Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Bradford)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Just Back (Bradford)

This thread currently has 22,466 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
August 10, 2019, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
jonnyboy82
August 10, 2019, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Compared to last season at this stage its a massive improvement, very encouraging and we look solid.

A couple of decent signings and its gonna be a decent season,  the players today put on a real shift and last season we would have lost that game.

Ogbu will take time but i like the look of him.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
RonMariner
August 10, 2019, 5:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Early days yet, but it does sound like we have turned a bit of a corner.

Onwards and upwards!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 10, 2019, 5:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
pleased with the effort today and a little disappointed we never got the 3 points tbh
I thought it was the best performance I have seen at BP in front of a good crowed for years and with a couple of additions I can see us at the right end of the table this season,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
grimsby pete
August 10, 2019, 5:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Just like to add the scunts are bottom of the league.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
Oly1987
August 10, 2019, 5:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
to say we expected a big challenge from Bradford I think we outplayed them for the most part. The only real time we looked in trouble was when we got caught on the break. 19 shots in 1 game shows how much more attacking we are playing. Shame to see Rose go off fairly early but I'll admit I was impressed with Ogbu. Looks a tricky player who can make things happen. His ability to hold up the play or go through players added something to the team. Hanson won nearly every header, Hewitt looked very comfortable down the right flank, Green also played pretty well.

Didnt have come into this game expecting three points but was a little disappointed we didnt bag all three by the end of it. Very encouraging performance against a team touted as promotion favourites.

PS. Didnt think the goal was offside would like to see it again though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
mariner91
August 10, 2019, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Just got back and thoroughly enjoyed today. First half wasn't much between the two teams but thought Town were the better side second half except for the last ten minutes. We look solid, organised, fit and, unlike last season, we look to have a bit of character. I've only seen this game and the game against Peterborough so far this season but in both games we built pressure which is not something a Town team has done in years and it's lovely to see.

McKeown - not much to do but a made a fantastic double save from Scannell.
Hewiit - actually looked pretty good at right back. Some good crosses and dangerous with the long throws.
Davis and Ohman - both looked solid. Hope Ohman's not too injured.
Hendrie - quality player just a shame he hasn't got a left foot as we were less threatening down that side because he had to keep cutting in. I am a big fan of his though.
Clifton - energetic and full of work, he'll only improve. Nearly played a very good ball through for Green first half.
Hessenthaler - Class. Intercepts so much, keeps it simple. Great player and we need to get him on a longer contract.
Whitehouse - full of energy, not particularly silky and I'd like to see him get around Hanson or beyond him a bit more but he's a good player to have.
Green - ran himself into the ground. Quick and strong, I think he'll do a good job for us.
Rose - his injury looked bad, guessing a hamstring?
Hanson - love him. Such a handful. So long as we don't go too direct too often and look to work the ball out wide to get crosses in then I'll be very happy.
Ogbu - decision making at times, particularly first half, was questionable. But very unpredictable, worked hard and incredibly strong. Even if he's on just to win the ball back high up, he'll do that quite often I would imagine.
Pollock - looked shaky but probably wasn't expecting to go on and was perhaps a bit nervous. He's still very, very young.

Overall I thought first half we didn't get wide enough and stretch their defence. Second half that was addressed and if we could get a natural left footed player to swing them in from the right it would help. Gibson may be that player if we get fit. But we created chances, we'll be relatively solid and I think we'll do okay. The stats from today's game read well also. More shots, far more corners and only some poor finishing by us meant we didn't get more shots on target.

I think we could still do with another central midfielder, not least cause we're very short in numbers if Hewitt is going right back. And ideally a central defender too as both Davis and Ohman may get an injury at any time. We should still have a decent amount of budget left as Welsh, Collins, Woolford, Thomas and Dixon were all high earners at the start of last season and all have left. Hopefully we've got enough in the kitty still for two more good signings then I think we could have a really good season.

Finally, great atmosphere in the home end and I wish it was like that more often. For the numbers they had, the Bradford support was really, really poor and I expected much better. I also thought they looked really quite poor and I have no idea why their fans are so adamant they'll be towards the top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
jonnyboy82
August 10, 2019, 5:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Must say hewitt at right back has really surprised me.. Played excellent

My motm today between him and Hanson.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Hagrid
August 10, 2019, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Wheres Ginnywings?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
TownSNAFU5
August 10, 2019, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
A complete contract from our dire NL days.  20 away fans and the opposition park the bus.

Bradford helped create a great atmosphere.  In the first half they had 8 players in the final-third on a few occasions,  we coped with that.

At the start of the second-half I thought they stepped up a bit.  The goal was created by their player getting into space on the left (with his pace) and having time to put in a very good cross t9 an unmarked quality striker.  Apart from Macca’s saves, that was it from a highly-fancied team.

After conceding, we showed our grit and dominated.  Unlucky not to win.

Anyone could have been MOM.  Very encouraging for the season.  Also, bar 2 enforced subs for injuries, we did not make a tactical sub or add new energy (on a hot day).  Testimony to how the team were playing in the excellent second-half.

Wonder what Queeniebantom will make of it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Bradford)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.