Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › You know you’re getting old when ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

You know you’re getting old when ?

This thread currently has 5,505 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
August 18, 2019, 6:39pm
Guest User
When a random pube continues to grow
Reply: 30 - 73
KingstonMariner
August 18, 2019, 6:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 28195
When a random pube continues to grow

Grey one?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
FishOutOfWater
August 23, 2019, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.16
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Grey one?

You know you're getting old when you don't get "hair removal cream for men".... saw an ad for this in the cinema last week   WTF!?!?    

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 73
KingstonMariner
August 23, 2019, 3:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

You know you're getting old when you don't get "hair removal cream for men".... saw an ad for this in the cinema last week   WTF!?!?    

I don't get the whole grooming industry*. It's a sign that the young generation have too much spare cash (they probably don't think it's worth while saving for a mortgage because they're never going to afford it anyway, like mid-Victorian workers would spend spare cash on getting bladdered for similar reasons).

* But then a previous generation used to think after shave was for poufs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
FishOutOfWater
August 24, 2019, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don't get the whole grooming industry*. It's a sign that the young generation have too much spare cash (they probably don't think it's worth while saving for a mortgage because they're never going to afford it anyway, like mid-Victorian workers would spend spare cash on getting bladdered for similar reasons).

* But then a previous generation used to think after shave was for poufs.

Until  KK  and Henry came along and enticed us to use Brut  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 73
KingstonMariner
August 24, 2019, 9:24pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Until  KK  and Henry came along and enticed us to use Brut  

Splash it all over.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
TownSNAFU5
September 16, 2019, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
Fish Out Of Water,  sadly he has recently passed away now.  After a much better innnings than the English Test batsmen. A Grimbarian to the core.  

The sad thing is that 95% of his football and life stories (as above etc) were not known to his 2 sons until towards the end of his life. He kep all the good stuff to himself.

He was character and had some amazing life stories.  Not over-bright but very energetic and streetwise.  A new house was being built next door to his bungalow.  It would block out some of his light.  One night he moved the footing (strings) back 3 feet and nobody noticed.

In his ealy 90s, he was on a "walking machine" and had a serious heart condition.  This never stopped him driving down through Europe on his own to FI and motor cycle grand Prix.  He had an expensive hoist in his estate car.  But often got kind volunteers to lift up his very heavy mobility scooter.

He would sleep in his car.  Other times he took a tent and got people to put it up for him.

He was a civilian driver in the RAF in the 1950 - 1970s.  Once he took an Air Vice-Marshal to stay at his parents house at Eliston Street (opp BP).  He was on the Bboard for a courts marshal at Binbrook.  He loved the homely cooking compared to a hotel.  (Being a Regular in the RAF myself I was and  are still horrified at how this could have gone wrong).

For his sins he was a serious hoarder.  He used to sit in his chair with a litter picker to reach things he needed.  He had extension poles for items further away.

When he did summer taxiing at Mablethorpe in the 1960s and 1970s,  He mad a taxi sign out out of a long plastic picnic box.  He used dayglo to make the word taxi. He them put this on his roof, wired up to show a light when dark.

We had so much "MOD" items such as torches at home, that I grew-up thinking that they sponsored us.   At RAF Manby and Strubby, he used to come home for lunch in a 3 tonner or a very large crane!

Other drivers were stealing his biscuits at Manby. So he got some custard cremes and took each one apart.  Then he put mustard in each one and sealed them up again. He left them in the tea room. He tape-recorded the reactions as his mates ate them.  I heard the tape later and it was very funny.  

In Burma he did not drink or smoke.  Being half sensible, he was selected with 7 other airmen to visit a private family who owned a tea-plantation.  Waiter service, best silver tea set and good food.  Numerous photo's were taken of this lovely hospitality, many of which we found in his effects after he died. This was news to the family.   Why do old servicemen never talk of their interesting war exploits?     (I also thought that there was a war on??.  

The best pre-war story (true) is my uncle who lived next door.  He was a Chief Petty Officer in the RN.  In the 1930s, his ship was berthed in northern Germany.  His captain was attending a meeting with senior German representatives.  A message had to to be taken to the RN captain.  My uncle took the message to his captain at the meeting.  One of the Germans at the meeting was .................................Adolf Hitler!  

Now if he had known what was to come and he bumped him off??.................................................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
TownSNAFU5
September 17, 2019, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
..................I should add that right to the end of his life (nearly 95) my father was still a Town fan. (Strangely, as a kid I always remember him saying that Town were rubbish). PC had not come in yet and he used to talk about the away team "their fast darkie on the wing"!? That is how people spoke many years ago.  (No idea what he made of Tony Ford).

He also had 3 large-screen TVs in his (small) living-room in Mablethorpe.  2 turned on to the news or sport (always different channels).

If one item caught his attention he turned the 2nd TV volume down.  The third TV was for his CCTV camera trained on the front door.  Everybody (eg carers) came in the unopened backdoor anyway!  

One of his medical consultants said in a letter that "Mr Cole was a very interesting and energetic man for his age, and had 3 TVs working at the same time in his living room".

After he died we filled 4 carrier-bags with prescription medicines that he had not taken over the years because he had read, or sommebody told him, that they conflicted with other health issues he had or medicines that he was taking.

He had a smaller mobility scooter just for getting round in bungalow.  He had other mobility scooters with the battery on charge 24/7, a fire risk but he would not listen to anybody.  

He would buy 2 daily paper everyday and the Grimsby Telegraph (even though he had not lived there for 65 years). He could remember any article that he had read if asked.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 73
FishOutOfWater
September 17, 2019, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Some cracking stuff there about your dad and some of his exploits SNAFU

You can't help but look back on the times they lived in and have nothing but admiration, because all around them life was tougher than any of us today can imagine, but they always met the day to day challenges head on  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 73
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2019, 10:13pm
Meths Drinker
Sounds a right character SNAFU. Thanks for sharing the stories.

Got any more?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › You know you’re getting old when ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.