WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 11, 2019, 9:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Mariner_09
I have two slight concerns with the squad as it is. Firstly, our midfield, although all work horses and overflowing with energy legs, maybe lacks that bit of je ne sais crois

Alright del boy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
KingstonMariner
August 11, 2019, 11:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Alright del boy

Mange tout Rodney. Mange tout.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
bigdavemariner
August 11, 2019, 11:26pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
I'd agree with that to be honest. I think the central 3 work well together, but we've got to be careful we don't have 3 players who are too similar. Last year we saw the change in the team thanks to Embo and his ability to turn a game on its head with one piece of quality. I do think if we can keep Vernam fit, his pace and skill will give us some added quality. I really so rate him and think he's going to be a big player for us this year if given a run of games  Hanson leading the attack and Ogbu on the other side, that gives us some real quality. Obviously Rose and Wright  have their part to play who none of us would be unhappy If they were in the starting 11.

I was actually impressed with Clifton and his ability to get forward. He looks like if he's got more freedom to push forward he could create us something through sheer engine. I know Jolley does see that attacking element to his game and wants to encourage it

I said before the game that our squad aside from Gibson and Cardwell were in the match day squad on Saturday. Think a few injuries and suspensions we're too light in numbers.

Think we need a centre half and potentially a utility defender. A creative midfielder/winger and another target man type striker. We don't want to stick to plan A of direct to Hanson every game, but let's be honest, if he goes out injured our forward line loses that height and presence. Be good to have someone to push him and have cover.

Quoted from Mariner_09
I have two slight concerns with the squad as it is. Firstly, our midfield, although all work horses and overflowing with energy legs, maybe lacks that bit of je ne sais crois, a bit of creativity and guile. We’ll never get overrun or out worked in there and against better sides we may thrive given I see few sides being as fit, quick and enthusiastic as us. It was noticeable how we didn’t tire or drop deep yesterday. However, when sides eventually work us out, which they will I think we need some more variation in our attack. We’ll score oodles of goals from set plays and crosses in for Hanson and Green to feed on I think though. The other area is the lack of depth, if Ludwig’s concussed, and he doesn’t sign anyone, it’s Matty Pollock on Tuesday and if one of our midfielders gets injured, you’re looking at playing Ring as Hewitt will move into midfield I guess. The squad needs another centre half (begging for Luke Waterfall) and another creative central midfielder. Jolley’s clearly identified that if you’re quicker, fitter and bigger than the opposition in this league (because of a lack of quality) you can cause all sorts of problems with set pieces and balls into the box. Waterfall would add further to this because he’d add to aerial dominance in both boxes and that’s where it counts. Last season we were often very pretty and got into decent positions but never had the quality to fashion opportunities or finish them. This season we seem to have a different style which suits the players better.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
diehardmariner
August 12, 2019, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
No argument on needing another centre-back.  Ohman will pick up as many suspensions as injuries, just because of how he plays.   Pollock, who I think has a massive future ahead of him, showed when he came on that we have to ease him in.  He looked like a rabbit in headlights, although to his credit he didn't shy away after a couple of errors.   I guess Hendrie showed last year he can do a job at centre-back if needed.

The problem with a creative midfielder is that they don't tend to exist at this level.  From memory the two most creative players I saw last season were Nicky Law and Danny Mayor, both of whom operated from out wide.  I rate both of those players, but I'm not sure I would trust either in a central role.  For all the talk of how we lack an Embleton figure, his return of assists and goals was quite poor last season which begs the question of what's the point?  Is it worth having a truly creative player in the middle if the return isn't that great.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Rik e B
August 12, 2019, 12:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Three battling headstrong engines running amok in the centre to create opportunities through all their hard work and graft instead of the more fancy looking business? It's not as if any of them can't pass.

Good to have different options though I guess.

Like diehard says hard to find a Pirlo at this level, especially one that does the essential graft too. If they did, they'd play higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Son of Cod
August 12, 2019, 1:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from diehardmariner
No argument on needing another centre-back.  Ohman will pick up as many suspensions as injuries, just because of how he plays.   Pollock, who I think has a massive future ahead of him, showed when he came on that we have to ease him in.  He looked like a rabbit in headlights, although to his credit he didn't shy away after a couple of errors.   I guess Hendrie showed last year he can do a job at centre-back if needed.

The problem with a creative midfielder is that they don't tend to exist at this level.  From memory the two most creative players I saw last season were Nicky Law and Danny Mayor, both of whom operated from out wide.  I rate both of those players, but I'm not sure I would trust either in a central role.  For all the talk of how we lack an Embleton figure, his return of assists and goals was quite poor last season which begs the question of what's the point?  Is it worth having a truly creative player in the middle if the return isn't that great.

See, I thought Mayor played out wide for Bury but I've since been corrected by a Bury season ticket holder. He was playing at CM all season, which seems bonkers if you saw them destroy us at Gigg Lane as Mayor was practically hugging the left flank for large portions of that match. He had more of a free role by all accounts but was technically starting at CM every game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
diehardmariner
August 13, 2019, 8:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Fair enough, I based my assumptions on the two games he played against us.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elliott Whitehouse

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.