10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2019, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Nick Dale isn’t losing his job, stadium has improved substantially under his tenure. Takeover still possible but no proof of funds. This raises a simple question- when you’re selling something, isn’t proof of funds one of the first things you check?
Private Message
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 3, 2019, 4:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
But to be fair from what has been revealed thus far this is what JF’s stance has been throughout and he has never disclosed sale was imminent. Believe he was interviewed Christmas time (?) and he said at that time there had been interest but he had never been satisfied funding was available.

Was told all about the new ground and getting approval for that but why is a mystery to me for all the reasons about paying for the stadium that have been raised on this forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 97
Meza
August 3, 2019, 5:29pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
I wonder if the delay is shutes waiting for the thumbs up from purchasing land for the new stadium on the docks 🤔.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2019, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Nick Dale isn’t losing his job, stadium has improved substantially under his tenure. Takeover still possible but no proof of funds. This raises a simple question- when you’re selling something, isn’t proof of funds one of the first things you check?

I don't understand this at all. Fenty wants to sell, Shutes wants to buy. Set a deadline for when a deal must be reached at a price suitable to both parties or its all off.

The "proof" Fenty is looking for is when the sale happens, or more likely fails.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 97
Rik e B
August 3, 2019, 6:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Well Tom Shutes is on Companies House as worth minus 1.7 million... He probably needs additional investors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 97
golfer
August 3, 2019, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I have £1 47p in my bank account so that makes me £1,700,001.  47p better off than Shutes.  Any football clubs out there to buy ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 97
TheRealJohnLewis
August 3, 2019, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Rik e B
Well Tom Shutes is on Companies House as worth minus 1.7 million... He probably needs additional investors.

That's the net worth of his companies, not his personal wealth.  Two completely different entities.  

I very much doubt he'll be investing with ever of his personal wealth of the wealth of those companies.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 97
mimma
August 3, 2019, 7:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78

I don't understand this at all. Fenty wants to sell, Shutes wants to buy. Set a deadline for when a deal must be reached at a price suitable to both parties or its all off.

The "proof" Fenty is looking for is when the sale happens, or more likely fails.

So you think that Fenty should just step aside and let someone take over and hope they have the funds.

Fenty is doing everything right in making sure that he has money to back up the rhetoric.  Clubs have been ruined by being sold to the first person to come along with grand ideas but no money to carry them out. Remember the Notts County debacle when they paid Eriksson and Sol Campbell a fortune before finding out they hadn't got the funds to pay for them?

Look where they are now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 97
Kris2
August 3, 2019, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Rik e B

That's just a measurement of assets vs debt that doesn't include annual turnover. That's all net worth really is, somebody who is a billionaire doesn't have billions in their bank account, it's all tied up in assets and investments.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 97
golfer
August 3, 2019, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Kris2

That's just a measurement of assets vs debt that doesn't include annual turnover. That's all net worth really is, somebody who is a billionaire doesn't have billions in their bank account, it's all tied up in assets and investments.

So what does he buy the club with and provide the reddies for running the club. I am sure that JSF wants cash for his loans and shares
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 97
rancido
August 3, 2019, 7:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from golfer

So what does he buy the club with and provide the reddies for running the club. I am sure that JSF wants cash for his loans and shares

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 97
rancido
August 3, 2019, 7:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Didn't the Glaziers buy Manure with loans?

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2019, 7:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma

So you think that Fenty should just step aside and let someone take over and hope they have the funds.

Fenty is doing everything right in making sure that he has money to back up the rhetoric.  Clubs have been ruined by being sold to the first person to come along with grand ideas but no money to carry them out. Remember the Notts County debacle when they paid Eriksson and Sol Campbell a fortune before finding out they hadn't got the funds to pay for them?

Look where they are now.

Oh come on! Fenty wants his money back, and Shutes wants to buy the club. What business is it of Fenty what Shutes proposes in the future?

Set a deadline and then if the price is agreed the deal goes through. Shutes is not going to divulge how many other investors he may have lined up is he, or Fenty will up the price.

Everything is a risk; getting out of bed in the morning carries a risk, but if this is the best chance of getting rid of Fenty and co. then we should take it.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 97
Malta_Mariner_90
August 3, 2019, 7:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from rancido

Didn't the Glaziers buy Manure with loans?

True, if only any lending institution would just realise the profits Grimsby would make post Fenty!

They would be queuing at the door to lend Shutes the money!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 97
mimma
August 3, 2019, 7:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Loans to buy a club with a billion pound turnover and was rising.

Might be a bit different when buying a club with a £10,000 turnover!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 97
Ipswin
August 3, 2019, 7:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I got absolutely slated weeks ago when I suggested Shutes hadn't got a pot to urine in and then again when I suggested he needed to have money to invest in the team not just buying Fenty out and finally when I said that it appeared more and more that he might be having difficulties finding others to come in and finance / fund the deal.

Still hope I'm wrong on all three but it's looking increasingly like Shutes guaranteeing the money is the problem and if there is any doubt whatsoever I hope Fenty kills the deal, too many clubs have been bought out / taken over by those bearing nowt but promises and have quickly found themselves up excrement street.

The danger is I suppose that Shutes (and his unknown contacts) put up enough to satisfy / pay off Fenty and then there's nowt else cash wise. Fenty wouldn't sell us out just to get his money, would he?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2019, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
I got absolutely slated weeks ago when I suggested Shutes hadn't got a pot to urine in and then again when I suggested he needed to have money to invest in the team not just buying Fenty out and finally when I said that it appeared more and more that he might be having difficulties finding others to come in and finance / fund the deal.

Still hope I'm wrong on all three but it's looking increasingly like Shutes guaranteeing the money is the problem and if there is any doubt whatsoever I hope Fenty kills the deal, too many clubs have been bought out / taken over by those bearing nowt but promises and have quickly found themselves up excrement street.

The danger is I suppose that Shutes (and his unknown contacts) put up enough to satisfy / pay off Fenty and then there's nowt else cash wise. Fenty wouldn't sell us out just to get his money, would he?

Its probably that the price is too high. Nobody is going to pay Fenty what he thinks he is owed  after 18 years of failure.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 97
Malta_Mariner_90
August 3, 2019, 7:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +796

Its probably that the price is too high. Nobody is going to pay Fenty what he thinks he is owed  after 18 years of failure.

Problem is he does not think he has failed in any way far from it in fact.

The fact that Nick Dale keeps his job after the club incurred a 15k fine after the Port Vale incident tells you all you need to know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2019, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Problem is he does not think he has failed in any way far from it in fact.

The fact that Nick Dale keeps his job after the club incurred a 15k fine after the Port Vale incident tells you all you need to know.

Not only that he said Dale had done a wonderful job with the stadium as anyone would see when they looked around, or words to that effect.

This is the trouble with Fenty - his ambition is zero. I know interviews don't win football matches but Mr. Fenty is a terrible advert for the club. Todays interview was just a mish mash of sound bites and cliches. It is a good job it is John Tondeur not Andrew Neil doing the interview.

The club captain and longest serving player had "hauled the club over the coals" according to Mr. Fenty's reading of the contract talks. It beggars belief that he should say such a thing.

Anyway, at this moment in time, quite frankly, at the end of the day, what can we do about it but wait till we have new owners?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 97
HertsGTFC
August 3, 2019, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
You’d think he’d have learned to keep his gob shut by now, especially after a long record of gaffs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 97
KingstonMariner
August 3, 2019, 9:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

What money has Fenty put into the club for years? Eff all apart from loans and he’s taken more out in recent years (thank Christ for small mercies).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 97
Davec
August 3, 2019, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
That what Fenty said about Mckeown, if I was Mckeown I wouldn't be very happy with it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2019, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He now takes out more than he puts in. He interlaced his cliches with a bit of a dig at Macca and continues to support the stadium manager who made a totally irrational attack on the supporters. And people wonder why we need a change?

As for the tyre kicker comment? Well it takes one to know one.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 97
Bigdog
August 3, 2019, 10:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I just want better for our club than John Fenty. His arrogance and ignorance know no bounds and surrounds himself with incompetent yes men like ND who fawn all over him. Time for a change and the all round betterment of our club. The hold up won't be precisely what he says which was proof of funds, he's just in the last throes of "big fish in a small pond, owner of a football club, willy waving"..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 97
Rodley Mariner
August 3, 2019, 10:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I don't really get the McKeown comments. What did he actually say?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 97
bawarmy
August 3, 2019, 10:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from golfer
I have £1 47p in my bank account so that makes me £1,700,001.  47p better off than Shutes.  Any football clubs out there to buy ?

Bury if you want change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2019, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't really get the McKeown comments. What did he actually say?

Something along the lines of “he hauled us over the coals over an extension “ - just another cliche in four and a half minutes of cliches.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 97
Swansea_Mariner
August 3, 2019, 10:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
What was the context, was it a pop at Macca or just a quip of sorts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 97
Rik e B
August 3, 2019, 11:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Unprofessional arrogant clangers left right and centre. Par for the course unfortunately 🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2019, 11:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
What was the context, was it a pop at Macca or just a quip of sorts?

JT asked a positive question about how good it was that Macca had got an extension.  Instead of saying yes we are delighted he said he had hauled the club over the coals. I took that to mean Macca had negotiated hard. Why JT doesn't ask a follow up question and ask him to explain himself I have no idea.

Everything he says has a money element to it, or rather what money he would like to save.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 97
Cricklewoodmariner
August 3, 2019, 11:20pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +322
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Disappointing but then again we are used to it with Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
RichMariner
August 4, 2019, 12:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Shame Fenty had to say that. The guy has no filter. He lacks emotion and is totally driven by money.

He also doesn't have much of a memory because, if mine's correct, he hauled poor old John McDermott over the coals to get him playing for pretty much nothing when he'd achieved legendary status.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
1mickylyons
August 4, 2019, 6:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

If he hasn`t got enough to part with 2-3M maximum to buy the Club then he probably isn`t what we need unless he has loads of other investors?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 97
August 4, 2019, 7:04am
Guest User
So what is the big hold up with the Takeover???

Is Shutes messing around??
Is it Fenty putting unreasonable conditions in place? (Lifetime director, 100% everything he has ever put in, Statue outside the new ground

From the outside, it certainly doesn’t look likely anymore!!

GTFC, probs me wrong, PLEASE!!!!

UTM
Reply: 33 - 97
1mickylyons
August 4, 2019, 7:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 1542
So what is the big hold up with the Takeover???

Is Shutes messing around??
Is it Fenty putting unreasonable conditions in place? (Lifetime director, 100% everything he has ever put in, Statue outside the new ground

From the outside, it certainly doesn’t look likely anymore!!

GTFC, probs me wrong, PLEASE!!!!

UTM

I would imagine it`s like you say a bit of allsorts but for the good of the Club the last week has served as a timely reminder why we need rid of Fenty and I wish more had voted with there feet regards Season tickets. FENTY OUT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
rancido
August 4, 2019, 7:44am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I would imagine it`s like you say a bit of allsorts but for the good of the Club the last week has served as a timely reminder why we need rid of Fenty and I wish more had voted with there feet regards Season tickets. FENTY OUT

Of course it could be argued that the fewer season tickets are sold would make he club less attractive to a future investor. It's ok some fans seeing this as a means of forcing the issue but future buyers/investors just look at balance sheets.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2019, 8:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
If only we did do all of our PR on the pitch  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
RoboCod
August 4, 2019, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Something along the lines of “he hauled us over the coals over an extension “ - just another cliche in four and a half minutes of cliches.

My thoughts exactly. A cliche in every sentence. He sounds bored and churlish, the countdown to Fexit goes on and my celebratory bottle remains on ice.
Can't come quickly enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
1mickylyons
August 4, 2019, 9:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Of course it could be argued that the fewer season tickets are sold would make he club less attractive to a future investor. It's ok some fans seeing this as a means of forcing the issue but future buyers/investors just look at balance sheets.

Well then they will be no better than the current owner that`s what he does . Whilst Fenty has many faults he has done a great job in regards to the budget and staying within means my main gripe in regards to that is he constantly fails to recognise the need for change which would increase gates. As a fan I dont see what else I can do to show my dissatisfaction with him and his regime I don`t like the idea of protests at games which would affect the players so a drop in ST sales will send him a message alright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
1mickylyons
August 4, 2019, 9:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
If only we did do all of our PR on the pitch  

Aye if only.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
Croxton
August 4, 2019, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33
Just listened to the full interview on JT's Twitter. Yes, the 'hauling over the coals' is an odd expression but who thinks that Macca would be shy of demanding an upgrade after his contribution last year? Senior players with families value security as much as cash.

Cliches are the norm for sports interviews. On the way back I listened to a Radio Lancs. interview with a Bury fan who had gone to the ground yesterday for 3.00 p.m. His comments about the owner were revealing. Apparently, he is an eloquent and convincing speaker but his words are not supported by his actions.

I am no Fenty fan but we have to trust his comments for what they are until events prove otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 97
Marinerz93
August 4, 2019, 10:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Since when has Fenty ever given an interview and not had a dig at anyone. He uses the media to get one over anyone who he feels has crossed him, which always comes over as crass.

As much as there needs to be proof of funding there should also be proof of handling the media and PR, Fenty has failed too many times in this regard and all media interaction should be done by the Chief Executive, instead of him making John cuppa's and sandwiches.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 97
sam gy
August 4, 2019, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from RichMariner
Shame Fenty had to say that. The guy has no filter. He lacks emotion and is totally driven by money.

It’s almost as if he’s a Tory.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 97
headingly_mariner
August 4, 2019, 10:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
I think it’s worth taking many of the comments with a pinch of salt. He’s always been a confusing and clumsy speaker.
To be fair to him he was quite complimentary about McKeown and how he deserved the deal after the coals comment.

That said I think there will be more to the takeover than proof of funds. He always provides a very onesided version of the truth.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 97
TheRealJohnLewis
August 4, 2019, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I'm calling bullshit on this.  Investors do not just look at balance sheets! What about whether the company is under performing and has ton of potential to do better? Which is the case with GTFC, where there is massive potential to be better than we currently are.  If it was balance sheet alone we would be worth negative £500k.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 97
Ipswin
August 4, 2019, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Where can I read / listen to this interview please?

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 97
rancido
August 4, 2019, 11:45am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well then they will be no better than the current owner that`s what he does . Whilst Fenty has many faults he has done a great job in regards to the budget and staying within means my main gripe in regards to that is he constantly fails to recognise the need for change which would increase gates. As a fan I dont see what else I can do to show my dissatisfaction with him and his regime I don`t like the idea of protests at games which would affect the players so a drop in ST sales will send him a message alright.

But he has the message and he wants out, that's why he is in negotiations with a prospective buyer. Like you say , he has balanced the books and kept within a budget. But by boycotting season ticket sales you are effectively reducing the budget, potentially jeopardising our league status and making us less attractive to potential buyers.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 97
ska face
August 4, 2019, 1:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
So fans should continue to hand their cash over for Fenty to p1ss it up the wall, and be treated like dirt while they do so, just to help him get his money back?

A particularly dim comment, even for you.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 97
Croxton
August 4, 2019, 1:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Ipswin
Where can I read / listen to this interview please?

/twitter.com/JohnTondeur?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

or just Google John Tondeur Twitter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 97
RichMariner
August 4, 2019, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Croxton
I am no Fenty fan but we have to trust his comments for what they are until events prove otherwise.

But this is the problem. Do you believe Fenty, or his version of events?

He claimed Hurst left because the fans drunk him off. Turns out he left because Fenty failed to back him once he got us promoted.

He sacked both Newell and Woods literally 24 hours after issuing statements to say they were going nowhere.

There’s the Fenty version and then there’s the truth. After almost two decades of his clumsy and appalling leadership, he shouldn’t really be surprised that the majority of us don’t trust a word he says.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 49 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2019, 3:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton
Just listened to the full interview on JT's Twitter. Yes, the 'hauling over the coals' is an odd expression but who thinks that Macca would be shy of demanding an upgrade after his contribution last year? Senior players with families value security as much as cash.

Cliches are the norm for sports interviews. On the way back I listened to a Radio Lancs. interview with a Bury fan who had gone to the ground yesterday for 3.00 p.m. His comments about the owner were revealing. Apparently, he is an eloquent and convincing speaker but his words are not supported by his actions.

I am no Fenty fan but there’s plenty of evidence to suggest he only tells us stuff that he thinks we want/need to know.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 97
diehardmariner
August 5, 2019, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
The comment about the takeover delay doesn't really concern me.   I think any hopes that the deal would be completed quickly were just that.  These things do take time and truth be told I think the real delay is already in the hot-seat.  Shutes has already invested in the area, he's already got some skin in the game so I don't really see what he would gain from either 'tyre kicking' or coming to the table without the funds.

The stuff about Nick Dale doesn't surprise me one bit.  Much like the Steve Wraith comments last season.  This is a club employee openly slagging off the fan base, the people who pay their wages and receiving no reprimand for it.  But it's ok because according to JF they're doing a good job....are they though?  Are they really doing a good job or just enough to satisfy his ambition of the club plodding along.  This is exactly why we need a new owner.  Someone with a slight bit of vision to realise that football has moved on in the last 25 years and we need to respond accordingly.   Fenty didn't just talk about funds in terms of him getting his pay-off, he mentioned funds to run the football club....we don't need funding.  We don't need funding now and we're run like a bag of spuds.  Imagine if we were run better!   This sums Fenty up to a tee, he just doesn't get it.   I think his ego has become so inflated that he can't actually contemplate the thought that we could survive without him.

The McKeown comment was a disgrace.  Nothing less.  Absolutely no need for it and totally unwarranted.  Jolley will have spent a large part of the summer trying to build morale and spirit in the dressing room, idiot comments like that can undo all that work in seconds.  
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 5, 2019, 10:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
The comment about the takeover delay doesn't really concern me.   I think any hopes that the deal would be completed quickly were just that.  These things do take time and truth be told I think the real delay is already in the hot-seat.  Shutes has already invested in the area, he's already got some skin in the game so I don't really see what he would gain from either 'tyre kicking' or coming to the table without the funds.

The stuff about Nick Dale doesn't surprise me one bit.  Much like the Steve Wraith comments last season.  This is a club employee openly slagging off the fan base, the people who pay their wages and receiving no reprimand for it.  But it's ok because according to JF they're doing a good job....are they though?  Are they really doing a good job or just enough to satisfy his ambition of the club plodding along.  This is exactly why we need a new owner.  Someone with a slight bit of vision to realise that football has moved on in the last 25 years and we need to respond accordingly.   Fenty didn't just talk about funds in terms of him getting his pay-off, he mentioned funds to run the football club....we don't need funding.  We don't need funding now and we're run like a bag of spuds.  Imagine if we were run better!   This sums Fenty up to a tee, he just doesn't get it.   I think his ego has become so inflated that he can't actually contemplate the thought that we could survive without him.

The McKeown comment was a disgrace.  Nothing less.  Absolutely no need for it and totally unwarranted.  Jolley will have spent a large part of the summer trying to build morale and spirit in the dressing room, idiot comments like that can undo all that work in seconds.  

I think you have nailed it. Just who does he think he is? Talk of tyre kickers, demanding proof of funds for the future running of the club when he himself is reliant on fans' money and is only the backstop, and is by all accounts taking his money back, and saying our captain has hauled the club over the coals when anybody else would call it a negotiation.

I love people with egos who can deliver a project, take people with them and do things for the greater good. What I don't like, is people who think they are the bees knees when everyone else can see things as they really are.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 97
Madeleymariner
August 5, 2019, 12:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,046
Gold Stars: 49
Fenty didn't just talk about funds in terms of him getting his pay-off, he mentioned funds to run the football club....we don't need funding.

We do need funding to run the football club, what happens if there is suddenly a £20k bill for something unplanned, ongoing upkeep of a crumbling stadium £15k fines for failing to keep crowd control etc.
Of course we need regular income above what we get now to improve the team/toilets/bars/pitch etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2019, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Fenty didn't just talk about funds in terms of him getting his pay-off, he mentioned funds to run the football club....we don't need funding.

We do need funding to run the football club, what happens if there is suddenly a £20k bill for something unplanned, ongoing upkeep of a crumbling stadium £15k fines for failing to keep crowd control etc.
Of course we need regular income above what we get now to improve the team/toilets/bars/pitch etc.

Unless you’re Salford or Scunthorpe, you’re only supposed to spend 55% of your income on players budget leaving 45% to spend on administration staff and infrastructure. Gate receipts and sponsorships are not going to miraculously disappear when the club is taken over.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 97
jamesgtfc
August 5, 2019, 1:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Unless you’re Salford or Scunthorpe, you’re only supposed to spend 55% of your income on players budget leaving 45% to spend on administration staff and infrastructure. Gate receipts and sponsorships are not going to miraculously disappear when the club is taken over.

You can soon get creative with that though by naming your North Lincolnshire stadium after your hotel in Blackpool.

The attraction of match day entertainment in a dilapidated ground does make it hard but we need someone creative. Young's have sponsored our shirts for some time and it is great that a major force in the local economy are involved but do we get a good deal?

I would be interested to know if we have turned away any prospective sponsors in the last few years and the reasons for that. Some teams have a separate sponsor for the away kit and it may present an opportunity to increase overall revenue from sponsorship.

Also, players could walk out past a large sponsored board that is taken away before kick off. As part of the deal, every home highlights video would show that board. We just need to be creative. Part of being creative is removing the dead wood. We have some very creative people involved at the minute who with the right direction and more creative people around them can make a difference.

That Matchday Moments video from Saturday is absolutely brilliant and shows what we can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 97
Gaffer58
August 5, 2019, 3:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
I would suspect that Macca is quite disappointed with Mr Fenty's " over the coals" comment, as pay negotiations should be completely confidential between the 2 parties, he probably didn't even let on to the rest of the squad he was in negotiation, now the whole world and his brother knows.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 97
diehardmariner
August 5, 2019, 3:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

That's why you create a rainy day fund and use it appropriately.    Of course you cannot budget exactly for infrastructure failing but you account for it, you allocate money for it and if you don't spend it, great.  

If you take away the money paid back to Fenty over the past few years, we've made a profit.  A tidy profit too for a club at this level.  That is in spite, not because, of the fact that we're run like an old boys club.  

There's no need for us to have any sort of benefactor.  Our core support is more than enough sustain a higher mid-table League Two side.  I would be willing to bet the first few games after any departure of Fenty would be met with increased ticket sales.  If the club begins to do its job properly and look after the fans and making them feel valued, a lot of those would stay.  That's extra revenue.   Bit in the reserves, bit reinvested into the club.  Better budget - better players - better results - more fans through the gate - more money....and repeat until the end of time.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 97
mimma
August 5, 2019, 4:01pm
Brandy Drinker

That's why you create a rainy day fund and use it appropriately.    Of course you cannot budget exactly for infrastructure failing but you account for it, you allocate money for it and if you don't spend it, great.  

If you take away the money paid back to Fenty over the past few years, we've made a profit.  A tidy profit too for a club at this level.  That is in spite, not because, of the fact that we're run like an old boys club.  

There's no need for us to have any sort of benefactor.  Our core support is more than enough sustain a higher mid-table League Two side. I would be willing to bet the first few games after any departure of Fenty would be met with increased ticket sales.  If the club begins to do its job properly and look after the fans and making them feel valued, a lot of those would stay.  That's extra revenue.   Bit in the reserves, bit reinvested into the club.  Better budget - better players - better results - more fans through the gate - more money....and repeat until the end of time.

Is that as high as you want to go?
We need investment in our training facilities as well as a new ground. Our core support does not cover these as well as buying and paying better players.
There are more better funded clubs in the conference waiting to come up which with their money will push us further down the league pyramid  
For all his faults Fenty has put in what he can afford, but he doesn't have the personal wealth to put in what we need and can't find someone to take us further. We just aren't attractive enough to potential investors. Our only hope is for a local self made millionaire to take over and invest some of their fortune in Town. That doesn't look likely so we are left where we are.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 97
pen penfras
August 5, 2019, 4:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No, but a bad run of games and the gate receipts will quickly drop. It's a fine balancing act getting the budget high enough to be competitive but not so high that you risk losing a fortune if things don't go well on the pitch. It's not a position I'd like to be in!

As far as I understand it, the EFL require somebody to underwrite the club's accounts in the case of something going wrong and have to demonstrate they have the required funding to do this. It's not a case that we necessarily need the money, but it needs to be done.

As for the comment about Macca, it seems a strange thing to say and I didn't hear the interview, but maybe there's an element of respect in what he said as a tough negotiator and somebody bartered with him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2019, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

No, but a bad run of games and the gate receipts will quickly drop. It's a fine balancing act getting the budget high enough to be competitive but not so high that you risk losing a fortune if things don't go well on the pitch. It's not a position I'd like to be in!

As far as I understand it, the EFL require somebody to underwrite the club's accounts in the case of something going wrong and have to demonstrate they have the required funding to do this. It's not a case that we necessarily need the money, but it needs to be done.

As for the comment about Macca, it seems a strange thing to say and I didn't hear the interview, but maybe there's an element of respect in what he said as a tough negotiator and somebody bartered with him?

Reading between the lines then, JF puts a £200k shortfall fund in place and draws it back if we don’t need it?
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 97
pen penfras
August 5, 2019, 6:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Reading between the lines then, JF puts a £200k shortfall fund in place and draws it back if we don’t need it?

I'm not sure how it works, but he guarantees the overdraft to the banks, which I believe is quite a bit more than £200k. I don't understand how clubs get in so much more mess like Bury did, but they clearly aren't following the rules.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
Ipswin
August 5, 2019, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So we are, potentially, even more (and still) indebted to John Fenty?

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 6:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Hmmm, don't the accounts for last few years show Fenty has only withdrawn money and not put anything in? 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
rancido
August 5, 2019, 7:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
Hmmm, don't the accounts for last few years show Fenty has only withdrawn money and not put anything in? 🤔

To cover the amount he has put in due to loans, most of which were to keep the club going .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
Ipswin
August 5, 2019, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B

Yes I believe so (but then the less he's owed the less any potential buyer has to pay him) but now Golfer suggests he stands as guarantor (again) for a further £200K

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
rancido
August 5, 2019, 8:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes I believe so (but then the less he's owed the less any potential buyer has to pay him) but now Golfer suggests he stands as guarantor (again) for a further £200K

I may be wrong but doesn't the club have to have a guarantor to satisfy the bank overdraft? I'm not from a financial/ commercial background so I have no understanding how these things work.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
Ipswin
August 5, 2019, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I may be wrong but doesn't the club have to have a guarantor to satisfy the bank overdraft? I'm not from a financial/ commercial background so I have no understanding how these things work.

I always thought Fenty was our guarantor

Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
Bigdog
August 5, 2019, 8:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I'm fairly sure the club's bank account is in credit by a few hundred thou (balance of Bogle money), so last reports stated that currently there wasn't any need for a guarantor as there wasn't an overdraft..

700k in credit this time last year..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
pen penfras
August 5, 2019, 8:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm fairly sure the club's bank account is in credit by a few hundred thou (balance of Bogle money), so last reports stated that currently there wasn't any need for a guarantor as there wasn't an overdraft..

You need a guarantor to have the option of an overdraft, it doesn't mean we use it. Obviously we don't right now, but if there wasn't somebody to be that guarantor and our balance went to zero, then bills stop getting paid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 97
CodHeadMentality
August 6, 2019, 4:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -14
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
But to be fair from what has been revealed thus far this is what JF’s stance has been throughout and he has never disclosed sale was imminent. Believe he was interviewed Christmas time (?) and he said at that time there had been interest but he had never been satisfied funding was available.

Was told all about the new ground and getting approval for that but why is a mystery to me for all the reasons about paying for the stadium that have been raised on this forum.

Fenty has been waiting on proof of funds from the beginning. Shutes has declined to provide this so the question is why if he has genuine interest in investing in our great club?

Fair play to Fenty who gets plenty of stick from us is not just selling to bail out but is genuinely looking after the clubs best interests by wanting an investor who has ambitions to grow the club not asset strip it. Come on Shutes, put your money where your mouth is!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 97
TheRealJohnLewis
August 6, 2019, 4:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
If I was a betting man I'd say this was Fenty just being difficult and expecting the world, and not really wanting to give up his train set.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 97
Bigdog
August 6, 2019, 4:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from CodHeadMentality

Fenty has been waiting on proof of funds from the beginning. Shutes has declined to provide this so the question is why if he has genuine interest in investing in our great club?

Fair play to Fenty who gets plenty of stick from us is not just selling to bail out but is genuinely looking after the clubs best interests by wanting an investor who has ambitions to grow the club not asset strip it. Come on Shutes, put your money where your mouth is!

Some big assumptions there seen as though JF only stated he was waiting for proof of funds if the club took a downturn. Lots of factors could be in play and JF can be economical with exact truths on occasions to suit his own agenda.

And as for being scared of someone asset stripping GTFC, we haven’t got any assets to speak of just historical debt, and if someone’s looking to sort those debts out, they should be afforded a lot more respect..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 97
TwoLeftFeet
August 6, 2019, 5:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Has it been confirmed yet if Shutes has passed the EFL fit and proper person test if the deal has got that far yet.. don't they look into the background and funds available?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2019, 5:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from CodHeadMentality

We've been waiting on proof of improvement for God knows how long.

Regards the club's best interests, I'm not sure how six years in the non-league were in the club's best interests.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 97
RoboCod
August 6, 2019, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
If I was a betting man I'd say this was Fenty just being difficult and expecting the world, and not really wanting to give up his train set.

I'd say Team Fenty just bolstered their squad by one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 97
KingstonMariner
August 6, 2019, 5:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Has it been confirmed yet if Shutes has passed the EFL fit and proper person test if the deal has got that far yet.. don't they look into the background and funds available?

It looks like the Grim Tel’s report that he had was premature. Normally the club being sold asks the FL to conduct the test when the deal has been done (subject to the test being passed).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 97
ska face
August 6, 2019, 5:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
Fenty’s primary concern is DEFINITELY Shutes being able to fund the ongoing success of the club, and not getting his £2.5m loans back, no siree!

If Shutes offered him £2.5m cash tomorrow he’d be out of here quicker than you can say “devalued product”.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 97
KingstonMariner
August 6, 2019, 5:41pm
Meths Drinker
What I’d like to know about Shutes is, if someone scratched his car, would he feel it important to tell a meeting with supporters  what the car cost him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 97
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2019, 6:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ska face
Fenty’s primary concern is DEFINITELY Shutes being able to fund the ongoing success of the club, and not getting his £2.5m loans back, no siree!

If Shutes offered him £2.5m cash tomorrow he’d be out of here quicker than you can say “devalued product”.

This! It’s not an ethical stance it’s about money.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 97
Ipswin
August 6, 2019, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

This! It’s not an ethical stance it’s about money.

I don't give a flying intercourse what it's really about but if it stops someone without a pot to urine in gaining control of the club but not being able to invest anything then I'm all for it. Too many Burys, Boltons etc around thank you

Private Message
Reply: 80 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2019, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't give a flying intercourse what it's really about but if it stops someone without a pot to urine in gaining control of the club but not being able to invest anything then I'm all for it. Too many Burys, Boltons etc around thank you

If I were you, I'd go back to the beginning of this thread, listen to the interview again and then convince me that you want Mr Fenty to continue running this club into the ground future.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 97
TheRealJohnLewis
August 6, 2019, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I obviously don't speak for everyone, but surely we don't want a money man throwing money at the club recklessly, we want someone with a long term vision, to grow the club across Lincolnshire, and with growth will come extra revenue sources, which in term leads to a better youth program, which leads to more sales of players.  Someone like Andy Holt at Accrington Stanley, who is slowly but surely building a community club, yes he has thrown some of his own money at the club, but he never wants it back, but the way he is going about business is marvelous.  So as long as the can pay JF off and get him out of the club and have a little reserve, then i'm happy.  

We don't need money, as we are making are making £200k profit a year and have balance books, we need vision more.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 97
Ipswin
August 6, 2019, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If I were you, I'd go back to the beginning of this thread, listen to the interview again and then convince me that you want Mr Fenty to continue running this club into the ground future.

Don't need to sunbeam, my opinion is as my earlier post in fact I wouldn't be surprised if what a new owner intends to put in to the club rather than simply buying JF out is what is holding things up.

Say what you like about the bloke, I don't think JF is going to hand over to just anyone

Private Message
Reply: 83 - 97
August 7, 2019, 4:28am
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

Don't need to sunbeam, my opinion is as my earlier post in fact I wouldn't be surprised if what a new owner intends to put in to the club rather than simply buying JF out is what is holding things up.

Say what you like about the bloke, I don't think JF is going to hand over to just anyone

No chance!! The thing that will be holding things up is what JF can get out of it for himself!! Conditions such as lifelong place on the board etc. He still needs to be able to feed his ego across Lincolnshire.

As much as he is a fan, I don’t buy into the fact that his interests are all about the best custodian for the Club going forward.

Just conjecture but I think he is the one that is holding things up with his ‘conditions!’
Reply: 84 - 97
Rik e B
August 7, 2019, 4:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Paying Fenty off the number 1 stickler I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 97
RoboCod
August 7, 2019, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

I'd say Team Fenty just bolstered their squad by one.

Wow, look at those red crosses on the and other even mildly Fenty-critical posts.

Bye Fishy, killed by the petty and overbearing Fenty disease, just like he club itself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
August 7, 2019, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Wow, look at those red crosses on the and other even mildly Fenty-critical posts.

Bye Fishy, killed by the petty and overbearing Fenty disease, just like he club itself.

You make a valid point but this is why Fenty must go asap. We win on the opening day and it is all overshadowed by his crass interview.

It is Fenty causing the problems not the fans/posters.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 97
ginnywings
August 7, 2019, 9:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I thought the 'hauled over the coals' comment was ace, as it gave me a full house at my game of Fenty cliche bingo. We all know the guy talks in cliches, and i just think he pulled the wrong one out of his considerable repertoire. I'm surprised he didn't use ' throwing the baby out with the bathwater'- a particular favourite. He does have a knack for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 97
Civvy at last
August 7, 2019, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,202
Gold Stars: 131
I think the sad thing is that most people (me included) have pretty much lost faith in John Fenty.
So because we don’t hear anything from the other side involved in the bid we assume any delays are his fault. Personally I think it’s a bit harsh.  I said before the start of the season it would be a while. So I’m not too surprised nothing has happened yet. Purely my personal opinion, I suspect it’s all linked with regards to a new stadium. If the takeover does go ahead I don’t think it will be too long before an announcement regarding plans for said stadium to go ahead.

However, I will not be judging either party until I am more aware of what exactly has gone (is going) on.  

I will give it probably until Christmas before I give up on it ever happening.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 97
diehardmariner
August 7, 2019, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Is that as high as you want to go?
We need investment in our training facilities as well as a new ground. Our core support does not cover these as well as buying and paying better players.
There are more better funded clubs in the conference waiting to come up which with their money will push us further down the league pyramid  
For all his faults Fenty has put in what he can afford, but he doesn't have the personal wealth to put in what we need and can't find someone to take us further. We just aren't attractive enough to potential investors. Our only hope is for a local self made millionaire to take over and invest some of their fortune in Town. That doesn't look likely so we are left where we are.

Of course I want us to go higher. In the next few sentences I say how I would like to see us grow as a club, bit by bit with reinvestment from success.  

If the likes of Salford, Fylde etc. come up and surpass us then so be it.  Their bubble will burst.  I would rather we became a sustainable yet progressive club with small improvements made year on year rather than a flash in the pan who chucks money at it only to crash and burn within a few years.  We can look down the A180 to Scunny as a club who have relied on a rich benefactor, sailed too close to the sun and had their wings burnt and we can look down the A46 to Lincoln who have reinvested their success into the club itself and are reaping the benefits.  I know which model I would rather us follow.

The idea that we need a minted owner who is stupid enough to throw money at it carries no weight with me.  It's the last thing I want in all honesty.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 7, 2019, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Of course I want us to go higher. In the next few sentences I say how I would like to see us grow as a club, bit by bit with reinvestment from success.  

If the likes of Salford, Fylde etc. come up and surpass us then so be it.  Their bubble will burst.  I would rather we became a sustainable yet progressive club with small improvements made year on year rather than a flash in the pan who chucks money at it only to crash and burn within a few years.  We can look down the A180 to Scunny as a club who have relied on a rich benefactor, sailed too close to the sun and had their wings burnt and we can look down the A46 to Lincoln who have reinvested their success into the club itself and are reaping the benefits.  I know which model I would rather us follow.

The idea that we need a minted owner who is stupid enough to throw money at it carries no weight with me.  It's the last thing I want in all honesty.

Ah yes, Lincoln City - they must have heeded that advice Mr Fenty gave them!
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 97
lukeo
August 8, 2019, 10:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,352
Gold Stars: 142

I obviously don't speak for everyone, but surely we don't want a money man throwing money at the club recklessly, we want someone with a long term vision, to grow the club across Lincolnshire, and with growth will come extra revenue sources, which in term leads to a better youth program, which leads to more sales of players.  Someone like Andy Holt at Accrington Stanley, who is slowly but surely building a community club, yes he has thrown some of his own money at the club, but he never wants it back, but the way he is going about business is marvelous.  So as long as the can pay JF off and get him out of the club and have a little reserve, then i'm happy.  

We don't need money, as we are making are making £200k profit a year and have balance books, we need vision more.

I say this way to often lately but Andy is the ideal chairman of a football club. I am only on twitter to read what he does/says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 97
TheRealJohnLewis
August 8, 2019, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

I say this way to often lately but Andy is the ideal chairman of a football club. I am only on twitter to read what he does/says.

I follow him as well, This is the latest thread on twitter which sums up how GTFC need to move forward:

Quoted from Andy Holt on Twitter
You know running a football club like @ASFCofficial has been one of the most challenging jobs I’ve ever done.

I go through massive periods of self doubt, how should I run it? What issues are important? what is the end goal? how do we get there? why is that the end goal? what matters? what core values are we trying to live by? is my paradigm of football correct? why am I the only man in the regiment that is in step? am I going about it all wrong? what if I fail? is football right for me? am I right for football? am I right for Accrington Stanley?

On an on, more and questions.

So. We are formed as people by our past experiences and lessons learned whilst a child but is this right for @ASFCofficial? are my personal values, formed over 50 odd years holding our club back? Studying all the above I believe I’m right, which is why we operate as we do. And by right, I mean steady sustainable growth, managed budget, security of long term health of the club, integrated with all local stakeholders with community, supporters, council and even the chip shop, pubs, town centre benefitting.

Believe me I have tried all ways to run businesses and failed a few times. I know the routes to failure because I’ve travelled them.

Let’s look at the options.

If I put £3m in to @ASFCofficial to bring our budget more in line and competitive with other clubs, many of which are gambling, what are the odds of promotion? What are the reduced odds of relegation? If we are promoted, what amount is needed then to compete? An extra £10m? £20m? In @SkyBetChamp rich clubs are selling their stadia for £80m to compete within the rules.  @WayneRooney is coming back to the UK paid for by bookies to play IN THE LEAGUE ABOVE ACCRINGTON STANLEY.  If I put £10m or £20m in what are the chances of success? In my view, I’d be spending £25m (that I don’t have) on a fools mission. So that option is out. The other option of sustainable slow growth is our only option. To build a great, the best, community club.  Run in the way our supporters want. A great, the best, day out a club we can be proud of.

But those running football are diametrically oppose to my thinking. I don’t fit, which is why there are permanent issues. @premierleague @EFL @FA  organisations are set up deliberately to conflict with steady, well managed secure clubs. I accept I may be wrong, but I can’t bring myself to risk our club.

I’m drunk off at the players we’re chasing going to other clubs. It’s very difficult not to pay the extra to get your man. This window has been Coley’s worst. He’s struggled to compete.  I asked him what he thinks we should do his response is, keep going, we’re building a great club for the town. Jimmy said, ‘do not let us ruin what we’re creating together’ ‘That’s your job Andy’ ‘Our job is to do the best we possibly can with what we’ve got’ And you know what? That’s what we will continue to do under my stewardship. A change in the way we work would need a different owner. It might be more exciting for a while gambling, but when the music stops, everyone pays the price.

So how does that relate to GTFC, yes we have had balanced books and have spent within our means thanks to JF, but that's it we haven't grown or progressed just stagnated. We haven't "integrated with all local stakeholders with community, supporters, council and even the chip shop, pubs, town centre benefitting" JF has alienated key stakeholders at the club, Press, fans, Police, Mighty Mariner (for a while) etc.

We need better.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 97
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2019, 3:32pm
Meths Drinker

I follow him as well, This is the latest thread on twitter which sums up how GTFC need to move forward:

So how does that relate to GTFC, yes we have had balanced books and have spent within our means thanks to JF, but that's it we haven't grown or progressed just stagnated. We haven't "integrated with all local stakeholders with community, supporters, council and even the chip shop, pubs, town centre benefitting" JF has alienated key stakeholders at the club, Press, fans, Police, Mighty Mariner (for a while) etc.

We need better.

The first part is the clue. Holt has doubts and questions what he does. He’s had failures, which he acknowledges and learns from. Doubt is healthy.

Can you imagine our esteemed leader questioning his own judgement?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 97
jock dock tower
August 8, 2019, 4:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Errrr.....no.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 97
AussieMariner
August 8, 2019, 7:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The first part is the clue. Holt has doubts and questions what he does. He’s had failures, which he acknowledges and learns from. Doubt is healthy.

Can you imagine our esteemed leader questioning his own judgement?

Humility and intelligence? Hmmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 97
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 8, 2019, 10:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
It's strange how many people you can talk to and 'not before he's gone' is the answer to the going to games scenario.

And, from what am led to believe, there's a certain toxicity around the club that prevents players etc from signing.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 97
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Fenty interview today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.