3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Oly1987
August 17, 2019, 1:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Just read bbc sports coverage of us signing Waterfall and he said he wants Grimsby to be making the playoffs and that Green and Whitehouse have the same idea. Good to see some ambition from the players in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Kris2
August 17, 2019, 2:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Be a bit excrement if he said in his interview "Yeah, if we hit mid-table and avoid relegation that'll be a good season".  

It's nice to have a decent soundbite to get the fans excited about a new signing but it's still early days in the season. It's easy to make wild predictions of what we can do in the season when the season has just begun, it'll feel different on a freezing cold night at the end of January when we are losing 0:2 to Crawley or whoever and the ref just seems to give them a free kick every time one of their players falls to the floor.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Rik e B
August 17, 2019, 7:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I've heard some horrendous player's from horrendous Town sides over the years give out such soundbites. The talking needs to be done on the pitch, though this is no sleight against Waterfall or the current bunch.

At least this group try hard with heart and determination, so win lose or draw so long as they leave it all on the pitch I'll give them some leeway should we struggle for form at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Rick12
August 17, 2019, 8:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Oly1987
Just read bbc sports coverage of us signing Waterfall and he said he wants Grimsby to be making the playoffs and that Green and Whitehouse have the same idea. Good to see some ambition from the players in the squad.
It is but ultimately football is decided by money.If players are any good they will be in the premiership and not playing for us .Having said that its nice to see ambition shown by Luke Waterfall.Hence he wants to maximise his ability.

At the end of the day no matter where Grimsby will be in 10-15 or more years be it league  or non league I will always support them.Hence we cant all be at the top eg like a club like Real Madrid hence variety is life as without it life wouldn't continue.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
fishboyUTM
August 17, 2019, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Target the top three. That's reasonable for a club of our size in division 4, we shouldn't allow John Fenty's disasterous reign to dampen our ambitions. We should be doing better, a lot better. We've had a good start, that's all. Just a start but there are signs of togetherness on the pitch. That will be tested when we go a goal down, we came back roaring against Bradford, I'm not sure last seasons team would have. Target promotion. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
NorthseaMariner
August 17, 2019, 9:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
On the contrary, I think last seasons team came back frequently, the team the season before is a different case though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Mighty_Mariner
August 17, 2019, 9:52am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Rick12
It is but ultimately football is decided by money.If players are any good they will be in the premiership and not playing for us .Having said that its nice to see ambition shown by Luke Waterfall.Hence he wants to maximise his ability.

At the end of the day no matter where Grimsby will be in 10-15 or more years be it league  or non league I will always support them.Hence we cant all be at the top eg like a club like Real Madrid hence variety is life as without it life wouldn't continue.

I'm guessing 'hence' was on your 'word do the day' toilet roll 😉

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
HertsGTFC
August 17, 2019, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,632
Gold Stars: 217
I think In reality there are 10-12 teams in our league who may not have such a long history but arguably are bigger clubs or more importantly have more resource to draw on than ourselves so if we made the play offs than that would be a decent accomplishment to be honest.

If anyone is “expecting” us to do it then I’m note sure what that expectation is based upon. Mid table finish this season and I’ll stick by that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
moosey_club
August 17, 2019, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think In reality there are 10-12 teams in our league who may not have such a long history but arguably are bigger clubs or more importantly have more resource to draw on than ourselves so if we made the play offs than that would be a decent accomplishment to be honest.

If anyone is “expecting” us to do it then I’m note sure what that expectation is based upon. Mid table finish this season and I’ll stick by that.

bigger...more resources....not always key at this level....the odd stella signing can help a side undoubtedly but they soon become targets for either the hatchet men or a call from a team higher up the pyramid and dont always work out, Notts County for instance.  
Having a settled side, thats well organised, well drilled and ,as much as i hate the thought of playing for this but , having a very good set piece play book can make all the difference.
For quite a few seasons we have looked more likely to concede a goal from one of our own corners or set pieces than we have of scoring ourselves, sh1t delivery easily collected and counter attack sprung.
The promising thing so far is that we certainly seem to have worked on the set pieces this season and look much more dangerous with them now.
Early days but the changes made in squad, formation and approach looked to have made us a stronger side with some valuable experience for sure.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Abdul19
August 17, 2019, 10:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
On the contrary, I think last seasons team came back frequently, the team the season before is a different case though.

6 points from losing positions last season, 9 the season before, surprisingly.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › playoff ambitions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.