Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Doncaster)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 131 Guests

Just Back (Doncaster)

This thread currently has 7,896 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
August 13, 2019, 10:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Where's Ginny when you want him.

OK....I'm no good at doing in depth analysis but...

First half we were a bit under the cosh and Macca kept us in it, great goal for us against the run of play towards the end of the half  

Second half we actually played a lot better which surprised me considering the opposition.

I dont know what Jolley said to them at half-time but that team togetherness mentioned on a previous thread on here shone through tonight.

Pleased I made the effort to go tonight  UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
August 13, 2019, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Once again, like Saturdays game thats the sort of game we would of thrown away last season. It just shows what improvements Jolley has made coming into this season, both on and off the pitch

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
mimma
August 13, 2019, 11:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Just back... from the pub!

Enjoyed it again tonight. They had a lot of the ball, played lovely football, but got nowhere with it. They looked dangerous, but weren't. We defended all over the pitch, put some good moves of ourselves. Macca made his usual worldly just after we scored. The goal itself was all about Cook. He won the ball halfway in our half and drove at their defence, played it out wide to Ogbu. He played it back to Cook on the edge of the box and beat the keeper. Everyone put in a shift. Ogbu is going to be a Town cult hero. He is so unpredictable, but also skill full with it. He is a joy to watch. The defence played really well, Wright in midfield was all over the place as was all the others. All in all, we played really well against a good footballing side. Bring on FGR next Saturday.

UTM

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
FishOutOfWater
August 14, 2019, 12:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
100 mile + round trip. £15-00
2 tickets £34-00
Fish & chips twice £10-00

Beating Donny..... Priceless

So after some deliberating about the cost and then seeing our team selection, I was questioning my sanity ( the bit I still have that is after following Town all these years )

But leaving Blundell Park on a high after seeing off opposition from the league above, has given me just the boost I need to see me through the rest of the week

I even cheered when we got Macclesfield at home in the draw... not the most inspiring of ties, but winnable and on the basis of our recent resilience, we should have enough to put this bogey side to the sword in a couple of weeks time

Onwards & upwards we go!

UTM GTID ATAW 🏁
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 26
1mickylyons
August 14, 2019, 6:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Really enjoyed the game Town seemed to try and play a bit more football and Pollock and Wright were both fantastic but MOTM James Mckeown thanks to a stunning reflex save . We look to have a far better squad than for a long time and we also look hard to beat FGR next up is a proper test but win,lose or draw I predict we are gonna do alright this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
ginnywings
August 14, 2019, 8:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from promotion plaice

Where's Ginny when you want him.

OK....I'm no good at doing in depth analysis but...

First half we were a bit under the cosh and Macca kept us in it, great goal for us against the run of play towards the end of the half  

Second half we actually played a lot better which surprised me considering the opposition.

I dont know what Jolley said to them at half-time but that team togetherness mentioned on a previous thread on here shone through tonight.

Pleased I made the effort to go tonight  UTM

Still lurking but not been to a game yet this season. Other stuff taking priority at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
toontown
August 14, 2019, 8:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from mimma
Just back... from the pub!

. Ogbu is going to be a Town cult hero. He is so unpredictable, but also skill full with it. He is a joy to watch.

I would say he is frustrating to watch. He uses his strength well and can have great close control (altho not always) but then he will sometimes fall over the ball or something like that. His decision making is certainly suspect too. That said he is obviously a very awkward player to defend against, they won't have come up against too many like him! I would say we are likely to have people moaning about him as often as praising him.
Great to have him as an option tho
I would say he can do a job in the middle of a front 3 but Hansen is going to be  better and more consistent in that role
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
RichMariner
August 14, 2019, 8:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Seems to me that Ogbu is the sort of player that will get the support of the fans in a good team that’s performing well, but in a team that’s scrapping against relegation he’d probably get hammered!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
diehardmariner
August 14, 2019, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 518
Really enjoyed it again, don't want to get too excited but it feels like this could be a good season for us!

Saw a fair few comments about the price of a ticket in relation to the side selected and I do get it, whichever way you dress it up we went out with our second string with the exception of in goal and Davis in the absence of anyone else fit in that position.  

I can't imagine we'll start many games with a midfield trio of Hewitt, Ring and Cook!

McKeown made his usual world class saves at various points of the game and you can argue that without him....however that's what he's there for.  Pollock grew into the game after a shakyish first ten minutes whilst Davis looks a different player from last season.   Jury still out on Gibson for me but he needs time to settle and get match fitness. Hendrie was just Hendrie, ultra-dependable.  In the middle I'm not overly keen on Hewitt in that role and whilst Ring buzzed about he looked a bit lost, understandably.   As per Gibson, jury still out on him.  I thought Cook was excellent and has probably given Jolley another option in the midfield area, should he feel that in games he needs someone a little bit more attack minded.  Bonus is that with him in there you wouldn't see a significant drop in the energy levels either.   Took his goal excellently.

Up top Ogbu did his usual excite-frustrate-excite which we're just going to have to get used to.  He doesn't look particularly physical but a few occasions where the Donny defenders just bounced off him.  I'm not even sure he or Jolley know what his best position is but he was absolutely fine in that central role.  He won't use the ball like Hanson does there, nor win many headers but he does hold the ball up very well.  Thing I do like about is that he tries to play it as well, few times when the ball fell for him when defending a corner and he looked for the quick pass rather than just hammering it away - only time will tell if that catches us out at times.   Vernam impressed me and his turn of pace and quick feet give us another alternative in attack, same for Wright who had one of those games where it was just the bounce or run of the ball that didn't go for him.  On another day he could have been away a few times, couldn't fault his effort though.  In fact couldn't fault anyone's effort which is really pleasing.  When you look at the attacking options we've got, it's embarrassing really to compare it to the previous 2/3 seasons.

When Green and Hessenthaler came on it showed how we've matured as a side, some clever use of the ball to run the clock down and kill things off.

As per the Bradford game I thought the significant factor was that we looked like we wanted it more, that simple.

3 games - 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 clean sheets and only a single goal conceded.  Can't argue with that.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2019, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Great to hear reports of us wanting it more for the last 2 games. FGR on Saturday which will be a good test for us. Last season we played 3-5-2 in both games against them and they were just much better at playing it. If we can keep this momentum going it would be great.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Doncaster)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.