This thread currently has 6,010 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 6, 2019, 5:28pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
In recent years it's become the done thing to kick the ball out of play when a player is down injured, the game being restarted with a throw back to the team who were in possession.

This season however Bristol City have taken the step of informing all other Championship clubs that they will not kick the ball of of play, unless the player down has a head injury. They will also carry on playing if it is their player down injured too,

Thoughts on this?

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....ing-ball-out-of-play

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
TwoLeftFeet
August 6, 2019, 5:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Personally think it should be down to the referee to stop the game. So long as it's agreed before the game there shouldn't be any problem with not putting ball out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
sonofmadeleymariner
August 6, 2019, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
If its a head injury I've no problem with stopping play, if someone oges down like Hess did on Saturday and the ref didn't call a stop to the game I would like to see a player put the ball out, but if someone just doesn't get up and carrys on rolling around play on because if he was really that hurt he'd drag himself to a touchline

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Malta_Mariner_90
August 6, 2019, 5:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
It will be fine until one of their own players does a cruciate or breaks a leg and the oppo do not kick the ball out because Bristol City wrote a letter to all clubs saying they would not kick it out themselves...

Think it should remain solely up to the referee to stop the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
KingstonMariner
August 6, 2019, 5:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
difficult to make a hard and fast rule. The ref might not appreciate the seriousness of the situation if he’s busy keeping up with the game. Otherwise I think what Johnson has done makes sense.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 6, 2019, 5:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
It will be fine until one of their own players does a cruciate or breaks a leg and the oppo do not kick the ball out because Bristol City wrote a letter to all clubs saying they would not kick it out themselves...

Think it should remain solely up to the referee to stop the game.

I agree. This kick the ball out lark has been a pain for ages, supported by the authorities mainly because taking a throw afterwards is easier to manage than a dropped ball at the spot of the injury. Time all referees earned their wages and made the important decisions instead of leaving it to other people.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
mimma
August 6, 2019, 6:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
The problem I have are when foreign players go down clutching their faces even though there is no contract with their head. Busketts was a master of it. His face must have been made of glass!

When play is restarted it is always to the disadvantage of the attacking team meaning that there is an advantage for players to go down

It is also a time wasting tactic since the time taken never gets fully added on. To stop this why can't  we have an independent time keeper who stops the clock when the ref signals like they do in rugby league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Abdul19
August 6, 2019, 6:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
The worst ones are when teams don't kick the ball out when their own player is down, lose possession, then expect the opposition to kick it out! Personally, unless the player down is obviously seriously injured, I'd never kick it out.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
fiveallive
August 6, 2019, 6:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Only the ref should stop the game in my opinion I hate it when the fans start booing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Gaffer58
August 6, 2019, 6:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
I think what Bristol propose is spot on as things stand at the moment, but I would have it that when a player is down the physio comes on and deals with him, the game carries on and when the player is ready to continue he stands with his hands in the air, the referee will decide when he becomes active by telling him. If a teams down to ten men whilst he game continues then see how quickly players are not as hurt ad they are today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kicking the ball out of play

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.