Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 130 Guests

Just Back?

This thread currently has 6,809 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
August 18, 2019, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
The main thing I took from the match was, I am glad town do not play football like FGR. No wonder they get small no vocal crowds. I would not buy a ticket to watch that every week.
I has been said we did not let them play, but all the passing across their defence even when they did have options to go forward I do not think they wanted to play football.

Maybe they wanted to win, wouldn't you buy a ticket to see Town win every week?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
scott_gtfc_89
August 18, 2019, 11:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
To me we’ve had 2 of the teams defiantly going to be in the top 7 and for me the probable league winners in Bradford, my expectations from them 3 games are what I thought in beating Morcambe, drawing with Bradford and loosing to forest green,

The encouraging thing is we could of easily beat Bradford and picked up a draw with FGR minimum.

We have to push on now and I believe we can beat any team
At home, Colchester have started bad with one point, we need to beat them and we really should be beating port vale.

For me now it’s consistency, am happy enough in the first three games to see we have a team that’s improved on last season and could possibly sneak the play offs seeming as we was around that spot by Christmas last season before the dire run after new year, now it’s all about doing what we didn’t do last season and go from playing well picking up points to loosing and playing crap, I think the next 4-5 games will tell us this and we will understand more of what to expect this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
arryarryarry
August 18, 2019, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from forza ivano
Ok I will dive in with a few observations.and they are precisely that observations NOT criticisms. First time I've seen them this season. Much better quality players compared to last season  who are hard working and well organised. Very disciplined but not much flair or pace. Definitely need 1 or 2 left footed players, far too much time wasted by players cutting back to get it on to their favoured foot. We have been transformed into a mini lincoln, it's long balls ,hard work, long throws with attempted quick breaks. Trouble is that with no pace you're going to struggle with that strstegy! We created very little  and it's very reliant on the impressive Hanson winning headers and the rest feeding off those knockdowns.
FGR were much nicer on the eye despite them playing the ref like a fiddle all game and going down like they'd been shot. They were the only team really looking to win the game and they'd argue (probably rightly) that they deserved their bit of luck for all the probing and nice clever football they'd played in the previous 75 mins. We created very little and looked like we'd come for the point. We won't go down but we'd  need a bit more to be challengers.
Impressed with new boys hewitt, Hanson green (especislly) and whitehouse.hess and Davis looked good but Clifton was poor.Moses is going to be a marmite player, looks like he could be a handful but made a couple of v poor decisions, hanging on to the ball for too long. Overall much more effective and efficient than last season but it won't great to watch. We really need a player like their no.14 adams

Some FGR fans on their site suggested we were playing like Lincoln, if only we could be as successful.

My twopenneth :-

Listening to MJ before and after the match he suggested that FGR have a certain style of play and it seemed he set us up to combat that and for most of the game it worked.

I disagree about your opinion of the way FGR played, acccording to some of their fans the were "turgid" and I agree for 45 minutes they were terrible it was only after half time that they looked to get forward a bit quicker with their substitutions, it was a shame that poor defending by not closing them down then a dreadful error by Waterfall gifted them that free shot on goal. Other than that effort they never really looked like scoring.

As for us, we obviously worked hard to defend their style of play and as I mentioned it just about worked but I agree with you, as for us scoring a goal we are obviously going to rely on the long ball and crosses into the opposition's penalty area to get a knock down off Hanson.

I also agree about Clifton's performance I thought he struggled to make any impact on the game. As for Green I do like his running and the effort he puts in but so far he doesn't look like he will get that many goals, I hope he proves me wrong and that he starts on Tuesday.

I also think you are right about Ogbu, no where near as effective as he was against Doncaster, only time will tell.

So far I don't think we have been outplayed this season but I worry where the creativity and goals will come from.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
forza ivano
August 18, 2019, 12:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
I think goals will come Harry but I don't think they are going to be things of beauty! Jolley seems to have had an epiphany over the last 3 months. Was this idealist hel l bent on 3-5-2 come hel l or high water ,now he's been transformed into a calmer version of Cowley, big centre forwards, long throws, percentage football,  physicality and the rest that comes with it.not the old fashioned grimsby way but after all these of shiite seems a bit churlish to be critical when and if the new way wins matches.
Ps on Clifton one of the lads yesterday made an interesting point in that he looked good in last year's v.average midfield but doesn't look as good when surrounded by better player's. Got to remember he's young and been injured , but just maybe he's not quite as good as we hoped
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
TownSNAFU5
August 18, 2019, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We need more creativity at our level.  Ironic that we “lost” Osborne, who scored again for Solihull as they remain top of the NL pyramid.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
arryarryarry
August 18, 2019, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from forza ivano
I think goals will come Harry but I don't think they are going to be things of beauty! Jolley seems to have had an epiphany over the last 3 months. Was this idealist hel l bent on 3-5-2 come hel l or high water ,now he's been transformed into a calmer version of Cowley, big centre forwards, long throws, percentage football,  physicality and the rest that comes with it.not the old fashioned grimsby way but after all these of shiite seems a bit churlish to be critical when and if the new way wins matches.
Ps on Clifton one of the lads yesterday made an interesting point in that he looked good in last year's v.average midfield but doesn't look as good when surrounded by better player's. Got to remember he's young and been injured , but just maybe he's not quite as good as we hoped

I agree that we look to be set up to play with a certain style i.e. get the ball foward and high balls into the opponents area, I do wonder if we should have looked for a Podge type player for the knock downs.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
August 18, 2019, 4:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Some FGR fans on their site suggested we were playing like Lincoln, if only we could be as successful.

My twopenneth :-

Listening to MJ before and after the match he suggested that FGR have a certain style of play and it seemed he set us up to combat that and for most of the game it worked.

I disagree about your opinion of the way FGR played, acccording to some of their fans the were "turgid" and I agree for 45 minutes they were terrible it was only after half time that they looked to get forward a bit quicker with their substitutions, it was a shame that poor defending by not closing them down then a dreadful error by Waterfall gifted them that free shot on goal. Other than that effort they never really looked like scoring.

As for us, we obviously worked hard to defend their style of play and as I mentioned it just about worked but I agree with you, as for us scoring a goal we are obviously going to rely on the long ball and crosses into the opposition's penalty area to get a knock down off Hanson.

I also agree about Clifton's performance I thought he struggled to make any impact on the game. As for Green I do like his running and the effort he puts in but so far he doesn't look like he will get that many goals, I hope he proves me wrong and that he starts on Tuesday.

I also think you are right about Ogbu, no where near as effective as he was against Doncaster, only time will tell.

So far I don't think we have been outplayed this season but I worry where the creativity and goals will come from.

Ir was NOT a dreadful error by Waterfall, he stretched to intercept the ball which was going straight to one of their players who would have been through on goal, if you have played football then you will know that when stretching like that you cannot control where the ball goes.
Reply: 16 - 21
moosey_club
August 18, 2019, 8:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Croxton
We failed to stop FGR 's keeper playing the Beckanbauer role. He enabled their wing backs to be advanced which tied up Green and Ogbu. Wright or a fit? Vernam could have played in advance of Hanson to disrupt their leisurely faffing around at the back. Jolley just let it happen til it was too late. Played it like a pre season game.

Locals here wondered why we didn't sing 'we urinate on your fish
'!

i hope the answer was..... "because you're vegans and you dont eat fish... numbnuts"

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
moosey_club
August 18, 2019, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
The main thing I took from the match was, I am glad town do not play football like FGR. No wonder they get small no vocal crowds. I would not buy a ticket to watch that every week.
I has been said we did not let them play, but all the passing across their defence even when they did have options to go forward I do not think they wanted to play football.

i would think any neutral would think,  i wouldnt watch either of them every week. It really was an awful watch.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
chaos33
August 18, 2019, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from forza ivano

Look at the goal we scored against Doncaster though.
Midfield turn over, break with pace, incisive one-two, great return, great finish.
If Jolley is smart (and he is) he’ll get us to mix it but play with pragmatism and stats evidence. Facts are that most goals arise from crosses and set pieces. I think we are a quality centre mid short but then who isn’t..?!?!

I’m gonna wait a bit because I think the balance is nearly right for what we’ve got and we could do alright.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.