6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
tarka
August 24, 2019, 6:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
Gold Stars: 29
In the second half we virtually missed out Hansen and Green and Ogbu seemed to push up right onto their centre halves. We turned them and did them for pace. Credit to Jolley and Limbrick (who I suspect is the tactical nouse in the set up) for changing things at half time.Waterfall was the stand out player for me....a leader at the back who spent the second half coaching and cajolling Pollock.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
Nutsy
August 24, 2019, 6:35pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 5
Thought Pollock was lucky to not be more than cautioned for piggy backing their players a few times but stood up well aside from that.

Man of the match for me is either Ogbu or Green. Green goes under the radar but his hold up and general presence up front was class
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
buckstown
August 24, 2019, 6:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
Quoted from OllieGTFC
You heard here first, we will be in the plays off end of the season, #AllOnBoardLeagueOneTrain

Still 40/1 to win the league on Skybet (1/4 odds first 3) and only 6 teams below us in the betting.
Maybe it's based on Tuesday's performance?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
Maringer
August 24, 2019, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
One big difference between the halves was, of course, the wind. In our faces first half and it was easier for their defenders to win it as our kicks upfield held up in the air. The opposite situation in the second half as our defenders won pretty much every aerial challenge and we were able to get in behind them quite often.

In fact, other than their goal from some terribly lax defending, I don't really recall them getting close to a chance in the second half whereas we had a few efforts where we could have done better. Not that I'm complaining about scoring five!

The fact that the strikers aren't just scoring goals but also getting the 'assists' shows a decent understanding developing there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
August 24, 2019, 6:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from OllieGTFC
You heard here first, we will be in the plays off end of the season, #AllOnBoardLeagueOneTrain

Bit early to be giving up on automatic promotion imo.  
Reply: 14 - 56
devs
August 24, 2019, 6:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Cook made a big difference for me
Gave midfield some craft and invention
Good footballer Cook - excellent touch and brainy

Ogbu MOM for me - always a threat in second half
Hess - a dynamo
Green - classy finish
I like Hewiit's pace and crossing is excellent
Wright - top impact sub

We are strong, direct but also play a bit of footy

We have a goal threat - vital cos you'll never keep clean sheet after clean sheet

Looking good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
bedders78
August 24, 2019, 7:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I wonder if Hanson has found his way out of their defender's arms yet. Useless officials.

At least buy him a drink first

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
MarinersOnTheUp
August 24, 2019, 7:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Day started well, had abuse shouted at me by some Scunthorpe fans when walking through Grimsby Town centre in my town shirt on the way to the game which was hilarious, sums Scunthorpe up. They'd rather enjoy a day in Grimsby than be at their own game.

5-2 win, I'll take that. First half was solid, nothing special as such but we definitely competed and battled well. Started well but conceded a scrappy goal after 10 minutes, think it might've actually been an own goal. Port Vale then put all 11 men behind the ball, which isn't the best idea if you go 1-0 after 10 minutes. They were dirty, tried (and failed) to mark James Hanson out of the game and we're constantly short pulling and wrapping arms round our front players. Their lead rightly didn't last long and we got a deserved equaliser 10 minutes later. A well worked free kick put away by Jordon Cook. The first half display from the ref was one of the worse I've ever seen at BP, made mistakes from the start and even made kick off be taken again at the start and after half time for some reason. Town looked like they might get another before the break but it didn't happen. Moses Ogbu did fall over the ball though but it's ok we still love him.

Pollock came on at Half time because Davis had a knock, very impressive display, he looks more like a seasoned pro than a 17 year old. Already being comfortable with first team football I'd day he's going to go far in the game, wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in the Championship/Premier League.

Started the second half very well and made it 3-1 before 60 minutes. Two good goals from Ogbu and Green have us a deserved lead. Ogbu's celebration was quite something aswell. I'm convinced Ogbu will be a key player for us this season, yes he makes some silly mistakes but it's clear he's got something special about him. It's easy to forget he's moved half way round the world to play in English football for the first time after being in Saudi Arabia, he's just going to get better and better as he settles in and adapts to our game.

Conceded another scrappy goal to make it 3-2, not too concerned with the goals we conceded. They were a mixture of luck on Vales part and silly mistakes from us. Nothing major that needs to dealt with I don't think.

Well worked corner (we never score from corners? ) lead to Waterfall with an absolute bullet of a head to make it 4-2
Max Wright came on with 10 minutes to go and almost immediately made an impact assisting James Hanson to make it 5-2, if it hadn't have been a goal we'd have had a penalty because Max had got away from his marker and was pulled down as he made the assist. Another one with a bright future ahead, impressive pace and technical ability for a young lad.

Main points to take form that are;
- Again we don't look phased by going behind, heads didn't drop and we worked hard to pull it back
- We look very dangerous from set pieces, something I personally haven't seen in entire my 14 years of watching Town, if we keep that up we'll win points from set pieces alone, absolutely vital in tight games
- Ogbu is such an unpredictable, exciting player. You never know what he's going to do and nor do the opposition. Yes he made some mistake and there could be some work on his decision making when it comes to releasing the ball but he's just that kind of player, he tries to be creative and sometimes it won't always come off and people will get frustrated but he's got a moment of brilliance in him that will win us matches.
- Pollock looks more than comfortable with first team football and we need him on a longer contract
- We look so comfortable on the ball and when we keep hold of it and pass it around we look very threatening
- There's still room for improvement in a few areas. That's not a bad thing either, we looked very good today but the best sides always look to go even better and that's what we need to do. Celebrate a good win and good performance then get straight back to it starting on Tuesday night in the cup.

Jolley has recruited well this summer. Last season we had a problem scoring goals. We're the leagues top scorers after today. Give our front 3 service and they will score.

Won't be back at BP until December now.

Up the Mariners🐟🐟🐟

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Marinerz93
August 24, 2019, 7:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Apparently MarinersOnTheUp those dirty Scunts you encountered were at our game because they've been told if they want to watch a decent team play good attacking football and score goals to get to Grimsby, they were of course in with the vale fans, as we don't let tramps in the home stands.

Was this the group of dirty Scunts you saw.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/00L921N.jpg[/img]

or these toothless wonders
[img]https://i.imgur.com/LiVZgi0.jpg[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Madeleymariner
August 24, 2019, 7:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Drove home very happy with a slightly sad looking Vale fan. Played quite well, made all the difference that we did not just hoof up to Hanson all game, got it down and played. Well happy, excellent team effort and Ogbu quickly becoming a fave.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.