Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can You Beat The Bookies?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 141 Guests

Can You Beat The Bookies?

This thread currently has 8,680 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2019, 3:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
They say they hate bookies because they take your money when you lose and they restrict your account when you win... but if it weren’t for online gambling, that lad at the start who made his money from poker and that courtsiding bloke wouldn’t have hundreds of thousands of pounds in the bank.

In poker you're competing against other people. Different from betting on someone else you have no influence over.

The courtsider was making money in spite of bookies not because of them. If they could find a way to plug that loophole they would. Unless they’ve got a snide way of making money out of it themselves.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
RichMariner
August 8, 2019, 3:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,138
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from KingstonMariner

In poker you're competing against other people. Different from betting on someone else you have no influence over.

The courtsider was making money in spite of bookies not because of them. If they could find a way to plug that loophole they would. Unless they’ve got a snide way of making money out of it themselves.

But taking money off other people was that lad's wake-up call, and the online bookies facilitated it. He doesn't play poker any more because he isn't morally comfortable with it, so presumably he puts poker players and bookies in the same bracket.

I do know what you mean... I just believe, for argument's sake, that if you took away online gambling companies overnight, a lot of these people who claim they're 'getting their own back' would suddenly lose their income.

Whether they'd like to admit it or not, their income depends on the existence of bookies... who take money off other people. That courtsider is no different from the poker player, in the sense that he's taking other people's money.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
supertown
August 8, 2019, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from jaygy
Courtsiding is rife in golf too, following players around the course and on the phone to people half the world away betting on someone making a putt etc

Sure is, there is a local lad does it  and he recently  bought his house from the proceeds . Biggest problem he has is investing his money  . You have to prove where it’s from and no one believes it’s from gambling
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2019, 4:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner

But taking money off other people was that lad's wake-up call, and the online bookies facilitated it. He doesn't play poker any more because he isn't morally comfortable with it, so presumably he puts poker players and bookies in the same bracket.

I do know what you mean... I just believe, for argument's sake, that if you took away online gambling companies overnight, a lot of these people who claim they're 'getting their own back' would suddenly lose their income.

Whether they'd like to admit it or not, their income depends on the existence of bookies... who take money off other people. That courtsider is no different from the poker player, in the sense that he's taking other people's money.

Yeah that’s a fair point about the source of the gambling money. If the online bookies closed down overnight I wouldn’t lose sleep over a few professional gamblers losing their income.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
nightrider
August 8, 2019, 5:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
[quote=225]

Sure is, there is a local lad does it  and he recently  bought his house from the proceeds . Biggest problem he has is investing his money  . You have to prove where it’s from and no one believes it’s from gambling [/quote

Does it not say where it's from on your bank account statement?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
lukeo
August 8, 2019, 10:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,293
Gold Stars: 134
I won £4000 on a slot machine 4 years ago. £300 a few years back on Leicester to beat man City with Vardy to score fiirst.. That's the only time ive won 'big' ..
I used to Bet a lot but now it's £10-20 a month. So let's work it out. 12 years on an average of £40 a month.. 40 x 12 = £480. Times that by 12 years £480 x 12 = £6760.
So I'm roughly £1,460 down over 12 years... £1,460 ÷ 12 = £120ish a year. Actually not as bad as I expected but I was very lucky I got that 1 big win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
LH
August 9, 2019, 12:21am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from nightrider
[quote=225]

Sure is, there is a local lad does it  and he recently  bought his house from the proceeds . Biggest problem he has is investing his money  . You have to prove where it’s from and no one believes it’s from gambling [/quote

Does it not say where it's from on your bank account statement?

Yes but you could launder money by adding it to your account by one card and withdrawing with another. Although I think they’ve cracked down on this by only allowing withdrawals from the card you added money with.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
August 9, 2019, 2:42am
Guest User
West Ham are 14-1 to win their opening PL match...at home. Just saying.
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can You Beat The Bookies?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.