4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
August 5, 2019, 8:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
I was very happy for to see Town win on Saturday and to score two goals. A rare phenomenal event last season. However, Town played all right but certainly wasn't a stella earth shattering performance. I, for the record was happy with it and it was good to see a bit of strength and determination to their play.

But we were fortunate with both goals. The first goal - well I couldn't believe there were 6 Town players just in front of the goalie as Morecambe pulled forward to try to make us offside. When Whitehouse put the ball in the net I didn't even cheer and I thought that couldn't be a goal. I was very happy when the ref pointed to the centre spot.

The second goal was also fortunate. In the last few minutes all the Morecambe players were attacking (except 1 or 2) including their goalie. The ball ran to Clifton, I believe, who managed to kick it forward to Wright. He very calmly kept his nerve and went past their defender and slotted the ball home. Both goals were take very well.

However, Bradford will be a different kettle of fish. It won't be an easy game and I don't think anyone is saying it will be. All I am saying is to be careful and to temper our expectations. Lets hope for the best and another good result. It should be a great atmosphere.

I do believe that Town have got some very good players and with a little bit of luck you never know where we will end. I very much doubt it will be like the last two seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
August 5, 2019, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
I agree with mariner Bob. we are far from getting used to each other and will be prone to a few mistakes just like any team this early in the season. we should not fear Bradford at all  but be prepaired for a harder game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 8:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
All I'd say is if Morecambe wanted to take the risk of sending their keeper up at the death to try and get something from the game then that is their decision and not fortunate. It still took some quick play and composure to take advantage and punish them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
mimma
August 5, 2019, 8:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
When a keeper goes up for a corner in the last minute, it is quite rare for a defending team to break away and score. I can't remember a similar goal last season.

It is also worth noting that there were two Town players breaking forward to get the goal.

A sign of new attacking intent from the first to last minute?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 5, 2019, 8:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,503
Gold Stars: 64
Given the level of expectancy the majority expressed on here before the season kicked off not sure one away win to a side who predominantly finish in the bottom four is going to get us putting the champagne on ice!!!

More startling to me is that over 1000 town fans actually attended the match which in all honesty is more remarkable then the away win given our form in the second half of last season and the aforementioned expectations. A great effort by fans and the team and long may both continue 😄😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
toontown
August 5, 2019, 9:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Would have likely been nil nil if they hadn't gifted us it with two goals. They tried to give us a 3rd bizarre goal but it was nipped off greens toes.

Decent battling performance against a side that's likely to be nearer the bottom than the top, but nothing to get carried away with. The main positive for me was Wright who really does look very useful going forward.
Rose looked improved and looked to have shaken off the hamstring issue that was hampering him last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Cricklewoodmariner
August 5, 2019, 9:18pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +322
Gold Stars: 7
Our passing was pretty poor at times although I'll reserve judgement on the team until we are a few games into the season. Having a tough game against Morecambe (no offense) who will likely be near the bottom of the league like they have been for the past six years doesn't suggest we are going to have a stellar season. We didn't have an amazing transfer window either. But I live in hope and I think we will end up mid table.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
chaos33
August 5, 2019, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Err yeah cheers. I’m much the wiser now.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
moosey_club
August 5, 2019, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MarinerRob
I was very happy for to see Town win on Saturday and to score two goals. A rare phenomenal event last season. However, Town played all right but certainly wasn't a stella earth shattering performance. I, for the record was happy with it and it was good to see a bit of strength and determination to their play.

But we were fortunate with both goals. The first goal - well I couldn't believe there were 6 Town players just in front of the goalie as Morecambe pulled forward to try to make us offside. When Whitehouse put the ball in the net I didn't even cheer and I thought that couldn't be a goal. I was very happy when the ref pointed to the centre spot.

The second goal was also fortunate. In the last few minutes all the Morecambe players were attacking (except 1 or 2) including their goalie. The ball ran to Clifton, I believe, who managed to kick it forward to Wright. He very calmly kept his nerve and went past their defender and slotted the ball home. Both goals were take very well.

However, Bradford will be a different kettle of fish. It won't be an easy game and I don't think anyone is saying it will be. All I am saying is to be careful and to temper our expectations. Lets hope for the best and another good result. It should be a great atmosphere.

I do believe that Town have got some very good players and with a little bit of luck you never know where we will end. I very much doubt it will be like the last two seasons.

So are you saying that i was ill advised to get the "GTFC 2019/20 League 2 Invincibles" tattoo in Blackpool on Saturday night ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 9:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Tbh I don't think people are getting too carried away other than being happy we won. This breeds a bit of positivity just like a loss brings a little short term negativity (so long as losing doesn't continue!).

Like all the sensible managers say: 'Don't get to up when we win and don't get too down if we lose.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
sydney
August 5, 2019, 9:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Look give the lads credit when it’s deserved
First proper game
Many new players and new positions, playing a stubborn but not necessarily quality side
We absolutely matched them in guts and battling and yes we did get dragged down to their level at times
As the game went on only one winner as our fitness shone through so credit to Michael and the coaches this summer
We look as if we want it and battled and never stopped running
I will take that as a start and so much better than FGR 1-4 nightmare we witnessed first game last season
Standouts Hanson Wright Back 4 Othman was immense
As was Whitehouse
Yes Bradford will be tough but they will know they have been in a game with these battlers playing with new heart and for the badge (as we witnessed when we scored) I will back them and will try not to be so doomongering this season if they put in a shift like that every week
Give them a break for a few games and let’s see if we have something here to build on
We all saw the best of Gy this Sat where team and fans all came together so let’s concentrate on the positive for at least a few weeks
Come on Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
moosey_club
August 5, 2019, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
i was kind of reminded of the recent Chesterfield away opening day where we didnt play well but still came away with a winning 2 goal margin....difference that day being Chesterfield were actually fancied to be up amongst  the promotion chasers that year which helped build our over enthusiasm whereas Morecambe aren't....so i really dont think anyone is getting fooled or carried away by a relatively uninspiring performance ( defensive solidity aside ) against perennial strugglers.

It was just one of those sunny away days to just enjoy being a Town fan in that moment.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Kris2
August 5, 2019, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Why does nobody seem to understand how the offside rule works lol. Morecombe used a dated tactic and paid for it. In no universe was it lucky or offside but not given. A simple google search could tell you that.

The second goal was also failed use of old tactics by the Keeper going up as an extra man. This stuff has been countered to death by now and nobody can blame bad luck on that.

It's one game into the season and who is getting ahead of anything? Who said Bradford would be an easy game? It's the mediocre to poor L2 teams like Morecombe we need to be picking up points from and as long as we win I don't care if mistakes were made.

I think the only one with unrealistic expectations of the team is the OP. Expects us to play top level football with inch perfect passes and zero mistakes lol.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
MarinerRob
August 5, 2019, 10:43pm
Snakebite drinker
"I think the only one with unrealistic expectations of the team is the OP"

Excuse my ignorance but what is the 'OP'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
heppy88
August 5, 2019, 10:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Well I've allowed myself to get excited and renewed my season ticket today. I'm feeling quietly optimistic  . UTM.
Also a quick mention about the person in the ticket office who I spoke with on the phone today. Polite, courteous and couldnt have been more helpful. Impressive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 11:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Original poster.

The thread starter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 11:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
You can only beat what's in front of you, to coin another perhaps unnecessary cliché.

But great to hear we at the races fitness wise after looking way off and labouring into the new season last time. Lessons learned it seems, and we sensed that with how the preseason was conducted.

As we all know, a good start can make all the difference in a tight division, be it at the top or bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
MarinerRob
August 5, 2019, 11:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted Text
I think the only one with unrealistic expectations of the team is the OP. Expects us to play top level football with inch perfect passes and zero mistakes lol.

What on earth makes you think that of me? I've been following Town since the days of Charlie Wright in the early 60's as a youngster. My parents took me down south in 1966 but I have always followed Town.

Grimsby are essentially a third - fourth division team with odd spells in the dizzy height of the second division. Do you really think if I wanted to see 'top level football with inch perfect passes and zero mistake' I would be folloiwing Town?

This will be my fourth year as a season ticket holder and travel over 200 miles each way for a home game. My only unrealistic expectation is that they may win a game every now and then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
promotion plaice
August 5, 2019, 11:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

The great thing about picking up three points on the opening day is that even if we now go on a bad run it will take another four or five games before we will get dragged into the relegation places or around them.

Takes the pressure off.  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
mariner91
August 5, 2019, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from moosey_club
i was kind of reminded of the recent Chesterfield away opening day where we didnt play well but still came away with a winning 2 goal margin....difference that day being Chesterfield were actually fancied to be up amongst  the promotion chasers that year which helped build our over enthusiasm whereas Morecambe aren't....so i really dont think anyone is getting fooled or carried away by a relatively uninspiring performance ( defensive solidity aside ) against perennial strugglers.

It was just one of those sunny away days to just enjoy being a Town fan in that moment.

Big difference between Saturday and against Chesterfield was the amount of shots. Chesterfield peppered us and had 30 shots with 13 being on target, Morecambe didn't manage a single shot on target and only had 8 attempts in total. I imagine we'll be comfortably better than that awful season this year.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
mariner91
August 5, 2019, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Big difference between Saturday and against Chesterfield was the amount of shots. Chesterfield peppered us and had 30 shots with 13 being on target, Morecambe didn't manage a single shot on target and only had 8 attempts in total. I imagine we'll be comfortably better than that awful season this year.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Abdul19
August 6, 2019, 6:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Mistakes in a 4th division match?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Ipswin
August 6, 2019, 7:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Unfortunately I still think scoring goals will be a problem that will hold us back to lower lower half

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
Marinerz93
August 6, 2019, 8:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerRob

I bet you are fun at parties.

Give a thought to the teams who have been promoted out of this league, winning ugly has been party to that, it's sign of a decent team. Will we get promoted, who knows, part of following a team is the highs and lows, you need to get out more and stop being a mood hoover.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
crusty ole pie
August 6, 2019, 8:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,310
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from MarinerRob

I would also say the shrimpers where targeting a draw all game never looked like scoring and in seasons past we would have failed to break down their stubborn defence and possibly lost conceding to their one only chance so let’s take the positives their was plenty and with the confidence of a good start we just don’t know what’s in store UTM X
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Mallyner
August 6, 2019, 9:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
From the extended highlights and excellent video taken, it looks to me that we have players who are proud to wear the shirt.

A big change from the days of Barry Condom.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
grimsby pete
August 6, 2019, 10:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
One thing I can say for certain is we are a lot happier than we were after last seasons opening game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
SheepGTFC
August 7, 2019, 2:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +283
Gold Stars: 6
Town are due some luck. I'd rather take 46 lucky wins than 46 undeserved losses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
ginnywings
August 7, 2019, 9:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
League 2 isn't about fast attacking one touch football, with spectacular goals. It's about being bigger, stronger, faster and fitter than the opposition, with a sprinkling of players who can take advantage of the oppositions mistakes. Lincoln got it spot on last season, and they were hardly a thrill a minute to watch. As much as MJ says he wants to play exciting attacking football, he'll settle for grinding out wins at places like Morecambe, a team we usually struggle to beat, home or away.

He has had a good look at what's required to be successful in this division, and i think we will be more direct than previous. Not pretty, but if we win more than we lose, no one will complain too much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 7, 2019, 9:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin
Unfortunately I still think scoring goals will be a problem that will hold us back to lower lower half

Quite so.

Salford scored an outstanding team goal on Saturday, flowing Buckleyesque move that could have come from the Scholes Book Of Passes. You would think they will score for fun but will they? And even if they do will they get promoted? I think you are right, we will struggle for goals in open play in spite of the new signings. The manager has at least made a Plan B by bringing in some physical presence and working on set pieces. I fancy we might sneak a game or two by the odd goal this year, even if undeserved on the run of play. Plus, he has two young quick forwards to either play or use as defences tire as with Wright. I don't think we can hope to play like Salford with the players we have but we may be a more effective points gathering unit than we were last year. Time will tell.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
scrumble
August 7, 2019, 9:59am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
This is all based on one game. I'm sure Salfords goal was good, but we also had that goal last year that was featured on SoccerAM. It doesn't mean they're going to do it every week, it doesn't mean we aren't capable of it either

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/1067892890607607808

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 7, 2019, 10:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from scrumble
This is all based on one game. I'm sure Salfords goal was good, but we also had that goal last year that was featured on SoccerAM. It doesn't mean they're going to do it every week, it doesn't mean we aren't capable of it either

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/1067892890607607808

It isn’t that we aren’t capable of it, it is that Salford is bound to have players more capable of it more often.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
Maringer
August 7, 2019, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Pre-season performances and the first game would tend to indicate we're going to be a team which can threaten from all sorts of set pieces where the ball is put into the box. Hanson, Ohman and Davis are all good at attacking the ball in the air as is Waterfall (assuming the rumours of him joining are correct - and not other rumours!). We've got Hewitt who reputedly has a decent long throw in addition to good crossing ability and, while we're not going to get in behind teams too much, we're likely to win a lot of corners, free-kicks and throw-ins in attacking areas to put the opposition under pressure.

This isn't a problem for me - providing it isn't our only threat - but you would certainly be correct to argue that Morecambe's error for the first goal came in part because of the pressure we had previously put them under from set pieces.

It will be interesting to see how many 'lucky' goals we score due to defensive errors by the opposition. It might be more than you'd imagine.

Strong and efficient seems to be a good way to get out of this division and initial signs seem to indicate that we're at least heading in the right direction this season. My only concerns are a relative lack of numbers (and I wonder how often Gibson will be fit to play as well) and perhaps the lack of pace throughout the team. You'd only really say that Rose and Wright have a real burst of pace, though Green and Vernam are obviously no slouches. Perhaps a little one-paced elsewhere, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
ginnywings
August 7, 2019, 1:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Maringer
Pre-season performances and the first game would tend to indicate we're going to be a team which can threaten from all sorts of set pieces where the ball is put into the box. Hanson, Ohman and Davis are all good at attacking the ball in the air as is Waterfall (assuming the rumours of him joining are correct - and not other rumours!). We've got Hewitt who reputedly has a decent long throw in addition to good crossing ability and, while we're not going to get in behind teams too much, we're likely to win a lot of corners, free-kicks and throw-ins in attacking areas to put the opposition under pressure.

This isn't a problem for me - providing it isn't our only threat - but you would certainly be correct to argue that Morecambe's error for the first goal came in part because of the pressure we had previously put them under from set pieces.

It will be interesting to see how many 'lucky' goals we score due to defensive errors by the opposition. It might be more than you'd imagine.

Strong and efficient seems to be a good way to get out of this division and initial signs seem to indicate that we're at least heading in the right direction this season. My only concerns are a relative lack of numbers (and I wonder how often Gibson will be fit to play as well) and perhaps the lack of pace throughout the team. You'd only really say that Rose and Wright have a real burst of pace, though Green and Vernam are obviously no slouches. Perhaps a little one-paced elsewhere, however.

You mention this a lot in your posts. Are we any slower than other sides? I think most teams have a mixture of faster and slower players, and i don't perceive that we are much different to any other sides in that regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
mariner91
August 7, 2019, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think as far as central midfielders go, our three are reasonably mobile.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Rik e B
August 7, 2019, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Not forgetting Ogbu to make his entrance at some point also, although he seemed a bit lost in the hole hopefully he can find his place in the equation somewhere soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
moosey_club
August 7, 2019, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Quite so.

Salford scored an outstanding team goal on Saturday, flowing Buckleyesque move that could have come from the Scholes Book Of Passes. You would think they will score for fun but will they? And even if they do will they get promoted? I think you are right, we will struggle for goals in open play in spite of the new signings. The manager has at least made a Plan B by bringing in some physical presence and working on set pieces. I fancy we might sneak a game or two by the odd goal this year, even if undeserved on the run of play. Plus, he has two young quick forwards to either play or use as defences tire as with Wright. I don't think we can hope to play like Salford with the players we have but we may be a more effective points gathering unit than we were last year. Time will tell.

From my viewings so far i think thats his Plan A this season....i think Plan B is bringing on the smaller more mobile players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
toontown
August 7, 2019, 8:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

From my viewings so far i think thats his Plan A this season....i think Plan B is bringing on the smaller more mobile players.

Agreed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
toontown
August 7, 2019, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You mention this a lot in your posts. Are we any slower than other sides? I think most teams have a mixture of faster and slower players, and i don't perceive that we are much different to any other sides in that regard.

I think the last few seasons we have been noticeably slower than most teams when breaking. I think we've lacked pace. Although I think we were often ponderous of thought in that regard too.

I don't think vernam is especially quick but last season he was still probably our quickest player.
Hopefully rose and Wright can help in this regard. Haven't seen ogbu but him as well maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
jamesgtfc
August 8, 2019, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
If you are going to utilise your quicker players they are better suited as a Plan B when the opposition have had a tough physical battle and are starting to tire. After 60/70 minutes battling with Hanson and Green, Wright and Rose will offer another problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Word of Caution

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.