Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Total failure by Jolley to strengthen Midfield
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 425 Guests

Total failure by Jolley to strengthen Midfield

This thread currently has 11,946 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
August 18, 2019, 11:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Hoping, at some point, to see Hewitt in centre mid in what he says is his preferred position. Probably Harry dropping out.

We've already seen it against doncaster and whilst he wasn't poor I would say he was fairly anonymous, doesn't have the engine and positivity of clifton or the interception abilities of hess. Maybe Hewitt can do better than that game but he would have to show it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
ginnywings
August 18, 2019, 11:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from The Boys Paddock

the point you quote is absolute balderdash, Hanson has scored goals, do you think all of them where from inside his own half, or he made them himself. We dont score goals, because we dont create enough chances, it really is that simple. Joleey needs to sort this and sort it now..the football is middle of the road garbage, and its about time that he realised it. Same garbage, same season.

Well, it's an opinion, but if you want to call it absolute bollox, then fire away. Facts are facts, and we created more chances than they did, so your argument falls down there somewhat.

Most League 2 football is middle of the road garbage, and the teams that succeed at this level, are the ones who win the most duels and second balls, not the teams who play one touch, flowing football. It's more about speed, strength and stamina than it is about guile. We could just as easily come away from there with a 1-0 win, but we didn't take any of our chances and they did.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
Posh Harry
August 18, 2019, 1:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35
My note to self worked.

I didn’t bite this time 😇
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
Northbank Mariner
August 18, 2019, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Posh Harry
My note to self worked.

I didn’t bite this time 😇

I wish I'd listened to my own advice, the troll sucked me in on this one😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 18, 2019, 2:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
[img]https://imgshare.io/image/ZWDa8[/img]

Oversimplified but 15 shots away compared to their 10 says we created plenty of opportunity. An off day from Hanson when he should have scored a few times nothing to do with the midfields lack of creativity.

Exactly. But we need to get at least one goal a game to be in with a chance of being at the top end of this league.  We have 3 strikers up there and whatever Hurst thinks about strikers, that is their job description after all. The chances were there. Not taken.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
Gaffer58
August 18, 2019, 3:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Just watching the Sheffield v Palace game and although they are trying to play Man City style I would argue that there isn't a midfielder on show who is putting defence splitting passes through or is controlling the pace and flow of the game, in fact it's quite frantic. I think we have all seen Barcelona and believe any professional footballer can do what they do, I'm sorry but hey are basically the exception to the rule. At the end of the day if we keep picking up points and are somewhere near the playoffs then I think honk we would all be quite happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
KingstonMariner
August 18, 2019, 7:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Exactly. But we need to get at least one goal a game to be in with a chance of being at the top end of this league.  We have 3 strikers up there and whatever Hurst thinks about strikers, that is their job description after all. The chances were there. Not taken.

Hurst? I know Jolley is from Yorkshire but they don’t all look the same you know! 😄

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
MarinerDevil
August 18, 2019, 8:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80

Looks like the last few seasons' play-off teams have averaged between 1.3 and 1.5 goals per game, to give you an idea.  Champions usually get closer to 2pg.  

We have a higher than average expected goals statistic so far which suggests we're creating good quality chances.  I think the issue is that because our midfielders are extremely similar players, we can't readily change our approach mid-game.  We need a player that we can rely on to unlock doors when our usual route fails.  It's a real shame Osborne didn't work out.  Hopefully we can use Wright's pace and directness well during the season to give us a different angle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
Mariner Timsky
August 18, 2019, 9:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
What an absolute pathetic thread this one is!

We created chances yesterday - unfortunately we didn’t do that one thing that they did and that’s put the ball in the back of the net!

We made things happen and we threatened in fact we had more chances than they did -

If we had come away with a 1-0 win would this thread even exist?? Simple answer - No

Get a grip! It’s League 2 (Div 4) we have a decent hard working side - this weekend they failed to score - it happens - let’s not be creating such ridiculous threads every time it does happen

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
chaos33
August 18, 2019, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Bang on, although really this thread only exists as a bunch of responses to one plainly dramatic over reaction from one person. It’s not as if there are already a bunch of doom mongers really. That, in itself, is also an overreaction.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Total failure by Jolley to strengthen Midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.