This thread currently has 6,008 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 6, 2019, 5:28pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
In recent years it's become the done thing to kick the ball out of play when a player is down injured, the game being restarted with a throw back to the team who were in possession.

This season however Bristol City have taken the step of informing all other Championship clubs that they will not kick the ball of of play, unless the player down has a head injury. They will also carry on playing if it is their player down injured too,

Thoughts on this?

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....ing-ball-out-of-play

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
TwoLeftFeet
August 6, 2019, 5:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Personally think it should be down to the referee to stop the game. So long as it's agreed before the game there shouldn't be any problem with not putting ball out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
sonofmadeleymariner
August 6, 2019, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
If its a head injury I've no problem with stopping play, if someone oges down like Hess did on Saturday and the ref didn't call a stop to the game I would like to see a player put the ball out, but if someone just doesn't get up and carrys on rolling around play on because if he was really that hurt he'd drag himself to a touchline

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Malta_Mariner_90
August 6, 2019, 5:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
It will be fine until one of their own players does a cruciate or breaks a leg and the oppo do not kick the ball out because Bristol City wrote a letter to all clubs saying they would not kick it out themselves...

Think it should remain solely up to the referee to stop the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
KingstonMariner
August 6, 2019, 5:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
difficult to make a hard and fast rule. The ref might not appreciate the seriousness of the situation if he’s busy keeping up with the game. Otherwise I think what Johnson has done makes sense.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 6, 2019, 5:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
It will be fine until one of their own players does a cruciate or breaks a leg and the oppo do not kick the ball out because Bristol City wrote a letter to all clubs saying they would not kick it out themselves...

Think it should remain solely up to the referee to stop the game.

I agree. This kick the ball out lark has been a pain for ages, supported by the authorities mainly because taking a throw afterwards is easier to manage than a dropped ball at the spot of the injury. Time all referees earned their wages and made the important decisions instead of leaving it to other people.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
mimma
August 6, 2019, 6:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
The problem I have are when foreign players go down clutching their faces even though there is no contract with their head. Busketts was a master of it. His face must have been made of glass!

When play is restarted it is always to the disadvantage of the attacking team meaning that there is an advantage for players to go down

It is also a time wasting tactic since the time taken never gets fully added on. To stop this why can't  we have an independent time keeper who stops the clock when the ref signals like they do in rugby league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Abdul19
August 6, 2019, 6:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,512
Gold Stars: 215
The worst ones are when teams don't kick the ball out when their own player is down, lose possession, then expect the opposition to kick it out! Personally, unless the player down is obviously seriously injured, I'd never kick it out.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
fiveallive
August 6, 2019, 6:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Only the ref should stop the game in my opinion I hate it when the fans start booing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Gaffer58
August 6, 2019, 6:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I think what Bristol propose is spot on as things stand at the moment, but I would have it that when a player is down the physio comes on and deals with him, the game carries on and when the player is ready to continue he stands with his hands in the air, the referee will decide when he becomes active by telling him. If a teams down to ten men whilst he game continues then see how quickly players are not as hurt ad they are today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
August 6, 2019, 6:48pm
Guest User
if a player goes down and play is stopped ,that player must stay off the pitch for 5 minutes(controlled by 4th official) so a player genuinly injured would need that time to recover but someone play acting penalises his own team.    just an idea.  
Reply: 10 - 33
ginnywings
August 6, 2019, 6:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 4055
if a player goes down and play is stopped ,that player must stay off the pitch for 5 minutes(controlled by 4th official) so a player genuinly injured would need that time to recover but someone play acting penalises his own team.    just an idea.  

So our star striker gets hacked down by a vicious tackle, and has to leave the pitch for 5 mins?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
golfer
August 6, 2019, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from 4055

I would add that if it was a foul then "the dirty illegitimate" who did it goes off for twice as long
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Malta_Mariner_90
August 6, 2019, 7:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from mimma
The problem I have are when foreign players go down clutching their faces even though there is no contract with their head. Busketts was a master of it. His face must have been made of glass!

When play is restarted it is always to the disadvantage of the attacking team meaning that there is an advantage for players to go down

It is also a time wasting tactic since the time taken never gets fully added on. To stop this why can't  we have an independent time keeper who stops the clock when the ref signals like they do in rugby league?

It is not exactly restricted to foreign players is it? Morecambes keeper this past game being a prime example....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Kris2
August 6, 2019, 7:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
It should be up to the referee to decide if something is serious enough to warrant stopping play. Sportsmanship is fine and all but it's out of control when it's expected to give up an advantage because somebody is rolling around like a fanny only to be running around seconds after their team has the ball back.

If there is a serious injury then referees already have the discretion to stop play so treatment can be given, no need to kick the ball out anytime somebody hits the deck. The ball will eventually be out of play on it's own. If a team wants to put the ball out of play it should be given to the other team, that's their choice and they shouldn't automatically get the ball back.

Time wasting also needs more strict punishments in the game. It's getting ridiculous now when the dying minutes of a game are just players falling all over the place like they have been shot. I also think that an obvious dive in the box to win a penalty should be an automatic sending off like with the last man rule.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Ipswin
August 6, 2019, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
God forbid but let's hope no Bristol City player or any of their opponents players suffer a compound fracture or similar.

That said Bristol's opponents may not adopt the same approach of course

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Gaffer58
August 6, 2019, 8:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Remember many years ago at the end the f a Sky game they would put statistics up, one was total game time, usually about 90 odd minutes, another was active game time, this was usually around 45 minutes, so basically the actual action was only around 45 minutes, if the ball is dead then he clock should be stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
chaos33
August 6, 2019, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from ginnywings

So our star striker gets hacked down by a vicious tackle, and has to leave the pitch for 5 mins?

I didn’t know we had a ‘star striker’?! Nice one ☝️

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
August 6, 2019, 8:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

if hes hacked down the guilty player probably would be off for longer than 5 minutes with a Red card.
Reply: 18 - 33
RichMariner
August 6, 2019, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,138
Gold Stars: 209
Must admit, it frustrates me when one of Team A’s players goes down injured and they insist that Team B kick it out.

Team B kick it out and hey presto, less than a minute later Team A’s injures player is running round like Usain Bolt.

When I see a player on the floor rolling around in agony, I think about the times I’ve been in as much agony as that - like when I broke my leg, or when I got punched in the head in a brawl, so to me, if they’re down like that, I presume they need subbing.

Honestly, it boils my urine, all this dramatisation. In principle I agree with what Bristol City are doing. There’s no point kicking the ball out of play just so some soft twit can have a minute’s rest.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
jamesgtfc
August 6, 2019, 10:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
I think the idea of an injured player leaving the field for 5 minutes is a good one. If there is a foul and the offending player gets booked, the injured player doesn't have to leave the field. That rule should stand and would prevent the issue with the star striker above more often than not.

Time doesn't get added on correctly and teams use it to disrupt play so anything that encourages the game to flow better suits me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
supertown
August 6, 2019, 10:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Just let the medics/physio on and play round them , unless it looks serious or is in the penalty box
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
rancido
August 7, 2019, 7:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think the idea of an injured player leaving the field for 5 minutes is a good one. If there is a foul and the offending player gets booked, the injured player doesn't have to leave the field. That rule should stand and would prevent the issue with the star striker above more often than not.

Time doesn't get added on correctly and teams use it to disrupt play so anything that encourages the game to flow better suits me.

I said on a post a while ago that if a player goes down injured and the physio is required then the injured player should go off the pitch for a mandatory 5 minutes to ensure he is fit to carry on playing. If a player goes down injured then play should proceed unless the referee deems that the physio is required and play can then stop.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
golfer
August 7, 2019, 7:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from supertown
Just let the medics/physio on and play round them , unless it looks serious or is in the penalty box

Good idea-you could use cones and that red and white tape and a ball boy inside the restricted area. You've set me off now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
supertown
August 7, 2019, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from golfer

Good idea-you could use cones and that red and white tape and a ball boy inside the restricted area. You've set me off now.

It works in rugby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
buckstown
August 7, 2019, 7:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
The fundamental problem here is that football is awash with cheats and gamesmanship. Referees are never quite sure whether they're being conned so don't know what to do and that puts "pressure" on opposing teams to stop play. Seem to recall that's why they introduced the rule about going off if you need the physio
I think that's why Bristol City adopted this policy, and until footballers and coaches start showing greater integrity it will be down to individual teams.
If you're in possession and one of your players goes down it's easy, you decide. Stop cheating and it's also very simple
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
ivanosandwich
August 7, 2019, 8:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Gaffer58
Remember many years ago at the end the f a Sky game they would put statistics up, one was total game time, usually about 90 odd minutes, another was active game time, this was usually around 45 minutes, so basically the actual action was only around 45 minutes, if the ball is dead then he clock should be stopped.

I agree with the theory but based on that we would be finishing the game 3 hours after kick off, 10:45 for a night match.

I'm not sure that we have enough battery life in our new floodlights for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
ginnywings
August 7, 2019, 8:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33

I didn’t know we had a ‘star striker’?! Nice one ☝️

Bit of a stretch at the moment, but not that long ago we had Amond and Bogle.

Let's imagine a big burly centre half elbows said striker in the mush without the officials seeing the incident. He goes down, then has to leave the field for 5 mins, while the opposition carry on with 11 men.

Unfortunately, the way the game is now, whatever rule changes are made, the cheating players will find a way to exploit it. Every game, you see players going down holding their head, because they know the ref has to stop the match for head injuries. I think physios being allowed onto the pitch during play is a good shout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
wuffing
August 7, 2019, 9:19am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +821
Gold Stars: 38
Why, the solution is easy....all we have to do is install one of those fairground cuddly toy grabbers pitchside. When a player stays down, the trainer puts 50p in the slot and attempts to pick up the 'injured' party. 99 times out of 100 they will be dropped back into play, which fits in with the amount of times a player is really injured anyway. Also the club makes some extra cash from the grabber.  

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
KingstonMariner
August 7, 2019, 12:38pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from wuffing
Why, the solution is easy....all we have to do is install one of those fairground cuddly toy grabbers pitchside. When a player stays down, the trainer puts 50p in the slot and attempts to pick up the 'injured' party. 99 times out of 100 they will be dropped back into play, which fits in with the amount of times a player is really injured anyway. Also the club makes some extra cash from the grabber.  

Typical grasping Meggie!

So am I. Great idea.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
Theimperialcoroner
August 7, 2019, 5:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,138
Gold Stars: 102
It should always be the Refs decision. Takes all the gamesmanship away from the other team.
I’d very much also like to see refs given the ability to caution players who make Lazarus-style recoveries moments after being at deaths door.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
Madeleymariner
August 8, 2019, 1:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
The one that gets me most is when a player goes off injured, then comes back on limps for 1 minute then sits down in the middle of the pitch while the phsio then spends 5 mins pretending to give attention while the sub warms up, If he could walk back onto the pitch he can walk off again without the game stopping..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
Gaffer58
August 8, 2019, 6:06pm
Brandy Drinker
We all seem to have a gripe about various forms of professionalism (basically cheating) but why are not FIFA or EUFA bothered about it, I would assume money is involved somewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2019, 8:00pm
Meths Drinker
The number of member countries where ‘gamesmanship ‘ is an integral part of the football culture would dissuade FIFA from doing anything about it unless absolutely necessary. Only if there’s a clear threat to revenue because of a bad reputation would they act (ie if sponsors started to back away from being associated with the game).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kicking the ball out of play

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.