This thread currently has 8,761 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
August 14, 2019, 12:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Carry on like this I'll be ripping up my expectations and rewriting them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
OllieGTFC
August 14, 2019, 9:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
If I was honest before start of the season I would of settled for high mid table finish but watching the last few performances yes 3 games in but I think we have a real shot at play offs, if we can do better than that then absolute bonus UTM !!

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
cmackenzie4
August 14, 2019, 9:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I think the FGR game will be a good yardstick to see were we are at, I believe with a bit of luck and no/minor injuries we’ll be in the playoffs, the team spirit we have will help massively, other teams who have been promoted years gone by haven’t always been the best footballing side (Lincoln/Accrington etc) but with these sides the fans have been on board and the team spirit has got them promoted, a long way to go yet but I think this will be a great season for us, boy do we need one!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
lukeo
August 14, 2019, 9:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Top half finish expected... Promotion would be lovely😁 50/1 to win the league and 1/4 of that on promotion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 43
Son of Cod
August 14, 2019, 10:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Long way to go. I said I'd take a comfortable mid-table season with a possible top ten finish and I'm sticking to that. So many of the squads in League 2 have a lot more depth than we do. The early signs are promising though. Will be interesting to see if we can bounce back from a defeat or are we going to have these winning streaks and losing slumps again that have been so prevalent since Jolley came in?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
IlkleyMariner
August 14, 2019, 11:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
We cannot criticise the battling performance last night against a team hoping for promotion last season.
Was particularly impressed with imaginative free kicks as plays looked to surprise the opposition.
Also plenty of movement from our players which was good to see.
On another day Donny would probably have nicked it because of their superior possession, particularly around our penalty area, but am very happy to get the win.
Well done to Cook for making and taking the goal. He looked much quicker than I remember him last season.
Bring on Macclesfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
mariner83
August 14, 2019, 12:09pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Trying not to get carried away, I want to see where we're at 10 games in.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 43
SomeSanity
August 14, 2019, 12:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
the only thing I expect is that they give 100% every game. Like Mariner83 said, lets see where we are 10 games in. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
The Yard Dog
August 14, 2019, 12:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Son of Cod
Long way to go. I said I'd take a comfortable mid-table season with a possible top ten finish and I'm sticking to that.[/b] So many of the squads in League 2 have a lot more depth than we do.[b] The early signs are promising though. Will be interesting to see if we can bounce back from a defeat or are we going to have these winning streaks and losing slumps again that have been so prevalent since Jolley came in?

When you say  "more depth", is that quality in depth or just bigger squads. I much rather have a smaller squad, with quality, rather than just journeymen making up the numbers.
Last season we were short of goals, MJ has addressed that hopefully, with the signing of Hanson & Green. MJ has until 2nd September to bring in 2 or 3 additional players, maybe a couple of loanees for cover as well.
MJ has added more quality with this seasons singning, with a blend of youth players, being given the opportunity to progress into the first team.

Last nignt MJ make 7 changes to the starting line-up from Saturday's team, 2 forced by injuries, but still held its own and won against a league one team, which will probably in the top half of the table.

Biggest is not always best.

In the short time this season, I have seen a big difference in the team, so far.

I am confident that MJ is doing all he can to improve the squad.  MJ is working progress, which is going in the right direction.

A happy mariner, UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
Son of Cod
August 15, 2019, 9:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from The Yard Dog

When you say  "more depth", is that quality in depth or just bigger squads. I much rather have a smaller squad, with quality, rather than just journeymen making up the numbers.

In terms of teams tipped to be going for promotion/playoffs, then both I think. I'm not claiming to be a League 2 expert or anything either, so happy to be proven wrong. I just look at the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Exeter, Colchester, etc. and they look to bigger squads with better options. I completely agree that we shouldn't be just bringing in journeymen and bodies for the sake of it though. I just always think an 18/19/20 man squad is a big risk. I think Lincoln were really lucky to go up as champions having hardly had any big injuries, for example.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.