4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
August 5, 2019, 8:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I was very happy for to see Town win on Saturday and to score two goals. A rare phenomenal event last season. However, Town played all right but certainly wasn't a stella earth shattering performance. I, for the record was happy with it and it was good to see a bit of strength and determination to their play.

But we were fortunate with both goals. The first goal - well I couldn't believe there were 6 Town players just in front of the goalie as Morecambe pulled forward to try to make us offside. When Whitehouse put the ball in the net I didn't even cheer and I thought that couldn't be a goal. I was very happy when the ref pointed to the centre spot.

The second goal was also fortunate. In the last few minutes all the Morecambe players were attacking (except 1 or 2) including their goalie. The ball ran to Clifton, I believe, who managed to kick it forward to Wright. He very calmly kept his nerve and went past their defender and slotted the ball home. Both goals were take very well.

However, Bradford will be a different kettle of fish. It won't be an easy game and I don't think anyone is saying it will be. All I am saying is to be careful and to temper our expectations. Lets hope for the best and another good result. It should be a great atmosphere.

I do believe that Town have got some very good players and with a little bit of luck you never know where we will end. I very much doubt it will be like the last two seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
August 5, 2019, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
I agree with mariner Bob. we are far from getting used to each other and will be prone to a few mistakes just like any team this early in the season. we should not fear Bradford at all  but be prepaired for a harder game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 8:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
All I'd say is if Morecambe wanted to take the risk of sending their keeper up at the death to try and get something from the game then that is their decision and not fortunate. It still took some quick play and composure to take advantage and punish them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
mimma
August 5, 2019, 8:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
When a keeper goes up for a corner in the last minute, it is quite rare for a defending team to break away and score. I can't remember a similar goal last season.

It is also worth noting that there were two Town players breaking forward to get the goal.

A sign of new attacking intent from the first to last minute?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 5, 2019, 8:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Given the level of expectancy the majority expressed on here before the season kicked off not sure one away win to a side who predominantly finish in the bottom four is going to get us putting the champagne on ice!!!

More startling to me is that over 1000 town fans actually attended the match which in all honesty is more remarkable then the away win given our form in the second half of last season and the aforementioned expectations. A great effort by fans and the team and long may both continue 😄😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
toontown
August 5, 2019, 9:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Would have likely been nil nil if they hadn't gifted us it with two goals. They tried to give us a 3rd bizarre goal but it was nipped off greens toes.

Decent battling performance against a side that's likely to be nearer the bottom than the top, but nothing to get carried away with. The main positive for me was Wright who really does look very useful going forward.
Rose looked improved and looked to have shaken off the hamstring issue that was hampering him last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Cricklewoodmariner
August 5, 2019, 9:18pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +322
Gold Stars: 7
Our passing was pretty poor at times although I'll reserve judgement on the team until we are a few games into the season. Having a tough game against Morecambe (no offense) who will likely be near the bottom of the league like they have been for the past six years doesn't suggest we are going to have a stellar season. We didn't have an amazing transfer window either. But I live in hope and I think we will end up mid table.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
chaos33
August 5, 2019, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Err yeah cheers. I’m much the wiser now.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
moosey_club
August 5, 2019, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from MarinerRob
I was very happy for to see Town win on Saturday and to score two goals. A rare phenomenal event last season. However, Town played all right but certainly wasn't a stella earth shattering performance. I, for the record was happy with it and it was good to see a bit of strength and determination to their play.

But we were fortunate with both goals. The first goal - well I couldn't believe there were 6 Town players just in front of the goalie as Morecambe pulled forward to try to make us offside. When Whitehouse put the ball in the net I didn't even cheer and I thought that couldn't be a goal. I was very happy when the ref pointed to the centre spot.

The second goal was also fortunate. In the last few minutes all the Morecambe players were attacking (except 1 or 2) including their goalie. The ball ran to Clifton, I believe, who managed to kick it forward to Wright. He very calmly kept his nerve and went past their defender and slotted the ball home. Both goals were take very well.

However, Bradford will be a different kettle of fish. It won't be an easy game and I don't think anyone is saying it will be. All I am saying is to be careful and to temper our expectations. Lets hope for the best and another good result. It should be a great atmosphere.

I do believe that Town have got some very good players and with a little bit of luck you never know where we will end. I very much doubt it will be like the last two seasons.

So are you saying that i was ill advised to get the "GTFC 2019/20 League 2 Invincibles" tattoo in Blackpool on Saturday night ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 9:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Tbh I don't think people are getting too carried away other than being happy we won. This breeds a bit of positivity just like a loss brings a little short term negativity (so long as losing doesn't continue!).

Like all the sensible managers say: 'Don't get to up when we win and don't get too down if we lose.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Word of Caution

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.