitt and Hendrie, both are first team RBs. But Hendrie is a better LB than Ring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
rancido
August 25, 2019, 9:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I know we're very early into the new season but I think what we're seeing is that the management have changed the team in two major ways.

First, in terms of recruitment, they have made us more of a threat and less soft-centred. In the past, we would have certainly lost on Tuesday and possibly yesterday too. We also have members of the squad that can cover various positions and, whilst I don't agree with square pegs in round holes per se, players like Hendrie, Cook and Hewitt are vital in small squads.

Secondly, we seem more adaptable. There were clearly changes at half-time yesterday as there were on Tuesday night. Let's hope they can use our current form to attract the couple of players they're still looking to recruit.

MJ is learning all the time ( as I'm sure any decent young manager should ) and last season gave him a complete insight into what is required to produce a successful Div 2 team. He has learnt from this and along with AL is putting this knowledge to practical use. We may not be the finished article yet but all the signs are that we will progress under his management.
Also, as has been pointed out, we have  a more adaptable squad. There are many combinations of style/format within the squad and indeed the modern game is very much a " squad game ".  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2019, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy
Spot on except Cook is playing in a far more natural role in the centre in my opinion he looked more of a threat yesterday than up front or when he was on the wing. Similarly with Hewitt and Hendrie, both are first team RBs. But Hendrie is a better LB than Ring.

My point being that Cook probably prefers yesterday's role but could also play Green or Ogbu's role. Having a small squad means that instead of having two for every position, we have second choices who play other positions. If Hendrie, for example, played any position across the defence or as a holding central midfielder I wouldn't have a problem.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Rik e B
August 25, 2019, 10:20am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'm glad we stuck by the management team when some of the less patient were getting a bit tetchy. Great to see they learning on the job too in such a technical manner and addressing issues that need sorting.

Also a mention for Jordan Cook, also nice to see he does indeed have an important role to play in the squad and another option for doing things a bit differently - but not weaker/less effective.

As for the versatile members of the squad, vital for a team with a budget that stretched; say we spunked big money (wages wise) on Hanson and Green, that might leave us lacking elsewhere somewhat and the utility players can fill in the gaps.

Or perhaps we just couldn't get all the players we wanted over the line so these guys can help plug the gaps till such a time we got two strong options in each position.

Extremely handy in times of a spate of injuries or suspensions too, or simply to help give tired first teamers a little break here and there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 25, 2019, 10:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The manager has now understood that success in this league means you have to win the physical battles first. His signings at the back and the front have been strong and good in the air and hard to bully off the ball. The second requirement is pace and he has signed that on the field with Ogbu for instance plus he has Wright on the bench. I think putting Cook in midfield may be the extra edge the side needed though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Davec
August 25, 2019, 10:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The final bit about attracting new players is spot on, our decent early season start would surely make us more attractive to quality players who for whatever reason find themselves surplus to requirements at their current clubs? Surely such players would rather sign for a club who seems to be on the up rather than a club who is looking over their shoulders at this stage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Rik e B
August 25, 2019, 11:14am

Whiskey Drinker
You would think so, and let's hope so. Yes Cook slotting into that creative attacking player slot we been crying out for well. I'd still add to the squad there if possible though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
GrimRob
August 25, 2019, 1:06pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
For once the summer signings have actually worked, made sense and improved upon what was already there. It's no coincidence that we actually kept most of last season's team and have built on it. Having to start from scratch every year squad wise is a big ask for anyone. One really good signing could really make us competitive in this division. The P-word is maybe a couple of years off but we're definitely heading in the right direction.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 29
golfer
August 25, 2019, 1:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Old Codger-I can't believe you are actually giving J.S.F. some praise for allowing the new players to be signed. Well done Codger.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2019, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

Old Codger-I can't believe you are actually giving J.S.F. some praise for allowing the new players to be signed. Well done Codger.

I am going to bite here.

There's a million and one posts/threads that are littered with various opinions about Mr Fenty. This thread was meant to be purely about football but in your own pathetic way, you had to go back to type.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 25, 2019, 1:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
This is not a side that is going to have a lot of possession or knock the ball around like Spain. This side will be built on a solid defence and breaks with pace and accurate passing. Interesting Askey said we only had 5 chances. That was rubbish. Sometimes the manager of a team that has a lot of possession thinks they ran the game but Buckley's sides were never possession teams, neither were Clough's. But they won a lot. The most successful Town sides have been built this way.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
golfer
August 25, 2019, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Codger-you bit.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2019, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Codger-you bit.  

You make my point 🤨
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
HertsGTFC
August 25, 2019, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree and we’ve got the blend of experience and youth right IMHO. MJ said 3 windows and he’s being true to his word so far within the confines of our playing budget versus income.

I guess you could say the squad is not deep enough but give me L2 quality versus quantity any day.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
jamesgtfc
August 25, 2019, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree and we’ve got the blend of experience and youth right IMHO. MJ said 3 windows and he’s being true to his word so far within the confines of our playing budget versus income.

I guess you could say the squad is not deep enough but give me L2 quality versus quantity any day.

That lack of depth has been made up for with the versatility in a number of players (Hewitt, Hendrie, Cook)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Question is how well the next one goes (I know this one isn't over yet).

Will we be able to retain our good players? Will we be able to bring in anyone who adds to the squad without disrupting things. If that window goes well......well....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Rik e B
August 25, 2019, 9:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That lack of depth has been made up for with the versatility in a number of players (Hewitt, Hendrie, Cook)

And youngsters stepping up to the plate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
sydney
August 25, 2019, 10:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
We Seem together
We seem to “want it”
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
TownSNAFU5
August 25, 2019, 10:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Jolley has learnt from last season what is needed to succeed n this division.

There is a parallel with Bielsa at Leeds.  He has changed the team from last season (top players have been sold).  They are flying now.

Both teams are also top scorers in their divisions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from sydney
We Seem together
We seem to “want it”
Come on Town!!

Needs 4 more syllables for a proper Haiku, but keep up the good work!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 11:15pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

There is a parallel with Bielsa at Leeds.  He has changed the team from last season (top players have been sold).  They are flying now.

But who gives a excrement about Leeds?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Posh Harry
August 25, 2019, 11:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Bielsa is well known for flogging his team pre season and also in early season. That is why his teams mainly fall away towards the end of the season, like Leeds did last year, because they are absolutely knackered.

Doesn’t mean it will happen the same this season but I certainly don’t see any parallels
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 11:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Bielsa is well known for flogging his team pre season and also in early season. That is why his teams mainly fall away towards the end of the season, like Leeds did last year, because they are absolutely knackered.

Doesn’t mean it will happen the same this season but I certainly don’t see any parallels

Is that why this happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcHro6CD12A

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Abdul19
August 26, 2019, 3:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Posh Harry

Neither do I. They have the same amount of points after 5 games as they had a year ago!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
golfer
August 26, 2019, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Question is how well the next one goes (I know this one isn't over yet).

Will we be able to retain our good players? Will we be able to bring in anyone who adds to the squad without disrupting things. If that window goes well......well....

Have confidence my friend-the squad has got it now after Saturday. I am suddenly very confident.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
golfer
August 26, 2019, 4:36pm
Vodka Drinker

Needs 4 more syllables for a proper Haiku, but keep up the good work!

" I'm a Poet "
   "And I know it "        How's that then ?  P.S.   You are not KOBAYASHI  ISSA by any chance.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 26, 2019, 6:33pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from golfer

" I'm a Poet "
   "And I know it "        How's that then ?  P.S.   You are not KOBAYASHI  ISSA by any chance.

I’m more Nationwide ISA Golfer San

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
chaos33
August 26, 2019, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349

What are those sheff weds fans singing?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Mariner Timsky
August 27, 2019, 8:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Leeds , Leeds are falling apart again

To the tune of Joy Division’s Love Will Tear us Apart

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A word for the management

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.