jamesgtfc
August 16, 2019, 10:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I assume 09 on your name is the year you was born?

If you think M.Rose, Hooper, Woolford & Collins are some of the worst players in living memory, you must be very young.

I'm 26 and I've witnessed 10x worse than them 4... them 4 actually put the effort in to be fair to them

I'm 29 and depending on when you started watching, you might get remember the dizzy heights of Division 1 like me. Memories of regular home games against Man City, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester City, Portsmouth etc.

Some players in 03/04 and 09/10 were certainly far worse than those 4. At any level a lack of effort is unforgivable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
Son of Cod
August 16, 2019, 11:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

If you think M.Rose, Hooper, Woolford & Collins are some of the worst players in living memory, you must be very young.

I'm 26 and I've witnessed 10x worse than them 4... them 4 actually put the effort in to be fair to them

Last season's team at least put a shift in most of the time. The team that went down and the few seasons before that were disgraceful. Dean Sinclair, Michael Leary, Joe Widdowson, Peter Sweeney, Paul Linwood, Matt Heywood...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
Mariner_09
August 16, 2019, 1:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

M Rose, Whitmore, Dixon and JJ are up there for me in terms of worst ever.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
mariner91
August 16, 2019, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,542
Gold Stars: 258
Quoted from Mariner_09

M Rose, Whitmore, Dixon and JJ are up there for me in terms of worst ever.

They're not even close to being the worst ever.

JJ wasn't quite up to league football but still showed evidence of talent. Just from the squad the season we went down there are seven strikers worse than him: Tommy Wright, Adrian Forbes, Lee Peacock, Wes Fletcher, Chris Jones, Adam Proudlock, Nathan Jarman. I've not included Conlon because he did score goals for us whilst on loan but he is an enormous twat so gets an honourable mention. Even the season after there were plenty of strikers who were than JJ such as Charles Ademeno and Tom Corner.

I'm really not sure what Whitmore did wrong because frankly at times there wasn't much between him and Davis and Davis certainly isn't a bad player. Linwood, Hope and Heywood are our worst centre backs ever (in the 21 years I've been going) by some distance and I think it's incredibly harsh to even say Whitmore was bad. He wasn't brilliant but he wasn't bad either.

Rose also wasn't brilliant but he wasn't the worst ever. I'd take Rose any day over the likes of Michael Leary, Mickey Cummins, Dean Sinclair, Mark Hudson, Andi Thanoj and many other forgettable central midfielders we had between 2008 and 2012.

Dixon was pretty poor admittedly but he wasn't as bad as Lee Ridley and there have been others who were worse such as Jamal Fyfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
Saudimariner
August 16, 2019, 2:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
My expectations are great.

That's given me the Pip! (little Dickensian joke there - I'll get me coat)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
Mariner_09
August 16, 2019, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from mariner91

JJ wasn't quite up to league football but still showed evidence of talent. Just from the squad the season we went down there are seven strikers worse than him: Tommy Wright, Adrian Forbes, Lee Peacock, Wes Fletcher, Chris Jones, Adam Proudlock, Nathan Jarman. I've not included Conlon because he did score goals for us whilst on loan but he is an enormous twat so gets an honourable mention. Even the season after there were plenty of strikers who were than JJ such as Charles Ademeno and Tom Corner.

I'm really not sure what Whitmore did wrong because frankly at times there wasn't much between him and Davis and Davis certainly isn't a bad player. Linwood, Hope and Heywood are our worst centre backs ever (in the 21 years I've been going) by some distance and I think it's incredibly harsh to even say Whitmore was bad. He wasn't brilliant but he wasn't bad either.

Rose also wasn't brilliant but he wasn't the worst ever. I'd take Rose any day over the likes of Michael Leary, Mickey Cummins, Dean Sinclair, Mark Hudson, Andi Thanoj and many other forgettable central midfielders we had between 2008 and 2012.

Dixon was pretty poor admittedly but he wasn't as bad as Lee Ridley and there have been others who were worse such as Jamal Fyfield.

Come to mention it, I’d forgotten some of those players and I have been harsh on some. Dixon is still up there for me.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Jarmo.Is.God
August 19, 2019, 9:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from mariner91

This post was so close to being perfect...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
horsforthmariner
August 19, 2019, 11:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,580
Gold Stars: 9
JJ was a decent non league striker - don't you remember Rob Duffy? - i'd take JJ over him any day of the week. Mitch Rose was an ok league 2 midfielder, better than what we had when we were relegated. plus the best penalty taker I've ever seen at club. Woolford, was technically very good but was a year or two to old and Collins was brilliant until the final season, which was just one season too many. I'd take all 4 over any of the dross that got us relegated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
jamesgtfc
August 19, 2019, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from horsforthmariner
JJ was a decent non league striker - don't you remember Rob Duffy? - i'd take JJ over him any day of the week. Mitch Rose was an ok league 2 midfielder, better than what we had when we were relegated. plus the best penalty taker I've ever seen at club. Woolford, was technically very good but was a year or two to old and Collins was brilliant until the final season, which was just one season too many. I'd take all 4 over any of the dross that got us relegated.

Mitch Rose is what he is, a lower League 2 player at best. No coincidence that he's been at the bottom end of League 2 the last 3 seasons with Newport, us and County. Flynn overhauled that squad and don't recall him fighting to keep Rose.

Saw County v Stockport last week and he slipped on the ball in possession on the half way line in the last minute. He was great at Palace but is prone to lapses in concentration at the wrong times. Countless times, he took too many touches on the edge of the box. Can't fault his endeavour, penalty taking or throwing ability though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2019, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91

God I still have nightmares of Hopeless and Deadwood, I remember at a Vale away match Hopeless ducking out of the way of a easy header under no pressure as the ball came floating in (not like it was rifled in and would take his head off if he'd headed it) just because he didn't want to head it

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.