Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who would buy GTFC ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 228 Guests

Who would buy GTFC ?

This thread currently has 4,838 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
August 9, 2019, 8:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
With the takeover bubbling in the background and as a  point for discussion , who would want to buy GTFC? Now, I'm a Grimbarian and this is the only club I could ever imagine supporting but what would the appeal be for someone to want to buy our club. Apart from the potential for increased gates of upto a possible average of 7,000 there is not much else really going for the club. Although the ground has had some improvements over the summer it still remains a fairly run-down relic of a previous age. NE Lincs is not a particularly attractive area and is a bit like an amalgamation of Fleetwood and Morecambe - ie a faded fishing port and a second rate holiday resort. Now don't get me wrong, I love my town but I can also see it's lack of appeal to anybody other than a local person who has " done good ". What do other Fishy posters think could be used as a selling point to attract other potential buyers/investors if the present takeover doesn't materialise?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
WetFlannel
August 9, 2019, 8:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
The area is in desperate need of regeneration. If you wanted to be at the forefront of the regeneration, especially with a hope that green energy could make the town have even a slight bit of potential, you’d do well to buy a club at the heart of the community and use it as the centre of a new public works project you would help make the regeneration successful, and then the club you own would be worth much more, plus have the chance of using the new income to become more successful (only minimally, but it all counts).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Grim up north
August 9, 2019, 8:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Cleethorpes for me is going from strength to strength and the potential to build on the docks is exciting , look at Hartlepool to see how it can be done. Grimsby has had no money given to it like Liverpool and Hull to the tune of billions and we should start to see some big regeneration . The docks has loads of potential and as a mate pointed out who does a bit of sailing that coming up the East coast you have Wells next to sea then Whitby . Hull is the only stop off with facilities at the minute but adds up to 6 hours on a journey up and down the Humber whereas if the docks had the facilities it would be ideal. Tomorrows game is a prime example of revenue available as if we had a stadium to accommodate 4000 away fans Bradford would've sold it out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
TheRealJohnLewis
August 9, 2019, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Good question, two things that spring to mind is the investment that is coming into the Freemo/Docks area.  Regardless of whether our stadium gets built there, it's a sign that Gy is on the up and has potential. Secondly, despite the shite we've been served, we have a loyal and passionate fan base, which with the right guidance should expand by tapping into the floating fan base across Lincolnshire.

If I had the money, I would happily buy GTFC, however, I would be an investor only, I would hire someone who knows what they are doing to run the club.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
HertsGTFC
August 9, 2019, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
It’s not a case of wether I’d buy Town or not it’s more of who I’d get to run it.

If you had the kind of money to buy they club, relocate it and grow it you certainly wouldn’t want to be too involved in the day to day stuff.

I would imagine considering in reality there is a glass ceiling in terms of gates & revenue the money you’d need to put in wouldn’t stop with just a purchase and a move.

Then again lift the fan/public good will and engagement, get the ball down a lot of stuff might just look after itself.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
MarinerBen
August 9, 2019, 8:52pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
To answer the subject question, anyone that fulfills Fenty's criteria.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 9, 2019, 9:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If I had the money, and subject to the agreement of her indoors, I’d buy it for sentimental reasons and to give something back. I’d like to hand it over to the Trust on trust with the proviso that they never sold it and held it in trust (too many trusts) on behalf of the people of NEL.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
golfer
August 10, 2019, 8:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
I can't really see many answers to the question asked by Rancido except the same disguised "digs" at the present hierarchy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Rick12
August 10, 2019, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Great thread Ranicdo.

I think in today's market were going to struggle and realistically the only one who is going to buy the club is a Grimsby Town fan who has come good financially .Saying that though if I was a businessman I could think of far more deserving enterprises where I could put my money in albeit charity's that are true to my heart.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Rik e B
August 10, 2019, 10:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
There's plenty of reasons; like Shutes envisages - integrating the Club into the heart of the community via the exciting new redevelopment proposals, a Club which a lesser scale sleeping giant in that it has a a fantastic history and tradition as part of the tapestry of the town with lots of support out that just waiting to be re-inspired. We used to knock on 30000 fans at times.

Let's not go all Brexiteers versus Remoan but if we leave the blasted Common Fisherys Policy our decimated industry could pick up again and along with Free Port status for Grimsby and Immingham, timed with the regeneration we could be looking at an age of prosperity once again.

Some swanky apartment pads on the regenerated docks, this that and a bit of foresight, the potential there with the draw of Cleethorpes already to really start launching ourselves in the 21st Century and beyond.

But, compulsory Fenty dig impending, the Club not so attractive with the need to hand over 2 million big ones for nothing other than to get our current custodian to prize himself out his chair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who would buy GTFC ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.