Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who would buy GTFC ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 297 Guests

Who would buy GTFC ?

This thread currently has 4,842 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2019, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer
I can't really see many answers to the question asked by Rancido except the same disguised "digs" at the present hierarchy.

I'm not going to disguise any digs. The club has been run badly for far too long.

The irony is that the only selling point the club has got is a regeneration pot that has nothing to do with anything positive that the football club has done.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
diehardmariner
August 10, 2019, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Rik e B

Let's not go all Brexiteers versus Remoan but if we leave the blasted Common Fisherys Policy our decimated industry could pick up again and along with Free Port status for Grimsby and Immingham, timed with the regeneration we could be looking at an age of prosperity once again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have the infrastructure (boats) and resource (skilled manpower) to reignite the fishing industry?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Rik e B
August 10, 2019, 11:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I've got a fishing rod and a rubber dingy...

I'm guessing with these things if the demand and opportunity is there things would pick up gradually. I'm not an economist or whatever 'ist' is needed to dissect such matters of growth, but opportunity is generally seized upon if the chance is there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
moosey_club
August 10, 2019, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
A sugar daddy with some sort of local connection
A businessman with a greater vision for a long term investment than most (given none have come forward so far)
A speculative chancer with more money than sense

Outside of those i really dont know....we know that the club in its current business model & location will only be fit for League 2 at best....
to climb the leagues needs either a significant injection of cash or a sustainable long term investment and steady rise.

A new ground doesnt guarantee anything at all long term.... local community engagement and some success on the pitch need to fall into place as well....there is little chance of the community relationship being built with the current regime, to much bad blood now so a new owner would have to hit the ground running with that one to even dream of mobilising the local fans.....success on the pitch is effected by budget and although we were told the budget for Jolley would be improved this year the squad still looks thin to me....so Jolley has either spent the extra on Hanson/Green/Macca, hasnt finished spending yet or the budget didnt get increased after all. Either way JF's approach of balancing the books as he wants out is grinding the club to a halt..and if you arent moving forward in business then you are falling behind.

Lincoln have had a mixture of luck in getting the appointment of the Cowleys right, football fortune and off field investment which came with a change of board/chair....they are now on a roll and in danger of outgrowng their home and potentially  losing income as they cant meet demand for seats....what a difference 2/3 years make with a change of approach.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Azimuth
August 10, 2019, 12:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from diehardmariner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have the infrastructure (boats) and resource (skilled manpower) to reignite the fishing industry?

No we dont but with investment that could happen.
The renewables industry we keep hearing about started in the town with no boats or skiled manpower.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
rancido
August 10, 2019, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
I just wanted to see what other fans thought would be the appeal of buying GTFC regardless of club politics. Regardless of JF, what has the club as a concern and the area got to offer to a potential buyer. Sadly and predictably the "usual suspects" once again turn a reasonable thread, open to differing interpretations, into a dig at JF. We even have one post questioning the playing budget without knowing what it is and overlooking the fact that the transfer season still hasn't closed yet.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2019, 1:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido
I just wanted to see what other fans thought would be the appeal of buying GTFC regardless of club politics. Regardless of JF, what has the club as a concern and the area got to offer to a potential buyer. Sadly and predictably the "usual suspects" once again turn a reasonable thread, open to differing interpretations, into a dig at JF. We even have one post questioning the playing budget without knowing what it is and overlooking the fact that the transfer season still hasn't closed yet.

“The ‘usual suspects’ once again...” can you be more specific?  You’re casting aspersions rather widely. Most have answered your first question from their own points of view. Some have answered your second question.

As others have said reasons for ‘investing’ in GTFC:
A profitable business
Signs of growth in the towns
Strong, loyal supporter base
A historic brand, recognised nationally (and even internationallly)
Chance to be associated with emerging green industry, and new generation food and leisure sector
Linked real estate Develoment opportunities
Under-exploited revenue opportunities for the club
For businesses that have profited from the town, a chance to put something back (good PR and advertising)
Sentiment amongst the Grimbarian Diaspora (of all levels of wealth).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
golfer
August 10, 2019, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
I don't think there are enough people amongst "Grimbarian Diaspora" with the wealth to own a football club who would really want to when they see how a certain person who "rescued" the club from certain extinction has been treat by "so called" fans[or bigots]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2019, 4:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from golfer
I don't think there are enough people amongst "Grimbarian Diaspora" with the wealth to own a football club who would really want to when they see how a certain person who "rescued" the club from certain extinction has been treat by "so called" fans[or bigots]

There's a lot of people out there with a little bit of money. Given the right framework and strategy, it's collectively a big untapped source.

As for the treatment by "so-called" fans of someone who supposedly rescued the club from certain extinction, what flipping planet are you on? Have you not seen the amount of debt many clubs have been in and pulled through? And the last FL clubs to go out of business were Aldershot and Maidstone 27 years ago. You need to get out on the golf course more and get some fresh air and perspective.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2019, 4:38pm
Meths Drinker
PS Fenty has got off lightly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who would buy GTFC ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.