2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
TheultimateMariner
August 11, 2019, 8:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this, but the togetherness of the team this year seems to be phenomenal! I've watched highlights of the National League (courtesy of BT Sports) and watched the highlights from other league 1 & 2 teams, and I can't see many of them that seem to have the drive and fight to play for their club, all the while actually playing as a team, while covering each others backs! I think it's great to see, and I hope it can bring us some long awaited good fortune. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Fishy_fishtails
August 11, 2019, 8:49pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this, but the togetherness of the team this year seems to be phenomenal! I've watched highlights of the National League (courtesy of BT Sports) and watched the highlights from other league 1 & 2 teams, and I can't see many of them that seem to have the drive and fight to play for their club, all the while actually playing as a team, while covering each others backs! I think it's great to see, and I hope it can bring us some long awaited good fortune. UTM

I said the same yesterday, been a long time since we have seen a team play and not just 11 players. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
chicaneuk
August 11, 2019, 9:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Part of what made Jolley attractive as a manager, to me, is that it seemed like he really wanted to foster this exact kind of environment amongst his players.. and why, last season when results were not going our way, I was still extremely keen to hang onto him as I reasoned it was still a work in progress.

I don't want to get ahead of myself as we're two games in to the season, but I'm really confident that some of the groundwork he laid last season will start to pay off into this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 11, 2019, 10:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,789
Gold Stars: 178
Agree with the o p
Watching the lg2 highlights there seems to be a great connection within the team

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
KingstonMariner
August 11, 2019, 10:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
One of the things I will always credit Hurst with doing, is creating that kind of spirit.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
jamesgtfc
August 11, 2019, 11:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,939
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from KingstonMariner
One of the things I will always credit Hurst with doing, is creating that kind of spirit.

Wonder how well Hurst can handle the opposite spirit to that down the road?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
rancido
August 12, 2019, 7:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,518
Gold Stars: 96
My friend , who hadn't been to BP for 2 years, went on Saturday and that was the first thing he mentioned after the match. He got the impression there was a great team spirit and he also thought that there was just the right blend of young players and experienced old hands.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Rik e B
August 12, 2019, 8:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
That was one of the big things I liked about Hurst, his insistence on bringing in the right kind of character. I was absolutely appalled all that was ripped up by the time time we got to Slade and his return to the journeymen type who had been a massive contributing factor to our fall from grace.

So happy to see Jolley redress this factor and yes, one of the reasons I and many wanted to give him more time and a bit more leeway than usually would be the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Son of Cod
August 12, 2019, 11:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
It came through in the recent Q&A session too. I was one of those in the not sure camp regarding Macca as captain, but seeing the way he was with Max Wright and him justifying it by saying that a captain is more than just the 90 mins on a Saturday has changed my mind. Limbrick and Jolley seem like a good fit too, which could have been a disaster with them never having worked together before. The one thing Jolley has over Hurst regarding this too is the fact that he doesn't appear to have any kind of disdain towards the fans, which makes him infinitely more likeable. Hopefully this is earning them all the patience they deserve from the fans as a collective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Rik e B
August 12, 2019, 11:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yes that riled me over Hurst, yeah there plenty of naysayers, know-it-alls and haters - perhaps more than at other clubs, but there were also plenty (the silent majority for the most part?) who wholeheartedly were behind him. Yet he seemed to repeatedly tar us all with the same brush.

In comparison Jolley accepts there will be people getting angry and speaking ill of him, especially should results take a downturn, but he doesn't take it personally and hold a long term grudge with it constantly in his mind to try and keep the supporters on side. Even so far as his appearances out in the community, on the till at the ticket office, at hospital beds etc.

Some people say it's a bit gimmicky and it's all about results and performances on the pitch and of course they right in that regard, but I believe all this has been done off his own back not because of being told to by the Club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
RichMariner
August 12, 2019, 1:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209
Well, as I said on another thread, the togetherness and team spirit was something my Bradford-supporting friend was particularly jealous of by the time Saturday's game ended.

I think camaraderie can take you a long way at any level — but particularly far at this level, when the difference between teams in terms of skill can be very little.

Also, it's something the fans want to see. Players running through brick walls. Ohman putting his head in where it hurts. All that stuff. A few local lads thrown into the mix... Jolley always has been a work in progress and a true 'project' so I hope it all comes to fruition for him and the rest of us.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Les Brechin
August 12, 2019, 2:55pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from RichMariner
   Players running through brick walls. Ohman putting his head in where it hurts. All that stuff. A few local lads thrown into the mix... Jolley always has been a work in progress and a true 'project' so I hope it all comes to fruition for him and the rest of us.

I think that if you chucked a brick at Ludvig he head it back if he thought it was going in the net.

The lad is fast becoming a cult hero among Town fans,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
promotion plaice
August 12, 2019, 3:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,002
Gold Stars: 192

I thought we played really well on Saturday, Jolley has certainly got a good thing going on here now.

I know it's early days and I/we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves but if we are still in the top seven let's say after about ten games wouldn't that then be the time to offer MJ a longer contract assuming he is on the six month rolling as we are led to believe.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Brazilnut
August 12, 2019, 4:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Love all the positive comments and I agree with them  and really enjoyed Saturday the display the pride in walking out the ground thinking we just out played the potential champions .........but also remember in August last year walking out thinking we was robbed against Lincoln..........we didn't seem to kick on or gain belief from the Lincoln display, lets hope this season we will

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team togetherness

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.