This thread currently has 9,080 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 20, 2019, 11:30am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Have called off their game at home to Donny tonight with concerns for "player welfare" without consulting the EFL or Donny.

A sad state of affairs with Bury looking likely to go pop and maybe Bolton following soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49399958

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
August 20, 2019, 11:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Hmm, awkward one to resolve. Do clubs have the power to just call a match off without consulting the other team or seeking approval from the EFL?

I have (some) sympathy for Bolton, in the sense that they feel they can't keep fielding kids that are also playing youth games, so I understand their concerns about over-playing them and over-exposing them to the physical demands of first team football.

However, I'd like to bet that the majority of them want to play. Maybe, if they're also playing youth games, they should call the youth fixtures off and prioritise the first team games?

I know it's not exactly the same position as Bury but if there was any doubt around Bolton being able to fulfil 46 league fixtures before the season started then the EFL should've been across this from the start.

It really is a sad state of affairs. Bolton and Bury are in the positions they are from gross overspending and arrogance from the top. I'm not sure the EFL are coming out of this positively either.

As always, it's the fans that suffer.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
pizzzza
August 20, 2019, 11:48am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Sounds to me like they are trying to buy some time and avoid another spanking. They'd probably rather delay until more senior players are available so at least they have some chance of picking up a point or 3.

Or maybe that is just me being a cynical twit.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
grimsby pete
August 20, 2019, 11:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I think if any club postpones a game without approval a hefty fine will follow at least.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
horsforthmariner
August 20, 2019, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from pizzzza
Sounds to me like they are trying to buy some time and avoid another spanking. They'd probably rather delay until more senior players are available so at least they have some chance of picking up a point or 3.

Or maybe that is just me being a cynical twit.

I bet this is the case. If I was the EFL i'd  just award the tie to Donny 3-0.

To be fair both Bolton and Bury are a shambles. Every EFL club should be forced to pass a test that they have paid their players and can prove they can fufil their fixtures six weeks out from the season. If they can't do that they should be thrown out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
TownSNAFU5
August 20, 2019, 12:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,844
Gold Stars: 42
An even heftier fine if they have not had enough stewards to control the fans.

Both Bolton and Bury at serious risk of disappearing as league clubs.

There is a bigger issue here.  Clubs are in more serious trouble than before.  The EFL also seem unable or unwilling to stop dodgy owners taking control.  The recipe for a perfect storm.

If 1 or 2 clubs go bust, I can see a domino effect whereby other clubs go to the wall.  The EFL might also lose patience with struggling clubs and pull the plug.

Probably most EFL clubs are vulnerable here.  If our takeover does not happen, and John Fenty wants to relinquish control, then we could be at risk.  I cannot see the EFL being too bothered about our future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
Les Brechin
August 20, 2019, 1:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Not sure what the EFL's ruling is on calling off games, but I know that even in the local Sunday League, once fixtures are set, then, barring weather related postponements, games must be played on the date set down,

You can apply for one fixture free date before the start of the season but that's all.

Anyone calling off a game sees the points awarded to their opponents and get fined.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
lukeo
August 20, 2019, 1:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from Les Brechin
Not sure what the EFL's ruling is on calling off games, but I know that even in the local Sunday League, once fixtures are set, then, barring weather related postponements, games must be played on the date set down,

You can apply for one fixture free date before the start of the season but that's all.

Anyone calling off a game sees the points awarded to their opponents and get fined.

Similar down here on Saturday except you can close 2 dates but the league needs 1 month notice minimum
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
The Boys Paddock
August 20, 2019, 1:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Bolton in more trouble here, player welfare? wtf is that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
pizzzza
August 20, 2019, 1:29pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Les Brechin

But that has not happened to Bury has it?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bolton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.