5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
August 15, 2019, 9:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
We had mahoosive squads under Slade and Newell and were utter cac.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
psgmariner
August 15, 2019, 9:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We’ve beaten morecambe (the favourites to go down) and drawn with Bradford (who look a shambles and started terribly with growing calls for the manager to go). On the face of it a solid if unspectacular start but I was very impressed by the Bradford performance and the cup squad beating Donny is another bonus I wasn’t expecting. Like you i am becoming more optimistic with each game.

If we get spanked by FGR (a decent team and a tougher test than Bradford) it will still be a good start to the season.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
Stew0_0
August 15, 2019, 10:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Can definitely see an improvement and top half finish this season. What worries me at present is the lack of depth to the squad. We need at least 2/3 players in before the window closes as a couple of injuries and we are threadbare.
Also we are quite dependent on keeping Hanson fit as he is integral to how we play, if he has a spell on the sidelines then that could affect us too.
Overall happy with the start and our squad this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
jamesgtfc
August 15, 2019, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Son of Cod

In terms of teams tipped to be going for promotion/playoffs, then both I think. I'm not claiming to be a League 2 expert or anything either, so happy to be proven wrong. I just look at the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Exeter, Colchester, etc. and they look to bigger squads with better options. I completely agree that we shouldn't be just bringing in journeymen and bodies for the sake of it though. I just always think an 18/19/20 man squad is a big risk. I think Lincoln were really lucky to go up as champions having hardly had any big injuries, for example.

Lincoln have been very lucky. They have had a big budget but rather than pad the squad out, they have opted for quality over quantity. The Cowley's like a small squad as you have less unhappy players.  I get the logic with that but you only have to look at Whitehouse last year. If his injury occurred in September our midfield would have been depleted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
marinerdazza
August 15, 2019, 10:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,775
Gold Stars: 81
Our relegation odds have lengthened.

Enjoying the optimism. A point at FGR will be a good result. But I'd still be happy with a mid/top half finish and some cup exploits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
pen penfras
August 15, 2019, 10:28am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Son of Cod

In terms of teams tipped to be going for promotion/playoffs, then both I think. I'm not claiming to be a League 2 expert or anything either, so happy to be proven wrong. I just look at the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Exeter, Colchester, etc. and they look to bigger squads with better options. I completely agree that we shouldn't be just bringing in journeymen and bodies for the sake of it though. I just always think an 18/19/20 man squad is a big risk. I think Lincoln were really lucky to go up as champions having hardly had any big injuries, for example.

I agree that we are probably a little short in numbers, but one thing that I was very happy about against Bradford was the strength of our bench. I doubt many teams have as much quality as Cook, Vernam and Ogbu to bring on, could probably add Ring and Wright to that too, although they've got a little more to prove.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
Mallyner
August 15, 2019, 11:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
I didn't have such Great Expectations, but what the Dickens is happening?

Let us hope we keep it up.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
Son of Cod
August 15, 2019, 11:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pen penfras

I agree that we are probably a little short in numbers, but one thing that I was very happy about against Bradford was the strength of our bench. I doubt many teams have as much quality as Cook, Vernam and Ogbu to bring on, could probably add Ring and Wright to that too, although they've got a little more to prove.

Yeah, Cook and Vernam suddenly seem like very decent options off the bench as opposed to being the ones with pressure on them to score goals every week. I'm hoping at least one of them will settle down, kick on and become a bit of a supersub for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
Maringer
August 15, 2019, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Stew0_0
Can definitely see an improvement and top half finish this season. What worries me at present is the lack of depth to the squad. We need at least 2/3 players in before the window closes as a couple of injuries and we are threadbare.
Also we are quite dependent on keeping Hanson fit as he is integral to how we play, if he has a spell on the sidelines then that could affect us too.
Overall happy with the start and our squad this season.

I was also quite concerned about how reliant we might be on Hanson. However, I think Ogbu did well enough leading the line in a weakened team the other night and Green is quite physical as well. If Hanson is out on occasion, I think those two together could certainly give us a foothold up front.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
Mariner Timsky
August 15, 2019, 12:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Let’s not forget the superstar Harry Cardwell

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.