Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who would buy GTFC ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 116 Guests

Who would buy GTFC ?

This thread currently has 4,843 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2019, 4:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PPS if Rancido wants to have a go at someone for dragging this thread down, he should look no further than you. By far the most provocative and negative poster on this thread.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
golfer
August 10, 2019, 5:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,427
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from KingstonMariner

There's a lot of people out there with a little bit of money. Given the right framework and strategy, it's collectively a big untapped source.

As for the treatment by "so-called" fans of someone who supposedly rescued the club from certain extinction, what flipping planet are you on? Have you not seen the amount of debt many clubs have been in and pulled through? And the last FL clubs to go out of business were Aldershot and Maidstone 27 years ago. You need to get out on the golf course more and get some fresh air and perspective.

Iii aaamm onnn  plaaneeett Reeallitee-there arrrr nnno ggolff corrsees aas thrre iis no graaass bbutt wwee hhaavee the seense yoo nott beer grudgess annd know when somebody is doing the best they can
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
August 10, 2019, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido
With the takeover bubbling in the background and as a  point for discussion , who would want to buy GTFC? Now, I'm a Grimbarian and this is the only club I could ever imagine supporting but what would the appeal be for someone to want to buy our club. Apart from the potential for increased gates of upto a possible average of 7,000 there is not much else really going for the club. Although the ground has had some improvements over the summer it still remains a fairly run-down relic of a previous age. NE Lincs is not a particularly attractive area and is a bit like an amalgamation of Fleetwood and Morecambe - ie a faded fishing port and a second rate holiday resort. Now don't get me wrong, I love my town but I can also see it's lack of appeal to anybody other than a local person who has " done good ". What do other Fishy posters think could be used as a selling point to attract other potential buyers/investors if the present takeover doesn't materialise?

I think your post could be used to describe any number of football clubs, but a lot have found buyers and have gone on to better things.

I just don't see why Grimsby and surrounding area is any different to other less affluent parts of the country where the local team has found a buyer.

An affinity to the town is usually the first requirement, money of course, and the vision to see  the club progress up the leagues and be a major part of it. if you also have the conditions that are ripe for a new stadium and a true legacy for the town as a whole, then a philanthropist with financial backers would be interested, as indeed they are.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
rancido
August 11, 2019, 8:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96

I think your post could be used to describe any number of football clubs, but a lot have found buyers and have gone on to better things.

I just don't see why Grimsby and surrounding area is any different to other less affluent parts of the country where the local team has found a buyer.

An affinity to the town is usually the first requirement, money of course, and the vision to see  the club progress up the leagues and be a major part of it. if you also have the conditions that are ripe for a new stadium and a true legacy for the town as a whole, then a philanthropist with financial backers would be interested, as indeed they are.

I appreciate that but I was looking specifically at our club and it's appeal.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
rancido
August 11, 2019, 8:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
PPS if Rancido wants to have a go at someone for dragging this thread down, he should look no further than you. By far the most provocative and negative poster on this thread.

I never mentioned anybody dragging the thread down, just why bring JF into a rhetorical question about the appeal of the club and area to a prospective investor. I'm certainly not negative but I am a realist and know how my town appears to outsiders. Even though there is only about 30,000 difference in the population do you honestly believe that Bournemouth would be less appealing to a buyer than Grimsby , even if they were at our level in the football pyramid?

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2019, 8:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

I never mentioned anybody dragging the thread down, just why bring JF into a rhetorical question about the appeal of the club and area to a prospective investor. I'm certainly not negative but I am a realist and know how my town appears to outsiders. Even though there is only about 30,000 difference in the population do you honestly believe that Bournemouth would be less appealing to a buyer than Grimsby , even if they were at our level in the football pyramid?

The rhetorical question infers GTFC in its’ current state therefore its’ current ownership is relevant. Without going through all of what’s happened, to me, the biggest problem created is the disconnect between the club and the fans. This could mean, if a new owner gets his act together, a deal potentially even better than he might have imagined. Connecting families back to the club would be one of the first things a new owner should do.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
dapperz fun pub
August 11, 2019, 9:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Haven’t read all the thread but did read the op .. cleethorpes looked nothing like a second rate holiday resort armed forces weekend , like gtfc the potential is there just needs the finance and vision  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Ipswin
August 11, 2019, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido

I appreciate that but I was looking specifically at our club and it's appeal.

And thats exactly the problem to everyone other than a multi-millionaire benefactor born in GY or Meggies whose Grandad took him when he was a lad to Blundell Park where he stood in the boy's stand while Grandad stood nearby in the Barratt it has no appeal to anyone. It certainly isn't going to make any new owner rich that's for sure.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
rancido
August 11, 2019, 12:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

And thats exactly the problem to everyone other than a multi-millionaire benefactor born in GY or Meggies whose Grandad took him when he was a lad to Blundell Park where he stood in the boy's stand while Grandad stood nearby in the Barratt it has no appeal to anyone. It certainly isn't going to make any new owner rich that's for sure.

Exactly , which is the point I was trying to make.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Bigdog
August 11, 2019, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Ipswin

Name any owners that buy a football club to get rich or make money. one or two out of hundreds who do and the huge majority who don't maybe. Some talk of investment into football clubs as if it's got to be a business deal for return on investment. At least ninety nine times out of a hundred it's got nothing to do with profit. It's for the love of the game, the kudos of owning a football club, building a mortal legacy or altruism and usually a mix of all four reasons. Anyone who meets this criteria would have reason to buy GTFC as they could certainly make their mark on our run down club and local area. Quite a lot to gain for reasons other than profit is my answer to the OP..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who would buy GTFC ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.